Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there going to come a time..  (Read 11271 times)

pcunite

Is there going to come a time..
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 03:01:08 pm »

Quote from: feppe
The world has gone crazy.

Just wait until the governments of the world unify and a required electronic ID is given to every human being... for your safely of course.

erick.boileau

• http://
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 03:15:49 pm »

Quote from: infocusinc
Yes, it is crazy, but what is the answer?

Reduce  he security and after the next attempt actually works, who will scream for the security agents (and politicians) heads the loudest?

to live your time free and happy without fear , and to accept to die when it will come

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 03:19:14 pm »

Quote from: pcunite
Just wait until the governments of the world unify and a required electronic ID is given to every human being... for your safely of course.

Our government has already started this, including the mandatory fingerprint sets of every citizen as well. Next thing they are working on is a GPS transponder in all of our cars for which we have to pay ourselves. Yeah, there is a reason why the Dutch were called the Chinese of the West...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 03:22:16 pm by Dustbak »

Joe Behar

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 03:59:49 pm »

Quote from: erick.boileau
to live your time free and happy without fear , and to accept to die when it will come

Not by the hands of some crazed lunatic terrorist, if I can help it.

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 04:02:51 pm »

The part that really bothers me is that they WILL eventually force everyone to check their luggage but they won't do anything to protect that persons property in the luggage.  Insurance is obviously an option but that won't do you much good when you arrive in Africa, South America, Alaska, Iceland, etc etc without your gear and only 3-4 days to shoot.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 04:06:26 pm »

Quote from: infocusinc
Yes, it is crazy, but what is the answer?

Reduce  he security and after the next attempt actually works, who will scream for the security agents (and politicians) heads the loudest?

I agree with Mr Schneier: it's security theater, not real security. There's no way to consolidate a free society and absolute security, so we have to just learn to live with the fact that 50 times more Americans die in lightning strikes than terrorist attacks. The investment should be in diplomacy rather than further security theater.

And it wouldn't hurt if westerners grew a set of balls and stopped demanding a nanny state. But it seems I'm asking too much judging from the repeated "oh well, if it makes me safer it's ok I guess" -statements from laypeople in the news.

Oh, and the Christmas terrorist attack wasn't an "attempt" - the guy cause literally billions worth of damage spanning years ahead in his "failed" attempt. Again, terrorists have won.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 04:08:17 pm by feppe »

Joe Behar

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 04:13:31 pm »

so we have to just learn to live with the fact that 50 times more Americans die in lightning strikes than terrorist attacks. n.

I can't believe I'm getting into this debate but....

Maybe its because we can stop terrorist attacks but can't stop lightning?

Back to lurking for me now, before I get myself in trouble.

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 04:15:38 pm »

Quote from: Joe Behar

We can't stop lightening strikes but we spend a lot of money directing and channeling them so that they don't cause damage.

feppe

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2010, 04:19:09 pm »

Quote from: Joe Behar

That's a false premise: we can't stop terrorism because it's a tactic, not a person or a group.

But agreed, I'm done with this subject here - back to photography.

Joe Behar

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 04:25:25 pm »

That's a false premise: we can't stop terrorism because it's a tactic, not a person or a group.

But agreed, I'm done with this subject here - back to photography.

Thank you feppe, I agree that if we're to have this discussion it needs to be moved to "the coffee corner", and I'm happy to exchange ideas and opinions there as long as we keep it respectful and polite.

By the way, I said we can stop attacks, not terrorism itself. It is indeed a tactic, but there things we can do about that too.

pschefz

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010, 06:06:00 pm »

i always use bags like the big lowepro......pelican cases are too big and heavy....they also scream "check me, please!" at security....

i have flown US-europe at least one or twice a year for the last 20 years and always thought (to myself) that with the stuff i am carrying on, i should be able to hide a bomb without any problems....2 or 3 cameras, lenses, flashes (handheld), laptop, batteries, chargers, pdas, cellphone,.....i really want to know how they can tell a spare laptop battery from plastic explosives....

make sure you have the local rental place prepared or at least their number and have talked to them....

and of course: a 5DII is available and relatively cheap (almost) anywhere.....and will do almost any job....

as for security checks: i am always amazed by: how many people have to wear belts, (or have to wear clothing with metal rings, hooks, studs,....) have a large amount of change(!), shoes that take 5 min to get on and off and generally (after wasting 5 minutes putting all this in the trays) walk through the scanner with their wallet or cellphone, so the whole dance starts over.....those are the people responsible for half the time in line....
schefz.com
artloch.com

feppe

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010, 06:18:02 pm »

Quote from: pschefz
as for security checks: i am always amazed by: how many people have to wear belts, (or have to wear clothing with metal rings, hooks, studs,....) have a large amount of change(!), shoes that take 5 min to get on and off and generally (after wasting 5 minutes putting all this in the trays) walk through the scanner with their wallet or cellphone, so the whole dance starts over.....those are the people responsible for half the time in line....

Because I don't let terrorists dictate the way I dress or what I keep in my pockets.

pschefz

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 07:40:50 pm »

Because I don't let terrorists dictate the way I dress or what I keep in my pockets.

i thought you were done with this?
but since you are: your answer to terrorism is to create long lines in airport security checks by carrying a pound in change, 2 belts and kneehigh lace up boots.....that is very adult! that is what i call activism...
schefz.com
artloch.com

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 09:02:58 pm »

What’s ironic is that once Homeland Security, Transportation Security Admin took over from the FAA the new bosses all told the Air Security Special Agents from the FAA that 9/11 was basically their fault and TSA can and will do it better.  It’s now 9 years later and the more thing change the more they stay the same.

I know this as I heard it myself from senior TSA management after they abolished all the FAA Special Agents jobs and forced them into the TSA.  Am I bitter?  Maybe a little, however I ended up retiring shortly afterwards and haven’t been to an airport since let alone on an airplane.   I drive where I want to go.  I’d consider a boat ride before I’ll fly again.

Cheers

Don

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 10:25:10 pm »

... it's security theater, not real security. There's no way to consolidate a free society and absolute security, so we have to just learn to live with the fact that 50 times more Americans die in lightning strikes than terrorist attacks. The investment should be in diplomacy rather than further security theater.

And it wouldn't hurt if westerners grew a set of balls and stopped demanding a nanny state. But it seems I'm asking too much judging from the repeated "oh well, if it makes me safer it's ok I guess" -statements from laypeople in the news.

Oh, and the Christmas terrorist attack wasn't an "attempt" - the guy cause literally billions worth of damage spanning years ahead in his "failed" attempt. Again, terrorists have won.
Amen, brother!

In spite of this "theater of the absurd" getting more and more grotesque, actual "security" has hardly improved in the ten years since 9/11. Today, as then, you stand statistically the same chance of carrying a gun or knife or even bomb through airport checkpoints unnoticed (and that chance is very significant: between 20-40% on average):

"... In tests conducted in 2006 and disclosed to USA Today last year, investigators successfully smuggled 75 percent of fake bombs through checkpoints at Los Angeles International Airport, 60 percent through Chicago's O'Hare International Airport and 20 percent at San Francisco International Airport..."
(from a CNN article: http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/28/tsa.bombtest/index.html)

In the meantime, morons in charge did not consider it "credible enough" or "actionable" when a high-ranking father rats out his own son, which then buys a one-way cash ticket and boards a plane to an a$$-freezing destination in the middle of winter with no luggage (except for a "warm" underwear).

The best airport security is done thousands of miles away from any airport.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 02:16:35 am »

Checking

I dont own any peli cases because they are too tempting

I use really 'naff' lugguage - a cheap suitcase with my billingham bag inside giving the actual protections - my latest suitcase is bright red having been rejected as 'uncool' by my friends 10 year old daughter  - I think it still has some Disney stickers on it

I carry on my primary billingham with enough bodies and lenses to do the job

Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

ThierryH

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 04:53:13 am »

Quote from: pschefz

I couldn't agree more: man did and do I loose my patience when those people walk through!

Thierry

feppe

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2010, 06:11:49 am »

The world really has gone mad. Last line of the article is priceless.

Yeah yeah, I'm done...

Edmund Sumner

• http://http://www.edmundsumner.co.uk/site/index.html
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 08:11:01 am »

I used to break into cold sweats at airports, when I was shooting on the 5/4 my travel kit weighed in 45-50k

things are much easier now with the arca/leaf kit but still we are looking at 15-20 k excl tripod

another photographer put me onto this company

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/r...amera-bags.aspx

fantastic i cram it with 20+kilos and it looks like your standard roll on, the lap top slides in a pouch at the back

I have had to drop it into their carry on luggage box a couple of times but thankfully have never been asked to weigh it

so light in fact that on a recent trip to India my checked in luggage (1 case ;0)) only weighed 13k

had to go out and buy a whole load of shorts etc in mumbai

best

Edmund

www.edmundsumner.co.uk

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2010, 08:24:09 am »

You should all go and see Up In The Air (some nice aerial shots there)

There are weeks where I go through airport security 4-6 times, carrying the exact same bag, with the same laptop/ camera/ lenses/ cables/ chargers/ batteries/ HD's/ toothbrush etc. and often wearing the same jacket/ belt/ shoes (no laces) and carrying the same mobile phone.

I can go through the exact same security station, manned by the same people on a Tuesday and they will strip everything off and pull me to one side for a 3rd degree and then on the Thursday of the same week I'd just sail through.

The bag is always over the low cost airlines' weight limit...but it only gets the Orange sticker 2 out of 10 times...(that sticker IS removable BTW...)
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up