Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there going to come a time..  (Read 11274 times)

bcooter

Is there going to come a time..
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2010, 10:26:40 am »

I can offer a thousand suggestions for moving equipment round' da world, but if you want to limit your lighting kit, move to umbrellas.

One case of umbrellas and you can have 8' to 2' modifiers that are soft, hard, directional or broad and they cost like a buck fifty a piece.

You don't need specialty cases, speed rings, you usually don't need heavy stands and with a magic clamp you can usually mount a monolight and a continuous light on each stand, so you can switch from flash to continuous (still to video) in an instant.

BC

gwhitf

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2010, 11:07:18 am »

Quote from: bcooter
I can offer a thousand suggestions for moving equipment round' da world, but if you want to limit your lighting kit, move to umbrellas.

I had one hell of a quarter at the end of 2009. To address this baggage issue, I took the fees from those jobs, and in the downtime, I've been hopping on international flights. I go on there with a special handmade bracket that I came up with in my one-room cabin in Montana -- it holds two Canon 5D2s. One is set to Video; the other one is set to still JPG High. (I tested my rig with two medium format cameras, but they wouldn't shoot at high enough ASA, and there was moire in the underwear pattern, and there was mirror slap from the plane turbulence, and the file sizes were ridiculously large for internet download). I also travel with a writer and a Navy Seal by my side. My plan is to hopefully be seated next to The Next HalfAss Underwear Guy, and when he whips out his untested gear, I'll be there with my double-cable-release, shooting Video and Stills. The plan is for the Navy Seal to take the guy down while I'm shooting my Canon 5D2's, and the Video footage will be marketed, via the onboard internet feed, to CNN, or anyone else that'll bid higher, and the stills will be marketed thru Getty. Bidding starts at seven figures for each media. After that, the writer that's with me will be downloading his pitch to my pre-arranged Hollywood agents, for movie rights of the story of the takedown by the Navy Seal. I will take the proceeds from these acquisitions and buy my own GulfStream IV, so I'll never have to allow TSA to do a full-body-scan of me, thus exposing my Achilles Heel, and having the girls continue to laugh at me.

If I was on a job, I'd certainly consider shipping the gear in a hard pelican, with ZipTies, in advance, via Fedex or DHL or related. If I was carrying it on, I'd get one of those Marlin Perkins vests, and fill each pocket, and check the rest. I'd also make double-sure that everything was insured, world wide. I've heard lots of stories from photographers, about the gear arriving, and there's a body or lens conveniently missing. We try to walk it over to TSA, and ask them nicely to slip ZipTies into the slots, after they've zapped it. Sometimes they'll do it, if you're nice. Sometimes not, if they're stressed.

I hit the road Wednesday for many cities; I've been researching it too:

Photographers should note the following items

Photographers should be aware that cameras, lenses and electronics are NOT covered by the airline's lost or damaged luggage policy, so if at all possible photographic equipment (and computers) should to placed in your carry-on baggage and NOT in your checked baggage. In fact most airlines won't compensate you for anything that they lose or damage in your checked baggage except for clothing. If you have no choice but to ship photographic items in checked baggage, make sure you either have them independently insured or that you can afford to lose them.

Note that the TSA allows airlines to permit passengers to carry on a bag of photographic equipment (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1248.shtm) in addition to the standard carry-on and one personal item. However most airlines restrict passengers to one carry-on and one personal item only.

Effective January 1, 2008, you may not pack spare lithium batteries in your checked baggage. You may pack spare lithium batteries in your carry-on baggage.

For travelers departing from airports in the USA, the TSA has a list of prohibited items here - http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/pro...ited-items.shtm
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 10:02:09 am by gwhitf »

bcooter

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2010, 02:29:01 am »

Quote from: gwhitf
Effective January 1, 2008, you may not pack spare lithium batteries in your checked baggage. You may pack spare lithium batteries in your carry-on baggage.

For travelers departing from airports in the USA, the TSA has a list of prohibited items here

Today flew to LAX.  13 checked bags, 6 carry ons with three people.  Same procedure as always, no extra checks, no different limits on the carry ons, same type of security check, no problems.

Actually maybe because it was a Holiday, easier faster than usual.  There was some guy that had a roller case and brief case and together the thing seemed taller than him.  He could have been smuggling short people it was so big.

In regards to Lithium or any batteries I have a standing rule to put a tab of gaff tape over all contacts.  Maybe it's overkill, maybe not.

BC
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:42:11 am by bcooter »

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2010, 06:19:45 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
Today flew to LAX.  13 checked bags, 6 carry ons with three people.  Same procedure as always, no extra checks, no different limits on the carry ons, same type of security check, no problems.

Actually maybe because it was a Holiday, easier faster than usual.  There was some guy that had a roller case and brief case and together the thing seemed taller than him.  He could have been smuggling short people it was so big.

In regards to Lithium or any batteries I have a standing rule to put a tab of gaff tape over all contacts.  Maybe it's overkill, maybe not.

BC

You are the man!!

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2010, 04:47:20 am »

Quote from: KLaban
What really pisses me off about air travel are Mr and Mrs Lard Arse. They sail through check-in, a combined weight of 600lbs, and yet I'm the one that's pulled because my camera bag is 1 KG over. Once air-side the Lard Arses proceed to buy up Duty Free and struggle to climb the aircraft stairs with their laden bags.

Makes me mad.

soon mr and mrs lard arse are going to have to pay extra if they want to fly with KLM or Air france
hopefully more airlines will follow suit

sorry only dutch article
http://www.nrc.nl/economie/article2462753....duurder_bij_KLM

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2010, 08:59:39 am »

Quote from: KLaban
What really pisses me off about air travel are Mr and Mrs Lard Arse. They sail through check-in, a combined weight of 600lbs, and yet I'm the one that's pulled because my camera bag is 1 KG over. Once air-side the Lard Arses proceed to buy up Duty Free and struggle to climb the aircraft stairs with their laden bags.

Makes me mad.

+1

Marlyn

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2010, 04:55:46 pm »

{ignore}
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 04:58:04 pm by Marlyn »

pschefz

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2010, 02:56:29 pm »

body scanner at work....works great!
german TV