Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: icicle  (Read 2985 times)

ljdart

• http://www.bertdalmolen.com
icicle
« on: January 18, 2010, 06:17:13 am »

A few days ago a slow thaw spreaded in the country. Since we are living in an old house all kinds of problems with roof-tiles and gutters emerge. The drains are still frozen and the snow also has crept under the tiles, then the melt-water wants to go to the lowest places and that may not be the gutters or the pipes.  When it starts freezing in the nights icicles grow. The melting shapes can be fascinating, even sexy. Some may even think it is all about melting nudes and scapes.  Done with a nikon d200 and a 2.8 macro vr etc.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:40:38 am by ljdart »

Roger Calixto

icicle
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 03:42:22 pm »

Nice shots! I love the texture, but I would have used a little more DOF. I found the shallow DOF here to be a little ditracting from the texture ... crisp edges I think would have given the pics more punch.

just my $0.02 =)
--------------
If my day job wasn't so cool, I'd quit and be a photographer =)

ljdart

• http://www.bertdalmolen.com
icicle
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 05:52:37 pm »

Quote from: Roger Calixto
Nice shots! I love the texture, but I would have used a little more DOF. I found the shallow DOF here to be a little ditracting from the texture ... crisp edges I think would have given the pics more punch.

just my $0.02 =)

Thank you for your kind comments, it made me look closer into the images.
Perhaps I should not have included the last image because I have not been critical enough with the focus. I have some doubs now when looking at it.  But I like the other ones as they are. Adding some dof would lessen the mystery.

loonsailor

icicle
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:19:57 am »

I agree with ljdart.  I think these images would benefit from being sharper.  DOF is always a challenge with macro.  You might even try "bracketing" with the same EV but different f-stops to see what you get.

Also, they are very flat - no blacks, very gray highlights.  I'm sure the weather was very overcast when you shot them, but if you get some more interesting light during the day that might help, or even just bringing up the black level and/or exposure in your software.  Not looking for high contrast, just a bit more depth.

I love the textures!
Pages: [1]   Go Up