Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What happened to Adobe's enthusiasm about Lightroom?  (Read 1495 times)

J. Paul

What happened to Adobe's enthusiasm about Lightroom?
« on: January 16, 2010, 05:20:32 pm »

May be a bit of a stretch for a topic, but I have been thinking a lot lately about the history of Adobe Lightroom.  As an early Beta tester for version 1, I go way back with the product and find the current version indispensable for my photography workflow.  When the product first appeared there was so much energy/money going in to the product and it was being promoted in some very unique ways.  Remember the Lightroom Adventures to Iceland and then later Madagascar? Just reading about the talent pool that was testing Lightroom in these exotic locals made you want it even more.  I loved hearing from the brains that worked on this product like Mark Hamburg,  who later left Adobe for Microsoft and has sense returned.  I haven't heard a peep from him since his return.  What are you working on Mark?  I miss the reassuring voice of George Jardine and his many podcasts promoting and explaining the virtues of Lightroom.  I think I know the answer to my own question.  I am guessing that it is the economy.  I know Adobe (like so many other companies) has been impacted by the downturn.  Maybe it is because the product is maturing and doesn't need as much promotion.  All I can say is that I miss the excitement.  While the product is revolutionary, it still has a long way to go.  I am hoping that things pick up for everyone and that Lightroom gets another major infusion of excitement.
J. Paul

michael

What happened to Adobe's enthusiasm about Lightroom?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 05:45:30 pm »

The answer may simply be that Lightroom is becoming a relatively mature product, with close to dominant market share. The early promotions and marketing hype aren't necessary any more.

Also, the product is between versions, with version 3 in beta. When this ships you'll likely see the Adobe marketing machine back in action.

Michael
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 05:46:18 pm by michael »
Pages: [1]   Go Up