Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After 5 Days of Freezing Rain Then Snow  (Read 1952 times)

Blair McDougall

• Gallery
After 5 Days of Freezing Rain Then Snow
« on: January 13, 2010, 08:55:54 am »

I waited until last Saturday's sunrise to take these, about 20 minutes apart. I think it was worth the wait.

[attachment=19433:_MG_5208.jpg]        [attachment=19435:_MG_5216_copy.jpg]

This is an old farmstead up Foster Mountain in the Eastern Townships of Quebec.
Thanks
Blair

John R

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 09:34:20 am »

Quote from: Blair McDougall
I waited until last Saturday's sunrise to take these, about 20 minutes apart. I think it was worth the wait.

This is an old farmstead up Foster Mountain in the Eastern Townships of Quebec.
Thanks
Blair
Superb. Minimalist with excellent compositions. But you can keep the freezing rain!

JMR
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:35:05 am by John R »

RobReuthal

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 10:18:06 am »

Looks really great !  And it looks also really cold there , I agree with John about the composition of both .
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:18:34 am by RobReuthal »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 10:59:25 am »

I know it is subjective, but for me the first shot is a tad too dark and thus too muted. Increasing exposure and contrast a bit works wonders on this picture (again, for me). In any case, the first shot is a lovely pastoral image. The second shot, particularly the orange part (sunlit background), is too ambiguous for my liking (i.e., looks more like a close-up shot of a carpet pile). I also find the second blue area (sky) too distracting compositionally. Concentrating on the agricultural tool, positioned as a main point of interest on a simpler blue-orange background, would result in a tighter, more elegant composition (again, for me). Reducing the orange-ness a bit might help too. In any case, worth experimenting with composition and white balance.

button

• http://
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 11:22:17 am »

Those colors are just spectacular.  Definitely worth the wait!

John

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 06:46:20 pm »

I quite like the first, compositionally and for the muted (pastel-like) contrasting colours (pinkish sky vs. bluish snow covered objects).

The second image is yes, minimalist, but the colour contrast (orange "plants" in particular) just too much for my taste.

Andrew
[size=12p

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 07:42:12 pm »

I agree with Andrew, though the second image certainly is striking.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Tom Montgomery

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 08:29:36 pm »

I do like the pastel quality of the first one.  Plus, I'm a sucker for hay rakes!    

The second image has a surreal quality to it, but I know it can be real; I see almost the same thing outside my own window many winter mornings.

We didn't get any of that freezing rain on the east side of Memphremagog, I'm happy to say. Ice storms make me very nervous after that ordeal in 1998.

Blair McDougall

• Gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 08:07:23 am »

Quote from: Slobodan Blagojevic
I know it is subjective, but for me the first shot is a tad too dark and thus too muted. Increasing exposure and contrast a bit works wonders on this picture (again, for me). In any case, the first shot is a lovely pastoral image. The second shot, particularly the orange part (sunlit background), is too ambiguous for my liking (i.e., looks more like a close-up shot of a carpet pile). I also find the second blue area (sky) too distracting compositionally. Concentrating on the agricultural tool, positioned as a main point of interest on a simpler blue-orange background, would result in a tighter, more elegant composition (again, for me). Reducing the orange-ness a bit might help too. In any case, worth experimenting with composition and white balance.

Thank-you for your critique. I have to admit that I am drawn to the softer muted tones of an early sunrise, thankfully it is Winter so they are later. I did go back there later, about 20 minutes or so and took this one, which is brighter and may be more to your taste. I do like both and perhaps should of left out the second image for this one for a comparison.

[attachment=19447:_MG_5223.jpg]

I agree that the second one, especially the sky is distracting although the textures created by the trees are interesting to me. Another thing I tried was to pull back a bit and include the tree in an attempt to knit the two blues together. I also warmed up the yellows a little.

[attachment=19448:_MG_5219_copy.jpg]

Thank-you all again for your input. I do appreciate it.

Blair

Pages: [1]   Go Up