Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there going to come a time..  (Read 11273 times)

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
Is there going to come a time..
« on: January 16, 2010, 05:09:01 pm »

Is there going to come a time when we aren't going to be able to have carry on luggage or at least VERY limited carry on luggage?

I recently flew to Houston with my H3d-50 and five lenses.  The pack was heavy and the security was tough.  They gave me a very hard time to the point that I almost canceled and walked away.  No way was I going to check that system.  I have been flying with camera equipment for a long time and in the "old days" the only real concern was the effect of x-ray equipment on film but that really wasn't a big deal unless you had multiple layovers and mulitple inspections.  But now, with the issues going on they are getting much less tolerant of equipment that they don't understand.

I can't imagine checking $30,000 worth of camera gear.

rolleiflexpages

• http://www.rolleiflexpages.com
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 05:18:36 pm »

Quote from: gdwhalen
Is there going to come a time when we aren't going to be able to have carry on luggage or at least VERY limited carry on luggage?

I recently flew to Houston with my H3d-50 and five lenses.  The pack was heavy and the security was tough.  They gave me a very hard time to the point that I almost canceled and walked away.  No way was I going to check that system.  I have been flying with camera equipment for a long time and in the "old days" the only real concern was the effect of x-ray equipment on film but that really wasn't a big deal unless you had multiple layovers and mulitple inspections.  But now, with the issues going on they are getting much less tolerant of equipment that they don't understand.

Guess that is (luckily for Europeans at least) rather an issue in the US than in continental Europe. I am flying almost every week and rarely have issues although security inspections have really become a pain in the you know where.
Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com

rolleiflexpages

• http://www.rolleiflexpages.com
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 05:21:00 pm »

You are quite right, this is not an option in particular when damage to checked luggage is as good as not compensated. I would not do it either and that includes leaving my camera stuff behind at the counter of some museums as well.
Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com

bcooter

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 05:29:01 pm »

sues going on they are getting much less tolerant of equipment that they don't understand.

it's just the way it is.

I check cameras a lot, sometimes carry on, but now have our main still kit down to two 1ds3's and a 5d2 with lenses.  No more three cases of cameras.

I insure it, don't worry about it and if something happens, I'll just rent or buy when I land.

Let's be realistic, worst case scenario you could buy a 5d2 and a few lenses almost anywhere on the planet.

For large projects we fedex, usually 8 to 12 cases.  

No reason to fight it out with the airlines, though if you get a press card, fly established long haul carriers and are lucky enough to go to major markets you will have a lot less angst.

For checking or shipping equipment I take an Iphone photo of every image including a closeup of the label.

I do the same with rentals such as grip trucks.  Any dent, any scrape I document, takes about 3 minutes so when it's returned you take no crap about who did it.  Same with license plates so if something get's towed you know the number.
[attachment=19501:fedx.jpg][attachment=19502:grip2.jpg]

BC

CBarrett

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 10:27:10 pm »

I just got back from Grand Junction Colorado.  I have one major carry on, my pelican case that holds the digi back, Arca, 6 lenses and a sliding back... that's worth about 60 grand.  No problem fitting it in the overhead on most jets.  On the puddle jumpers I just make sure my assistant and I are seated together and we can fit it under the two seats in front of us.

Coming home from Colorado, the agent was about to give us a gate check tag for the pelican and then was like, "Oh, is that your camera?  Nevermind"  Whenever I'm entering tricky territory with travel employees, I always start with a smile and explain my side of things without getting cocky... goes a long way.

-CB

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 01:52:15 am »

Good tip about the iPhone photos.
Could you explain about the presscard ?
I'm flying to NY in April to teach workshops so I have to carry both the mf and dslr kit.
I will be travelling with my wife and two backpacks with the gear and don't want check them.

I do have a presscard so that remark caught my eye.
Over here the card opens a lot of doors in difficult shooting areas.

DanielStone

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 03:27:33 am »

Quote from: bcooter
it's just the way it is.

BC

BC,

just out of curiosity, what kind of case is this? I've heard from friends and fellow colleauges about the "perils" of flying(especially int'l) with gear. Most have told me that generally the load is spread evenly amongst all those going, to keep the weight down in each bag, and also, less chance of everything getting lost at once(being in 1 bag).

-Dan

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 05:58:52 am »

Quote from: bcooter
Let's be realistic, worst case scenario you could buy a 5d2 and a few lenses almost anywhere on the planet.
BC
...Trouble is that you cannot buy an H4D-60, a Sinar P3, a sliding back and a full set of ready-mounted apo-digitars in electronic shutters anywhere on the planet in less than ¿ 2 or three weeks?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 06:30:48 am »

The best way to fight this is to let the airlines, tour operators and politicians know that you're fed up with the outrageous measures in the name of what Bruce Schneier calls "security theater".

Write the airline telling them that the "security" measures are not in line with the threat posed by terrorism, don't just complain at the check-in desk. Let them know that you are driving, taking the train, or forgoing travel every time you do so.

Write your elected official that rather than living in fear and let terrorists win by taking your/our freedoms away, you'd prefer to have the money invested in actions which make a difference rather than ineffective or invasive measures, such as forcing people to sit during the last hour of the flight, or subjecting them to digital strip searches.

It pisses me off to no end that a guy with fiery underpants causes billions of dollars worth of damage in the form of increased "security" measures, lost business and stress, seriously inconveniencing millions of travelers, and making people jumpy enough that someone suffering from food poisoning on a flight is arrested.

While this is not the place to discuss the matter at length, we have to start doing something, otherwise everyone will be anesthetized on flights in the future

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 07:07:33 am »

Long time ago that I saw the name of Bruce Schneier come by, I certainly would not have expected it in a photography related area. More in something like applied crypto which is all about security. I agree the measures on flying are ridiculous when you start to really think about it. They are excessive, mostly only bothering travelers and not diminishing any terror related risk in a really big way. A lot of money to diminish a very particular kind of threat in an extremely inefficient way. Due to the self imposed imprisonment it can be stated terror has already won...

I take as few as possible on a trip abroad. I never check in anything of value. We recently had a documentary over here what is happening behind the curtains with your luggage... this is not encouraging to ever check in something again.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:14:55 am by Dustbak »

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 08:13:56 am »

just recently traveled from australia back to taiwan
had a carry on pelican filled to the brim and got asked at check in how much the weight was
2 hassy lenses and a h3d plus laptop was too much, as the pelican case already without anything is nearly 7 kg
I had to remove the equipment from the case and was lucky I had a coat with large and deep pockets
stuck the lenses in the pockets and hung the camera body and laptop bag around my shoulder and passed through
check in, security and immigration without a problem, afterwards put the lot back together without further problems.

I think from now on when flying, I will always carry a simple vest with large pockets!!

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 08:56:50 am »

Quote from: Dustbak
We recently had a documentary over here what is happening behind the curtains with your luggage... this is not encouraging to ever check in something again.

What's the name of the documentary?

Kumar

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 09:34:31 am »

It was one of those local (Dutch) television reporter things going in behind the scenes with cameras to show the world what is actually going on there.

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 10:53:51 am »

Quote from: marc gerritsen
just recently traveled from australia back to taiwan
had a carry on pelican filled to the brim and got asked at check in how much the weight was
2 hassy lenses and a h3d plus laptop was too much, as the pelican case already without anything is nearly 7 kg
I had to remove the equipment from the case and was lucky I had a coat with large and deep pockets
stuck the lenses in the pockets and hung the camera body and laptop bag around my shoulder and passed through
check in, security and immigration without a problem, afterwards put the lot back together without further problems.

I think from now on when flying, I will always carry a simple vest with large pockets!!

Sounds like many of my international check-ins (outside of N America)

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 12:12:46 pm »

We're always flying with 2 backbacks with gear. Those are light and complete both are just below 10kg.
Funny thing is I always have to open the mf backpack and not the DSLR one.

50% of the guys appears to be photographers and want to know what that big thing is
up untill now no problems but I'm also afraid for the future.

In a few years we have to fly in a dress and slippers given by checkin while our clothes are checked and returned on location.

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 01:06:26 pm »

I just don't understand, why air carriers do not offer a premium package where you pay for your hand luggage to be thoroghly checked.  so if you want your 30 000€ camera with you, you need to pay 50 or 100$ and have to show up 15 minutes earlier, but you are allowed to take it with you. so most people would decide to leave their stuff checked, but thos who need it have peace of mind.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:08:08 pm by geesbert »
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

erick.boileau

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 01:37:34 pm »

Jean-Louis Lioret, a  66 years old man,  is currently incarcerated at the Central Prison of Abu Dhabi.
On board  traveling from Paris to Bangkok via Abu Dhabi, he replied, jokingly, to a neighbor asking him to put a package next to him: "I hope it ' is not a bomb.

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...9994/0/general1
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:40:29 pm by erick.boileau »

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 02:13:57 pm »

Quote from: erick.boileau
Jean-Louis Lioret, a  66 years old man,  is currently incarcerated at the Central Prison of Abu Dhabi.
On board  traveling from Paris to Bangkok via Abu Dhabi, he replied, jokingly, to a neighbor asking him to put a package next to him: "I hope it ' is not a bomb.

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...9994/0/general1

The world has gone crazy.

Pete_G

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 02:23:44 pm »

Quote from: feppe

There have been a number of stories over the past few years of passengers making jokes about bombs at airports, with horrendous consequences. I would tend to agree with Michael R in his recent article on air travel, if you can avoid it, do so. Unfortunately getting to the US, where most of the problems seem to occur, is not usually too easy on the train or by road.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 02:43:22 pm »

Quote from: feppe

Yes, it is crazy, but what is the answer?

Reduce  he security and after the next attempt actually works, who will scream for the security agents (and politicians) heads the loudest?
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up