Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soft Proof Files  (Read 2025 times)

Mark F

Soft Proof Files
« on: January 17, 2010, 10:04:27 pm »

I edit in LR and soft proof a duplicate copy in PS.  It seemed like a good idea to save the soft proofed duplicate file so that I could make an identical print in the future without having to struggle to get to the same adjustments. But the the duplicate copy is between 4 and 5 times the size of the original, even with the layers flattened.  Are you saving your soft proof files? Is there a way around the giant file size?

Thanks.
Mark

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Soft Proof Files
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 10:37:02 pm »

Soft proofing shouldn't alter file size at all. What specifically are you doing when you make you printer-specific copy of the image file?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Soft Proof Files
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:05:25 am »

If what you are referring to is the growth in file size from the raw version to the converted version, this is normal and can't be eliminated. Once your file is converted, if you do what I do, you would usually add a Curves adjustment layer for making final luminosity edits under soft-proof. That adjustment layer will also add to the file size. I do not recommend flattening this file, because you may wish to repurpose the image for other uses. Keeping the adjustment layer intact allows you to do that in a non-destructive manner. Store the file with adjustment layers intact. Storage is inexpensive these days. I like to name my adjustment layers for the soft-proof condition I used when first applying them, so I have a built-in memo-item of what the adjustments relate to.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

francois

Soft Proof Files
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 03:23:42 am »

I second Mark's comments, I also keep my soft-proofed files with all the layers. Yes, file size is important, at least compared to the RAW file.
Francois

Mark F

Soft Proof Files
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 09:29:22 am »

I agree that keeping the layers in tact is a good idea but am amazed at the size of the files.

To put some numbers on this, a raw file of 23m when saved varies between 120-250m, depending whether the file has been flattened. There have been no more than 3 layers: curves, levels and hue/saturation.  Tweaks, not major edits.

This is my workflow: edit in LR2, open in CS4 to softproof, make any required adjustments in PS, save back to LR2 using the Save command (not "Save As").  Unflattened the file size with three layers jumps to about 250m. Flattened it goes down to 120-130m.

Storage is inexpensive but at that rate I can fill up drives pretty quickly.
Mark

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Soft Proof Files
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 09:55:25 am »

If you are working in 16-bit those numbers are perfectly normal. The amount of tweaking you do on an adjustment layer makes no difference to the file size. As long as the layer is there, the size increases.

Here in Toronto I just bought a 1 TB LaCie Stark external USB drive for CAD 143. My average file size works out to about 140 MB (On average, I don't need much adjusting in PS after exporting from LR) and I try to keep things as lean as fesible. 1 TB = 1 million MB, so that drive will store about 7000 such images, which works out to about 2 cents storage cost per image file. If only making and storing the prints were so cheap!

Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

francois

Soft Proof Files
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 10:03:24 am »

Quote from: Mark F

To put some numbers on this, a raw file of 23m when saved varies between 120-250m, depending whether the file has been flattened. There have been no more than 3 layers: curves, levels and hue/saturation.  Tweaks, not major edits.
This is in line with what I have with my 1Ds3 files. I tend to have even bigger files depending on the tweaks (averaging around 300GB).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 10:04:07 am by francois »
Francois

Mark F

Soft Proof Files
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 10:03:29 am »

Mark, you are right When you do the math the cost is really low even taking backup into account.  Still, it makes me appreciate LR's approach to editing by instruction rather than changing pixels.  If LR3 does incorporate soft  proofing I hope they find a way to do it by using virtual copies.

Thanks again.

Quote from: Mark D Segal
If you are working in 16-bit those numbers are perfectly normal. The amount of tweaking you do on an adjustment layer makes no difference to the file size. As long as the layer is there, the size increases.

Here in Toronto I just bought a 1 TB LaCie Stark external USB drive for CAD 143. My average file size works out to about 140 MB (On average, I don't need much adjusting in PS after exporting from LR) and I try to keep things as lean as fesible. 1 TB = 1 million MB, so that drive will store about 7000 such images, which works out to about 2 cents storage cost per image file. If only making and storing the prints were so cheap!
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up