Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: RM3D Day 1  (Read 14203 times)

JdeV

• http://www.jonathandevilliers.com
RM3D Day 1
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 06:56:33 am »

Quote from: John Eaton
Here's a few more Rm3d examples of a slightly different architectural subject -- and echoing a previous post, I use a leica disto laser rangefinder to accurately measure distance then use a table to translate this into a value for the helical (works well in poorly-lit cathedrals!)

[attachment=19559:Wells_Ch...er_House.jpg]   [attachment=19556:Norwich_East_End.jpg]
[attachment=19558:Salisbur...Crossing.jpg]    [attachment=19555:Ely_North_Transept.jpg]
[attachment=19557:Peterbor...el_Vault.jpg]

Very interesting. Have you found this technique 100% reliable? How well does it work with tilt?

CBarrett

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 10:12:23 am »

I'm sadly packing up the Rm3d to return to Arca and preparing to head back out of town for another shoot.  I wish I was taking the R with me!  I didn't have a chance to do a critical test of range focusing but did do a few captures after Martin explained the approach to me.

It's actually quite simple:  The helical focus mechanism is engraved with numbers from 0 to 34 around it's perimeter.  Once you mount a calibrated lens, setting the focus at 0 will give you infinity focus.  You can use the provided tables and range measurements (via tape measure or distance finder) to know which number to set for a given distance.  As I understand the E Module, it alerts you when you achieve focus without the need for tables.  The lenses come with a step ring that is removed for focusing with a Rotaslide back.  If you plan on using a third party slider, you can still remove the step ring to allow focusing but will have to devise your own focus table.

Here's what I like about that idea, with variances in the manufacture of digital backs, mounting adapters and focusing screens you can throw critical alignment out the window.  I've been researching having my groundglass carrier machined to critical focus in alignment with my digital back adapter (including trying various focusing screens) and with the range system you can create a lookup table for your particular odds and ends that no longer relies on the accuracy of your eyes or alignment of various adapters.  Simply shoot scenes of several distances while tethered, note the numbers on the ring where you achieve focus for the given distance and you have your own table that will provide you with accurate focus time after time.  Done.  Why, I might even consider shooting untethered.... ME!

I've been arguing with the plate camera shooters thread after thread after thread and now I'm forced to admit... you guys might be on to something...

LoL.

Cheers from Chilly Chicago,

CB

Oh to answer the swing question... there is only tilt (geared).  If you needed swing instead, you could rotate the body 90 deg, though I don't believe there is a 90 deg mount (so via tripod head then).

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
RM3D Day 1
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 10:40:19 am »

Chris:

Here's my rubber-meets-the-road question:  You can only choose either the M2 or the RM3D, both with Rotaslide, and your typical venue is shooting in the field, not tabletop. You do not usually shoot hand-held, though admittedly compelling with super wide.  Your 4 lens spread would be the 23, 40HRW, 70HRW, and 135. Money is not a consideration other than you can't keep both .  Which body do you keep and why?

I am leaning to the M2 for the added mounting flexibility (you can adapt and focus almost anything on it), movements at both ends, and the ability to combine swing and tilt.  Obviously all this at the expense of compactness, simplicity in use and rigidity -- which is why I am conflicted
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 10:45:15 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

CBarrett

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 10:49:34 am »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
Chris:

Here's my rubber-meets-the-road question:  You can only choose either the M2 or the RM3D, both with Rotaslide, and your typical venue is shooting in the field, not tabletop. You do not usually shoot hand-held, though admittedly compelling with super wide.  Your 4 lens spread would be the 23, 40HRW, 70HRW, and 135. Money is not a consideration other than you can't keep both .  Which body do you keep and why?

I am leaning to the M2 for the added mounting flexibility (you can adapt and focus almost anything on it), movements at both ends, and the ability to combine swing and tilt.  Obviously all this at the expense of compactness, simplicity in use and rigidity -- which is why I am conflicted

At first I was like, Man.... how am I going to answer that?  Simple.  I have a conditional answer  : )

If Interiors > Exteriors Then M2
Else Rm3d
End

-Kobayashi Maru

by the way... I'm impressed enough with the R that I'm selling my 645 DF (as little as I've used it, makes more sense to carry the R as a 2nd camera)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 11:03:59 am by CBarrett »

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
RM3D Day 1
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 11:49:42 am »

Quote from: CBarrett
-Kobayashi Maru

Exactly the problem...  

In my case, I shoot mostly landscape with an occasional product and architecture gig. So I could make an easy excuse for both/either.  But leaning toward the M2 for it's ability to T&S at the same time, which I did use regularly when I shot landscape with a view cam.  But then there's the size and sex factor for the RM3D

Also in my case, I am SOOO impressed with the AF speed and accuracy on the new DF body, coupled with the short shutter lag when combined with the P65+, coupled with the fact I can BIN and get spotless 15MP of ISO 1600 and usable 15MP of ISO 3200, that I just yesterday listed all of my Canon gear for sale.  So at least for me, the DF is staying and more lenses are being added to the system -- and the tech camera will be the second body.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:19:52 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack

archivue

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 01:20:33 pm »

Chris:

My two cents...

RM3D !

Better for accurate focusing
Better for Helicon stuff
More rigid in windy condition
Can be used handheld
300% quicker in the field
less bulky

Still the M2 is really nice, and considering that you don't need to calibrate lenses with it, it's much more affordable... but you say "Money is not a consideration"...

if in rare case you miss Bellows camera, you can ad an F line in second hand for cheap.

bavanor

• http://AsBrittonphoto.com
RM3D Day 1
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 01:33:27 pm »

Chris,
Where are you finding the Arca RM3D for sale in the States?

Aaron Britton
http://asbrittonphoto.com/
Aaron Britton
[url=http://AsBrittonphoto

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
RM3D Day 1
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2010, 01:47:44 pm »

Quote from: archivue
My two cents...

RM3D !

Better for accurate focusing
Better for Helicon stuff
More rigid in windy condition
Can be used handheld
300% quicker in the field
less bulky

Still the M2 is really nice, and considering that you don't need to calibrate lenses with it, it's much more affordable... but you say "Money is not a consideration"...

if in rare case you miss Bellows camera, you can ad an F line in second hand for cheap.

But the F-line's and older M-lines do not have as fine of gearing as the new M-2, so at least in theory, the M-2 should be more precise for digital?

As Chris said, it's a "Kobayashi Maru" conundrum -- both systems have their own sets of benefits and pitfalls, and it's on each of us to figure out which set we can live better with.  Chris OTOH chose to cover all his tech bases, but gave up the DF kit to fund it. Only safe answer is to buy all three, but I definitely cannot afford it, so looking for a single tech solution to compliment my DF.  And it is a tradeoff for the RM's size, convenience and rigidity against the M-2's enhanced movements and overall flexibility.  In the end, my two most used focals would be the 40HR and 70HR, and I could probably live without having both swing and tilt 80% of the time, so you are probably correct that the RM3D should get the nod.  But then....
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 01:53:02 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack

TMARK

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2010, 01:52:59 pm »

Can you shoot film with the M2?  And what is a ball park in terms of price?

Thanks!

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
RM3D Day 1
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 01:55:52 pm »

Quote from: TMARK
Can you shoot film with the M2?  And what is a ball park in terms of price?

Thanks!

Probably up to 6x9, as I am pretty sure it has the standard Arca 110 rear standard.  THe basic camera with digital back adapter plates are essentially the same price, and the rotaslide is identical for both.  The big difference is lenses -- actually lens mounts. The M-line uses basic Arca boards at $200 each, while the R dual-tube mounts look to add about $1000 to $1500 per lens.
Jack

TMARK

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2010, 02:01:44 pm »

Probably up to 6x9, as I am pretty sure it has the standard Arca 110 rear standard.  THe basic camera with digital back adapter plates are essentially the same price, and the rotaslide is identical for both.  The big difference is lenses -- actually lens mounts. The M-line uses basic Arca boards at $200 each, while the R dual-tube mounts look to add about $1000 to $1500 per lens.

Thanks Jack.

archivue

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2010, 03:22:59 pm »

Quote from: GBPhoto
Is this actually the case?  Can anyone confirm that the M-2 has finer gearing than the older F or M cameras?

The M2 seems more precised in all aspects, except that it shares the same type of rail with all the F line and M line models...

JdeV

• http://www.jonathandevilliers.com
RM3D Day 1
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2010, 04:03:24 pm »

Quote from: GBPhoto
That's why I'm wondering.  Since it uses the same rail, the gearing must match and therefore the focus throw should be the same.
If my memory serves me right, Martin from Arca told me it was the same.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
RM3D Day 1
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2010, 05:16:37 pm »

Quote from: JdeV
If my memory serves me right, Martin from Arca told me it was the same.

I stand corrected -- I was told they were "finer" by somebody who demoed one and took their word for it.  What about the gearing on the standards for tilt, swing, rise, fall, shift and Orbix???
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 05:17:19 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack

John Eaton

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 12:08:26 am »

Quote from: DanielStone
John,

1stly, beautiful shots there, I really like the ones of the ceilings!

just out of curiosity though, where did you pick up your Disto? also, you don't happen to be using one of the dedicated b/w P1 45+ backs, do you?

i remember reading about a special run that P1 did on those, expensive little buggers?! something reminds me that P1 also was thinking about a dedicated P65+ run too, not sure if that was going to happen, think they needed like 100 or so pre-paid orders for them...

oh well, 4x5 TMAX still for me

-Dan

Dan: Thanks, glad you like them.   I got the disto on ebay -- and I'm just using a standard p45+  John.

John Eaton

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2010, 12:12:59 am »

Quote from: JdeV
Very interesting. Have you found this technique 100% reliable? How well does it work with tilt?

It works very well for me -- I have a detailed table (from Arca) to convert distance to helical number.  I've not used tilt a lot (yet!) but thinking about plane of focus and where I want the focal point to be seems to be working for me.  John.

John Eaton

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2010, 12:17:46 am »

Quote from: bavanor
Chris,
Where are you finding the Arca RM3D for sale in the States?

Aaron Britton
http://asbrittonphoto.com/

Aaron:  I got mine through Rod Klukas at Photomark in Phoenix -- he's very knowledgeable and helpful.  I think I saw a post somewhere that Capture Integration (Atlanta & Miami) were planning to carry them.  JOhn.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
RM3D Day 1
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2010, 01:19:42 pm »

Quote from: John Eaton
Aaron:  I got mine through Rod Klukas at Photomark in Phoenix -- he's very knowledgeable and helpful.  I think I saw a post somewhere that Capture Integration (Atlanta & Miami) were planning to carry them.  JOhn.

We do indeed. Or already do, as it were. Sold an Arca Swiss M2 MF to a customer at the start of the year and it was in stock! (to our very pleasant extreme surprise).  

Steve Hendrix
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 01:21:39 pm by Steve Hendrix »
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

schaubild

RM3D Day 1
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2010, 11:05:11 pm »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix
We do indeed. Or already do, as it were. Sold an Arca Swiss M2 MF to a customer at the start of the year and it was in stock! (to our very pleasant extreme surprise).  

Steve Hendrix

It surprises me that you have to be very pleasant extrelemy surprised about a manufacturer who claims to build professional cameras that they have something in stock? Other brands in this segment don't have to mention this specifically, they just deliver in time.

Just a thought.

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
RM3D Day 1
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2010, 11:18:37 pm »

Quote from: schaubild
It surprises me that you have to be very pleasant extrelemy surprised about a manufacturer who claims to build professional cameras that they have something in stock? Other brands in this segment don't have to mention this specifically, they just deliver in time.

Just a thought.

Those of us who over the years have tried to get Arca products in a timely fashion aren't surprised. Some have been in stock, some have been easily obtainable, others decidedly not. I kept doubles of all 4x5 and 8x10 f-line pieces as there was no way I was going to play russian roulette if something went down. And then I still kept a tk45s in the closet ... They make wonderful products, and it's nice to see another US dealer roll the dice and make a go of selling them. Rod always did a good job, but even he couldn't get what didn't exist.

As for other manufacturers actually "deliver[ing] in time", well there are many here who will take issue with that as well. Phase lenses; HB 60 back, live view ... Pentax MF camera
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 11:22:01 pm by asf »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up