Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Abstract landscape from Spain  (Read 1837 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Abstract landscape from Spain
« on: January 17, 2010, 06:10:26 am »

Here something a bit different from Mar Menor in south-eastern Spanish coast. Taken during the past Christmas in balmy 20 degrees. Not much post-processing, slight saturation bump in the sky, histogram stretched a bit at both ends to utilize most of the dynamic range, and a bit of fill light added to the water to make it lighter.

The low contrast resonates strongly with me, and love the subtlety of the print.

The original is significantly larger, cropped from a 42MP 2x3 frame stitched shot - the cropping was the main challenge and I pained over it for days. I originally wanted to make this square with a centered horizon and hills, but the choppy water became too dominant and changed the mood to be much gloomier. I feel this gives the best balance, with the "tear" in the bright sky balancing out the heavy tones of the sliver of water - and this photo demands balance.

Would like to know if this works for anyone else!

Canon 450D, 85mm f/1.8 @ f/5.6 and 1/800.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 09:18:25 am »

Harri,

I think it works well, and the format you chose feels much better than a square would. I'll bet it looks good (and other-worldly) in a large print.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 11:25:51 am »

The format you chose is very pleasing and the image also. I don't see a square crop in your photo, probably because of the shape of the blue sky opening and the distant islands.
Francois

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 01:23:31 pm »

Thank you for the comments!

Quote from: francois
The format you chose is very pleasing and the image also. I don't see a square crop in your photo, probably because of the shape of the blue sky opening and the distant islands.

Yeah, there's no square crop left in that, but the crop you see is from a larger stitch - but agree, the composition is better served with a rectangular crop.

francois

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 01:43:16 pm »

Quote from: feppe
Thank you for the comments!

Yeah, there's no square crop left in that, but the crop you see is from a larger stitch - but agree, the composition is better served with a rectangular crop.
Thanks for the explanation...
Francois

John R

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 10:25:44 pm »

I think the blue "tear" makes the image. I think the placement of the mountain in the centre works because it is panoramic in width, which de-emphasizes its central placement. It sure reminds me of a trip to PEI in Canada where I had an overcast day with a few blue "tears" and the polarizer created very similar blues. Very nice and interesting look of blue to white monotones. And as you say, the low contrast gives the image a subtle quality.

JMR

Pages: [1]   Go Up