Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Towards Evening (cityscape warning)  (Read 12269 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Towards Evening (cityscape warning)
« on: January 16, 2010, 11:14:09 am »

Comments?

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 12:18:45 pm »

Justan, I love it, but it's too blue. It's night, and the lighting is yellow. This version is still a bit too blue, but closer to what I'll bet you saw:

[attachment=19495:OnTheDocks4.jpg]
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 12:35:58 pm »

Nice mood shot.  And not blue enough!  And I promise not to tell you to crop it.  The yellow version may be more technically correct, but it just sort of feels smoggy rather than moody.  I bet what you felt was cold, hence the blue.  I like the color tension between blue and yellow, which besides being interesting were my high school colors.

OK, I wasn't going to say this, but this needs to be a pano!  Look at all that interesting stuff we can't quite see off to the left & right!  With a pano treatment, we'd be talking boardroom and over-the-sofa material here.

Shirley Bracken

• http://ssbracken.com
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 12:55:51 pm »

Very nice shot.  Yeah, cool air.  I agree a pan would be great.
ssbracken.com  (Formerly Bumperjack)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 12:56:28 pm »

Quote from: RSL
Justan, I love it, but it's too blue. It's night, and the lighting is yellow. This version is still a bit too blue, but closer to what I'll bet you saw:

First, thanks very much!

The foto’s colors are very close to the raw images. I selected a spot near a lamp on the left as the white point.  This was taken about 30 minutes or so before sunset.

That said, your edit shows none of the blue cast on the whites that mine does. If anything yours has more yellow than was there. Did you do this by eye or where did you set the white point?

Setting the white, grey and black points is a new thing so I’m appreciative of any feedback you’d care to provide.  

Btw this is a stitch
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 01:05:26 pm by Justan »

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 01:03:32 pm »

Quote from: bill t.
Nice mood shot.  And not blue enough!  And I promise not to tell you to crop it.  The yellow version may be more technically correct, but it just sort of feels smoggy rather than moody.  I bet what you felt was cold, hence the blue.  I like the color tension between blue and yellow, which besides being interesting were my high school colors.

OK, I wasn't going to say this, but this needs to be a pano!  Look at all that interesting stuff we can't quite see off to the left & right!  With a pano treatment, we'd be talking boardroom and over-the-sofa material here.

Thank you very much but it *is* a stitch.

Immediately to the left of where the foto ends we encounter a black colored empty barge that runs nearly to the shore line. It didn’t add to what I was after. To the right is an anonymous collection of mostly stored crap. Again mostly just black due to time of day.

But it is a great place for studies. I plan to do many from this area. I'm gonna use this image to try and bribe property management to letting me take some pix from the other end of the dock.

John R

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 01:03:35 pm »

This looks pretty good to me. I seldom bother to correct for "blueness" in my images, unless of course it is necessary, like for people or documentary purposes. This image has lots of mood and I really like the secondary motif, that line of grey clouds in background. You don't want to lose that in alterations. One thing I find somewhat disturbing, is not the large crane on right, which would have been better as a whole, but the black post underneath; this creates a kind of stop-frame, which I don't think you want. You also have some slight parts on the left- very minor. As to cropping, one can do that all day, just decide which elements you want to keep and what appeals to you most.

JMR

I just reviewed it again, and the black post might be OK if the whole crane (not tall part, just the width) is there, as it will no longer be at the edge of the frame.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 01:07:50 pm by John R »

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 01:07:06 pm »

Quote from: Shirley Bracken
Very nice shot.  Yeah, cool air.  I agree a pan would be great.

Thanks! I'll do a daytime study in the near future

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 01:17:42 pm »

Quote from: John R
This looks pretty good to me. I seldom bother to correct for "blueness" in my images, unless of course it is necessary, like for people or documentary purposes. This image has lots of mood and I really like the secondary motif, that line of grey clouds in background. You don't want to lose that in alterations. One thing I find somewhat disturbing, is not the large crane on right, which would have been better as a whole, but the black post underneath; this creates a kind of stop-frame, which I don't think you want. You also have some slight parts on the left- very minor. As to cropping, one can do that all day, just decide which elements you want to keep and what appeals to you most.

JMR

I just reviewed it again, and the black post might be OK if the whole crane (not tall part, just the width) is there, as it will no longer be at the edge of the frame.

Thanks for the feedback!

I agree that the crops on the left and right are less than perfect. I debated removing the solitary log on the right, but lightened it so you can see some detail. That was lost in the conversion to jpg, even though it was a big jpg!

The clouds were a fast moving storm. In the left portion you can see lights several miles distant and by the time I got to the right the fog was so dense you could barely see lights at ¼ the distance compared to the left. Meanwhile there was the merely hazy area on the far left that showed the blue sky a little before sunset. It was a classic “if you don’t like the weather conditions, wait a few moments” event.

By the time I went for the 2nd sweep the fog was so dense the lights beyond the docks were gone.

Mike Boden

• http://www.mikeboden.com
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 01:43:51 pm »

"Too blue" is a subjective call. Your version isn't any better...just different.
Mike Boden - www.mikeboden.com
Instagram

Shirley Bracken

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 01:43:53 pm »

Justan, I showed this to my husband and he really liked it too.  It does have a wonderful atmosphere.  I think a series around this spot will be great!  Did you get any other shots that day that you liked?  I want to see.    What lens did you use?

Mike Boden

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 02:44:54 pm »

What lens did you use?

EXIF info says:

Camera: Nikon D80
Lens: 70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
Instagram

Shirley Bracken

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 02:53:40 pm »

I guess I've missed where to find the EXIF.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 02:54:24 pm »

Quote from: Mike Boden
"Too blue" is a subjective call. Your version isn't any better...just different.

Not speaking for Russ but the cast on the whites is far enough into blue to be noticable once pointed out.

I fixed that & am okay with the rest...

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 03:02:09 pm »

Me too. It was set to about 70mm.

In answer to your other question, i tried to get to another vantage point but by the time i got was there it was so foggy the city was hidden and also raining.

I don't often shoot in town but being able to cobble together a functional pano has opened some doors.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 03:04:02 pm »

Quote from: Justan
First, thanks very much!

The foto’s colors are very close to the raw images. I selected a spot near a lamp on the left as the white point.  This was taken about 30 minutes or so before sunset.

That said, your edit shows none of the blue cast on the whites that mine does. If anything yours has more yellow than was there. Did you do this by eye or where did you set the white point?

Setting the white, grey and black points is a new thing so I’m appreciative of any feedback you’d care to provide.  

Btw this is a stitch

Justan, I put the thing into ACR and used the middle-gray dropper on the bridge of that first boat. The result was too yellow, so I slid the temp slider back to the left a bit. In the end, it was a call shot, and I'm not really in a position to do that since I didn't see the actual scene. But, as you say, the blue cast on the deck houses, which I know should be white, was what caught my eye. Usually, the middle of heavy clouds or fog is the best place to get a middle gray, but when the clouds are reflecting lights from below, they're not reliable indicators. In the end, though, Mike's Boden's right. It's a subjective decision. Sure love the picture. Good shooting.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Mike Boden

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 03:21:59 pm »

To see the EXIF info, you can save Justan's image to your desktop and open it with Bridge and look at the image's info. Other applications will allow you to view the EXIF info as well.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 03:24:07 pm by Mike Boden »
Instagram

Shirley Bracken

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 03:28:58 pm »

I thank you.  I guess I've never downloaded anyone else's work before.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 04:32:14 pm »

Sorry, Russ, but your version looks more like being engulfed in a post-nuclear Earth atmosphere  

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 05:19:57 pm »

> …used the middle-gray dropper on the bridge of that first boat. The result was too yellow, so I slid the temp slider back to the left a bit.

A couple of weeks back I came across a guide for finding a gray point using PS. After your comment, I looked again today and naturally couldn’t find that one but this works and also is very close to your results. http://www.pearsoned.co.uk/Bookshop/article.asp?item=1239

> But, as you say, the blue cast on the deck houses, which I know should be white, was what caught my eye.

An excellent observation. Pointing out this kind of thing helps me and I'm sure others to pay closer attention for excessive color cast. (It also helps that others have mentioned this previously  )

Finding a solution was an opportunity to work with a fairly new to me tool by way of color replacement for selected areas.

> In the end, though, Mike's Boden's right. It's a subjective decision. Sure love the picture. Good shooting.

Yes he is. Thanks again!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up