Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Flying With Camera Gear  (Read 21851 times)

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
Flying With Camera Gear
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 05:42:18 am »

Just went from Canada to Amsterdam to Addis Ababa (through Khartoum), Landing late last night.

All was pretty much the same as on the way home. I was worried about going though Amsterdam (as that was part of the foiled routes), but it wasn't a problem as the security routine was the same as before.

I did however forget to take my watch off as I went though the metal detector in Amsterdam, and got a very thorough pat down. Particularly on the posterior.

- Mike

p.s. I also flew porter last week (Toronto  <-> Halifax) and nothing out of the ordinary there.

Pete Ferling

Flying With Camera Gear
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 09:20:07 am »

Quote from: hcubell
Have you considered sending your camera equipment ahead to your shooting location in the US by FEDEX?

That's the only way I can do it.  I have too much to begin with, especially video, and have the stuff delivered to my room or person of confidence, usually a company rep or someone on the project.  At least I board the plane knowing my stuff is waiting for me.  With regards to spur of the moment and failure to plan shoots... Hertz and Greyhound are going to appreciate the increased revenue...

Let me add to that... I do company work, so any added time and cost will be the nature of the beast, but what about you freelancers trying to justify the added cost and time, how would that factor into the project?  Would that not make a local's hire more attractive due to an increased bottom line?  Crazy.  I can feel your pain.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:27:05 am by Pete Ferling »

ysengrain

Flying With Camera Gear
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 10:46:00 am »

About carry on limitations, I fully agree with Michael when he writes "This is simply ridiculous and unacceptable."

In an other "topic", in France there are a lot of limitations and obstacles to get a passport when your parents are not both born in France, which is my situation. Ridiculous requests are asked for, while I was a french soldier in the french army and my job is reserved to french citizen and so on.

In french we use to say : "Les cons se permettent tout, c'est à ça qu'on les reconnait" which could be translated as: assholes permit themselves everything that's the way they are known.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:47:00 am by ysengrain »

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
Flying With Camera Gear
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 02:14:48 pm »

FWIW: This article posted on CATSA (Canadian Air Transport Security Authority) says we are allowed cameras, lenses, batteries, chargers, cables, etc. in a "purpose-designed carrying case".

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/file/library/...ms08jan10EN.pdf

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/Page.aspx?ID=...res&lang=en

Interesting though there is no effective date on the article.   Hummmm  

Of course that's assuming that security is familiar with the guidlines.

I think we live in a time where we have to be prepared to fly separately from our camera gear.  I don't know exactly how I'm going to do that yet but have a trip planned at the end of February so I'll definitely be thinking about it.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Flying With Camera Gear
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 02:22:10 pm »

This is VERY recent and a welcome change. Let us hope it lasts and they get the processes in the airports back to some normal level of efficiency.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Flying With Camera Gear
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 02:26:11 pm »

Anyone considering shipping camera equipment should check with tax authorities and customs - you might end up paying taxes and duties even if they're for own use, and used. Be prepared for discussions with public officials to get to your gear, and bring receipts.

Greg Barnett

• http://
Flying With Camera Gear
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 02:38:44 pm »

Quote from: michael
One solution is to drive or take a bus from Toronto to Buffalo, or Vancouver to Seattle, and fly from there. If enough of us did it Canadian carriers would get the message quickly enough and would pressure the government to regain their sanity.

From my experience, Canadians flying out of BUF is already very popular. I frequently drive from Rochester to take advantage of SouthWest and have found the flights to be heavily utilized by our Northern neighbors. I've often wondered if (higher passenger volumes due to proximity to Canada) is why Buffalo has better fares and flight schedules than Rochester, only 60 miles away... So please, keep 'em coming!!

Greg

andyptak

Flying With Camera Gear
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 02:53:38 pm »

kbolin - While on one hand the policy states that a designated camera bag is allowed, Air Canada states that no roll-ons of any type are allowed. I have a carry on size, roll-on Lowepro camera case - duh. Think I'll hang my cameras around my neck and stuff my oversized pockets with lenses. Now, if I only had one of those rectal shaped light meters, I'd be fine!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
Flying With Camera Gear
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 05:24:33 pm »

Quote from: andyptak
kbolin - While on one hand the policy states that a designated camera bag is allowed, Air Canada states that no roll-ons of any type are allowed. I have a carry on size, roll-on Lowepro camera case - duh. Think I'll hang my cameras around my neck and stuff my oversized pockets with lenses. Now, if I only had one of those rectal shaped light meters, I'd be fine!

Then don't use Air Canada. There's only one way the clowns get the message - when it costs them.

andyptak

Flying With Camera Gear
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 05:36:53 pm »

Mark - didn't realize I had. I booked a United flight and found out later that it was actually operated by AC. Bummer.

Michael mentioned earlier about locked check-in bags not being allowed by the TSA. I've never checked in my gear so this was news to me. I'm going to Miami next week and had toyed with the idea of putting my back-up gear and cheaper items in a locked, check-in bag, while I hand carry the bare essentials on board. Anyone have any experience on this?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
Flying With Camera Gear
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2010, 05:46:53 pm »

As far as I know - and you should check this on the TSA website, you ARE allowed to lock checked luggage as long as the ONLY locks used are TSA-approved, for which they have a pass key they can use to open them in case they wish to hand-inspect your bag. While this still runs some risk of back-room theft, it is obviously less risky than no locks at all.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
Flying With Camera Gear
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2010, 06:03:57 pm »

Quote from: Mark D Segal
Then don't use Air Canada. There's only one way the clowns get the message - when it costs them.

Don't blame Air Canada - these are CATSA (government) rules. The only blame the airlines should accept is that of not lobbying CATSA for sensible rules on behalf of their customers.

I believe that air travel will diminish and that tourist areas of the US in particular will feel the pinch. The hassle is so not worth it - I've changed one of my leisure trips from the southern US to the West Indies.

Bill

andyptak

Flying With Camera Gear
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 06:54:42 pm »

Bill-I'm not blaming Air Canada for thus rule, I blame them for generally shitty service and a disregard for their customers - which is why I booked United and then found I got sandbagged and am flying Air Canada anyway.

If anyone should be experienced in moving large numbers of people on U.S. bound flights, every day, it should be us. No wonder we're the butt of so many American jokes.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
Flying With Camera Gear
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 07:34:51 pm »

Quote from: billcb
Don't blame Air Canada - these are CATSA (government) rules. The only blame the airlines should accept is that of not lobbying CATSA for sensible rules on behalf of their customers.

I believe that air travel will diminish and that tourist areas of the US in particular will feel the pinch. The hassle is so not worth it - I've changed one of my leisure trips from the southern US to the West Indies.

Bill

The airlines probably are lobbying. Why they should allow a laptop in a case without wheels versus a case with wheels is of course well beyond any sensible person's comprehension.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
Flying With Camera Gear
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2010, 07:42:17 pm »

Quote from: andyptak
Bill-I'm not blaming Air Canada for thus rule, I blame them for generally shitty service and a disregard for their customers - which is why I booked United and then found I got sandbagged and am flying Air Canada anyway.

If anyone should be experienced in moving large numbers of people on U.S. bound flights, every day, it should be us. No wonder we're the butt of so many American jokes.

In this case it has been a lot more serious than jokes. For the economy of Toronto, where tourism makes a substantial contribution, this whole situation has the potential of being a disaster. The apparent incompetence and chaos of people movement, baggage handling and implementation of screening at Pearson airport has made it into the New York Times several times over the past couple of weeks, as well as into other regional US media - friends have been sending me links - describing the overall situation and individual travelers' horror stories. We must be getting a terribly bad name from all this negative publicity and it's bound to cost us unless they clean-up their act pretty soon.

craigwashburn

Flying With Camera Gear
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 08:20:04 pm »

I have heard of some crews with large amounts of expensive gear that cannot be carried on using the TSA's firearm rule to their benefit.

Place a starter pistol, or inexpensive flare gun (unloaded of course) in a pelican case with the equipment.  You may lock this case with your own lock.  Declare the firearm's presence at check in.   It will be searched and cleared by a security officer in your presence, at which time the case will be locked and you will retain your key.  There may be paperwork attached to the case.  Apparently firearm cases are handled differently - TSA takes missing firearm carrying luggage seriously.

Different airlines may have different rules...but an unloaded flare gun should present few problems.  

To me this sounds like the most secure way to transport precious cargo that you can't carry yourself.

craigwashburn

Flying With Camera Gear
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 08:36:01 pm »

Quote from: craigwashburn
I have heard of some crews with large amounts of expensive gear that cannot be carried on using the TSA's firearm rule to their benefit.

Place a starter pistol, or inexpensive flare gun (unloaded of course) in a pelican case with the equipment.  You may lock this case with your own lock.  Declare the firearm's presence at check in.   It will be searched and cleared by a security officer in your presence, at which time the case will be locked and you will retain your key.  There may be paperwork attached to the case.  Apparently firearm cases are handled differently - TSA takes missing firearm carrying luggage seriously.

Different airlines may have different rules...but an unloaded flare gun should present few problems.  

To me this sounds like the most secure way to transport precious cargo that you can't carry yourself.

Looks like I might be wrong about them attaching a notifying tag to the luggage.  But there must be some shortcut the case takes once its cleared in your presence, otherwise your non TSA lock would halt it in the processing of normal luggage.

Steven Draper

• http://www.stevendraperphotography.com
Flying With Camera Gear
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2010, 10:03:25 am »

From the allowed list provided - which does not have a date, -  there are a few interesting points: I cannot recall seeing any disclaimer regards equipment carriage, is it worth putting one on just incase?

Knitting needles, provided accompanied by wool.... OK thanks for the tip, so don't complete your woolly on sector one or your in trouble!

Religious items (ie Prayer Matt...) Could an IED be classed as a religious item when used in what certain people claim to be a religious war!

Seriously, as a former commercial pilot I've lived with ever increasing security for many years. The decisions have to be made very quick with limited info in a way that both protects the decision makers from blame if anything does happen while ensuring all security staff have a clear picture of what is required. Michael is quiet right that there is also the need to balance what can be done with the staffing resources. In the 2006 liquid case in the UK for a few days it was NO baggage at all. Even pilots could not take any hand luggage onto the flights except the flight paperwork, a pen and ones pilots license / passport.

It becomes a very black and white scenario for the decision makers even though the world is full of colour. Most folks do get along with just some additional time requirements -  but there are always one or two security people who want to make a name for themselves in the same way some travellers insist of pushing the rules and then report back to the world on forums etc about how out of order things are.

I agree that some of the security appears theatre but in reality, despite at least 15 years of this kind of  targeting aviation more than any other industry very, very little has succeeded.  Remember hi profile Hijacks used to be fairly a frequent thing, but very little now. Most of what gets stopped never reaches any level of public news. It is easy to forget that at times - but I agree it is still a pain.

Weight of Hand Baggage - This become MUCH MORE CRITICAL when flying on smaller aeroplanes so while the chances of having it weighed on a 747 are low if your heading somewhere on a small flight in a repeatable airline then this will probably be part of the weight and balance calculations. Also if a flight is very full or close to the performance limits  then individual weights may be required if suspected to be over the standard used weights.

Steven
image examples are at my website  [url=h

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
Flying With Camera Gear
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2010, 03:10:48 am »

This "Security Theater" has to stop, it is getting absolutely intolerable.

I wonder what would happen if a terrorist decides to take a flight, dressed in a smart suit with a bomb hidden in his laptop...
What will they do then? Will they dare to strip-search everybody wearing a suit? Will they forbid laptops in the cabin?

Rob C

Flying With Camera Gear
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2010, 04:26:12 am »

The trouble with this sort of theme is that we all want 'them' to do something to provide 100% guarantees of safety, but only if it doesn't inconvenience us in any way.

The only possible manner of doing this - save lives, perhaps - is to do the politically incorrect thing: provide separate flights/airlines for the separate types of people. After all, as with much of the bullshit about 'victimised' minorities, there is little point in looking for religious terrorists within a clearly non-ethnic group. Of course, you may find one, but the chances are not good. Until the obvious becomes obvious enough to be unavoidable, we all shall suffer.

How tragic that it has become the rôle of the outcast to say such things within the political medium, the rest ignoring it for fear of alienating part of the possible voter base.

Hope this doesn't kill the thread, but I believe it needed saying.

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up