Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving a Z3100 - need advice  (Read 2252 times)

Ron Steinberg

Moving a Z3100 - need advice
« on: January 13, 2010, 04:12:50 pm »

In the next couple of weeks I need to move my 24" Z3100 out of my basement and into a new apartment. It will be necessary to "tip" the printer when we go up the stairs. Does anyone have any input on what I should do to prepare the printer for the move? Some of the things I'm concerned about are locking the print head down (is this possible?) and that there is a LOT of excess ink on the black plastic caping thing that covers the print head on the right side when it is not printing (I don't know the correct name for that part). I'm worried that some of this ink may leak onto other parts of the printer.

Has anyone ever had to move one of these things? When I first brought it into the basement it was brand new so didn't have any ink in it yet.

Thanks for any replies,
Ron

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 12:22:06 am »

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...=reg_R1002_USEN

The printer head will not move after the print is powered down, I made sure to keep the printhead side lower whenever loading or going up stairs, etc.....

Ron Steinberg

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 09:24:19 am »

Thanks Joh, that's exactly the kind of info I needed. Now my only concern is the amount of excess ink on the black plastic thing under the print heads (I don't use the printer much so it accumulates a lot of ink there, I really need to figure out a way to clean it up).

Ron
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 09:24:41 am by Ron Steinberg »

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 01:27:57 pm »

I managed to move my 44" Z3200 from San Francisco to Hawaii without incident.  It was a little nerve wracking, as it had to be sealed up in a shipping container for 9 days, but I wound up without a single problem as a result.  There wasn't even any head clogging after being shut off that long.

I had saved the foam ends from the original packing material, and used those to secure it onto a piece of plywood with the same footprint as the printer.  I lashed them on with lots of stretch wrap.  Mine also had to go down a flight of stairs first, and I don't know if it really mattered, but I carried it down with the carriage parking end on the downhill side.  I used blue painter's tape to secure the carriage, so there was no chance of it moving in transit.

I would suggest that you clean the cover you mention.  The simplest method is to tell the printer that you want to replace a printhead, then clean the cover while the carriage is in the position to do the head replacement.  This has some additional baggage associated with it, in that the printer will then declare all of your calibrations obsolete, and I think it will even ask for a printhead alignment.  I haven't done that in a while, so I can't remember that part clearly.  What I do, though, is to turn the switch in the back off while the carriage is in motion.  It is helpful to clean the wipers under the cover, too, and they are usually exposed when you first turn the printer off.  I catch it, to turn it off, when it is sending the carriage all the way to the left as it is loading a new sheet of paper.  It doesn't behave the same way when loading a roll, so tell it you are loading a sheet and try to hit the switch when the carriage is not behind the center support bar.  If you miss, you will have another opportunity.  When you first shut it off, you will have an opportunity to clean the inner parts with a coffee filter.  To get the carriage in a better spot, and to get the cover to slide closed if it isn't already, turn the printer back on.  After a couple of minutes, the carriage will move very slowly into position and the cover will close, at which point you can turn the printer off again and finish the job.   That cover is often fully covered in excess ink.   I haven't had any issues with this process, and have to do it whenever I get random drops of ink on my prints.

Best of luck with your move.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

ricm

• http://www.richardmurai.com
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 12:24:30 pm »

I just moved my 3100 from one location to another - a 25 mile drive, up two flights of stairs - and it was fine. No prep, no rituals.
Pages: [1]   Go Up