Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Picture Framing Wire  (Read 7339 times)

Peter McLennan

Picture Framing Wire
« on: January 14, 2010, 11:59:52 am »

I have made about a dozen fairly large frames - 24X30 - and the time has come to string them up with hanging wire.  As usual, there's a variety of wire types and sizes available.  Single-strand aluminum, single-strand vinyl coated, single strand stainless vinyl coated, multi-strand braided, etc. etc.

Any recommendations?  Ease of use?  Quality?  Size required?

Also, any advice on additional strengthening that may be required for these Nielsen extruded aluminum frames?  Glass, not plexi, so they're pretty heavy.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Picture Framing Wire
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 11:24:07 am »

Quote from: Peter McLennan
I have made about a dozen fairly large frames - 24X30 - and the time has come to string them up with hanging wire.  As usual, there's a variety of wire types and sizes available.  Single-strand aluminum, single-strand vinyl coated, single strand stainless vinyl coated, multi-strand braided, etc. etc.

Any recommendations?  Ease of use?  Quality?  Size required?

Also, any advice on additional strengthening that may be required for these Nielsen extruded aluminum frames?  Glass, not plexi, so they're pretty heavy.
I use coated stainless wire from the local hardware store.  It comes in several different thicknesses depending on the weight that needs to be supported.  They come in 25 foot spools and are reasonably priced.  I cut lengths to size when framing.  I can't help out on the second point you raise.  I only frame to 16x20 and use plexi not glass.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Picture Framing Wire
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 12:16:00 pm »

#5 stainless steel, vinyl coated wire would be a finger-friendly choice for your clients.  But uncoated stranded doesn't slip on itself and requires a less fiddling around when you attach it.

Also at that size with glass you could consider Wall Buddies, which is a two point, wire-free, easily levelled hanging system.  Here's the sectional frame version.  P1100 would be about right...

http://www.wallbuddies.com/products.html

United Manufacturers has 'em for a good price

http://www.unitedmfrs.com/cart/detail.cfm?item=1100

Installing the pair of nails required by Wall Buddies can be a little difficult for tape-measure-challenged customers.  But it's a very secure hanging system and won't strain and twist the sides of the frames the way wire will with that heavy glass.

If you use wire the typical d-ring-like aluminum frame hanger attachments may be a little marginal for that weight, the single screw tends to slip with heavy frames.  You can reinforce them a bit by jamming two up against each other on each side, connect the wire to the bottom ones.

And don't forget to tighten up all those corners real good.  It's so embarrassing when that bottom pieces fall off and drops the glass on the floor.

Unitedmfrs also carries wire in 500+ foot spools for pretty cheap.

Peter McLennan

Picture Framing Wire
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 11:07:45 pm »

Thanks, guys.  Darn good advice throughout.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 11:08:01 pm by Peter McLennan »

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
Re: Picture Framing Wire
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 05:01:03 pm »

Saw this post.  I used to use wire but quite a few artists are using miracle picture cord.  you just screw in the supplied guide on each side of the frame  and then take the cord and tie a knot on each end then slip line int the guide-you are done

This is much quicker and comes in regular duty and heavy duty (would be best for 24x30 or larger and heavier images).  I love this system compared to wire.

Miracle Picture Cord  Acorn Art Systems   p.o. Box 88744   Atlanta, GA    225-768-8355

I believe i purchased from Gemini or other framing supply store. 

http://acornartsystems.com/aa/Scripts/default.asp

good illustration on the web of how it works.

I highly recommend for your use

JeffColburn

• The Creative's Corner
Re: Picture Framing Wire
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 01:54:50 pm »

I use stranded wire. It comes in different sizes, and the website you order it from should tell how much weight each size will hold. Be sure to take a few inches of masking tape and wrap it around the ends of the wire when you're done. It will keep the wire from sticking you in the finger.

Have Fun,
Jeff
If you're interested in photography, stock images of Arizona and Fine Art Prints of Arizona, visit www.TheCreativesCorner.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up