Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: c1 5 cache levels +load metadata  (Read 3990 times)

tmx3

c1 5 cache levels +load metadata
« on: January 13, 2010, 05:44:09 am »

Hey Everyone,

Just wondering about a couple of features of c1 5 pro - in preferences you can set the cache level for preview image size up to "1000 px". When would you want to use this, if at all? Surely you wouldnt look at something at 100% at 72dpi, so it cant affect this? The other day was on shoot and the software periodically refused to rez previews at 100% -could altering this change anything?
Also I'm curious about the "load metadata" function under "file". Clicking on this doesnt seem to do anything - when would you use this. Many thanks : )

craigwashburn

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:27:14 pm »

Quote from: tmx3
Hey Everyone,

Just wondering about a couple of features of c1 5 pro - in preferences you can set the cache level for preview image size up to "1000 px". When would you want to use this, if at all? Surely you wouldnt look at something at 100% at 72dpi, so it cant affect this? The other day was on shoot and the software periodically refused to rez previews at 100% -could altering this change anything?
Also I'm curious about the "load metadata" function under "file". Clicking on this doesnt seem to do anything - when would you use this. Many thanks : )

The ideal preview size depends on your display resolution and toolbar layout.  Basically if you have a large display with lots of resolution, you want a large preview size.  Otherwise C1 will take the time to fully compute the preview as if you had displayed it at 100%.  

I have also discovered that if your preview size is set too large for your display, the downsizing algorithm will really wreck the quality of what is shown - it will appear very soft, even though the image may be quite sharp at 100%.

tmx3

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 04:08:21 pm »

Quote from: craigwashburn
The ideal preview size depends on your display resolution and toolbar layout.  Basically if you have a large display with lots of resolution, you want a large preview size.  Otherwise C1 will take the time to fully compute the preview as if you had displayed it at 100%.  

I have also discovered that if your preview size is set too large for your display, the downsizing algorithm will really wreck the quality of what is shown - it will appear very soft, even though the image may be quite sharp at 100%.

Hey thanks for your response - thats really interesting. btw I meant to say -"Surely you wouldnt look at something at more than 100% at 72dpi" but i think you u derstood the nature of my question! my monitor is 1280 x1024 - its currently set to 1000px which would be correct in this case, right? Although don't you give height as the figure when talking about display resolution?. However I am probably using only half the screen for the preview most of the time, (maybe toggling the tools, or browser off if we need a bigger preview)- so would a smaller preview size be best?

craigwashburn

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 08:32:21 pm »

Quote from: tmx3
Hey thanks for your response - thats really interesting. btw I meant to say -"Surely you wouldnt look at something at more than 100% at 72dpi" but i think you u derstood the nature of my question! my monitor is 1280 x1024 - its currently set to 1000px which would be correct in this case, right? Although don't you give height as the figure when talking about display resolution?. However I am probably using only half the screen for the preview most of the time, (maybe toggling the tools, or browser off if we need a bigger preview)- so would a smaller preview size be best?

I have a display about that size - I use the smallest preview cache size which is 600? something.   I place my image browser on the right side of the screen as I shoot mostly verticals.  

Sometimes I'll up the preview size if I'm using dual monitors, with the tools on one display, and the other devoted to the image entirely.

Previews will regenerate to the new size the next time you select them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up