Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Things I lost in the fire  (Read 4698 times)

Shirley Bracken

• http://ssbracken.com
Things I lost in the fire
« on: January 16, 2010, 04:26:46 pm »

I haven't been able to show much of my work because I lost all of it in the crash of my external backup.  (Not a fire, just felt like one)  Anyway, I do have the thumbnails of them.  Just to give you an idea of some of the things I like to shoot.  (It's hard to shoot moving bird pictures from a boat)

I wasn't shooting RAW then either.  

ssbracken.com  (Formerly Bumperjack)

mattpallante

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 05:07:29 pm »

Quote from: Shirley Bracken
I haven't been able to show much of my work because I lost all of it in the crash of my external backup.  (Not a fire, just felt like one)  Anyway, I do have the thumbnails of them.  Just to give you an idea of some of the things I like to shoot.  (It's hard to shoot moving bird pictures from a boat)

Sorry for your loss, Shirley. This is an great capture. Matt

ARD

• http://
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 03:56:33 pm »

Sorry you lost your work in the fire, but this photo is good, look forward to seeing more of your work

schrodingerscat

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 12:47:55 am »

Quote from: Shirley Bracken

In the future, in addition to your regular backup drive, pick up one of those hard drive docks that let you swap out the bare drive. I use one with two drives that I switch with each other and keep one in a safe deposit box. With the price of drives being what they are, replacing them every couple of years is also a good idea.

Most of the tech sites seem to favor Hitachi and Samsung these days. Seagate has unfortunately become more like Maxtor, instead of the other way around. If going with Western Digital, stick with the Black drives.

There are recovery companies that can probably save all your files, but they are rather expensive. In a case where all your images are involved, might be worth it.

I went through a similar thing awhile back, but only lost a few files. Unfortunately they were of a visit by my wife's mother from Japan with my mother, and they have both since died.

After that I've become somewhat paranoid and probably have gone a bit over the edge. I now have an external firewire drive with two identical drives as backups, a well as the removable drive scheme. The firewire is only plugged in and activated at the time of backing up and I back up to both drives at the same time. All the drives have bootable system backups as well as the image files, and also keep another backed up machine on standby.

Never again.

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 02:26:31 pm »

Shrodingerscat has great information.  Some people might not be comfortable with the bare drive setup.   I have been using Western Digital external USB drives for years with (knock wood) no problems.

I recently started using the Acomdata 1TB external drives. I know they have a seagate in them, which I would generally shy away from, but so far so good.

My main reason for posting is to encourage the eSATA interface. You might have to buy a $30 card for your computer, to connect, but the whole thing is well worth it.  The eSata interface allows for data transfers on order of 3-6 times faster than usb/firewire.  Example: my computer has 3 300mb drives internally (why so small? Well they are 15,000 rpm, that's why).  When I did a windows backup via USB it took about 2 days. Now it takes 4 to 5 hours.

I bought an external eSata box and put a 2tb western digital in it.

But the easy route are these acomdata drives, here it is at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YUFUC...oss_T15_product

Like Shrodingerscat says, for 1TB for $100, you should have several of these going, and store them in multiple locations.

Best of luck! Bob.
Bob
 ht

ARD

• http://
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 05:38:03 pm »

Quote from: schrodingerscat
Seagate has unfortunately become more like Maxtor, instead of the other way around.

I've not had a problem with Maxtor, but would be interested to hear your views, as if there is a known problem I'll out them for something else.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 12:53:00 am »

Quote from: ARD
I've not had a problem with Maxtor, but would be interested to hear your views, as if there is a known problem I'll out them for something else.

At one time, Seagate had a reputation for being one of the most consistant manufacturers of reliable drives. They then sucked up Maxtor and seems to have slipped in the quality rankings. When I first started getting serious( early 90s) about computers, Maxtor was regarded as so-so insofar as reliability was concerned. I've had a couple machines that came equipped with them, but the they were usually replaced before the drives failed.

In any case, the general consensus seems to b to replace drives every two to three years regardless.

loonsailor

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 11:10:38 am »

Have you considered trying a disk recovery service?  Guys like http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/ can be expensive, but I've used them a couple of times (long story) and they've recovered close to 100% of data.  File names may be lost, but the data is generally there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up