Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Info About Redwood NP  (Read 4574 times)

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Need Info About Redwood NP
« on: April 30, 2005, 11:26:06 am »

I love the area, and get there about once a year or so (in fact, I'm going to be around Humboldt Redwoods State Park in a couple of weeks).  I've been down Bald Hills Road several times, including a couple of months ago.  It's a good-quality graded dirt road that should be fine in any passenger car (except maybe extremely low-clearance sports cars) so you should be fine.  A little bit of pothole-slaloming, but relatively little.  Mostly, it's pretty fast for a dirt road.  I should add the caveat, though, that I've only taken it from 101 to the Tall Tress access road, not further to Weitchpec, so I don't know for sure that it's the same quality all the way along.  If you're driving during the dark, though, I'd take it slowly and carefully to avoid the worst potholes, but I wouldn't call it crazy.

While you're in the area, though, don't forget the other redwood state parks in the area, which are every bit as good as the national park.  One would normally think the national park would be the best bit, but in this case the state parks were there first, and the national park only took the best bit that was left over.  Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, and Humboldt Redwoods State Park are all at least as good as the national park.  I'd particularly recommend Fern Canyon (in Prairie Creek), Howland Hills Road to Stout Grove (in Jed Smith), and the Rockefeller Forest (in Humboldt).

Also, the town of Eureka on the coast has a handful of great overwrought Victorian houses that are very photogenic if you like that sort of thing.  (And an excellent though pricey restaurant at the Hotel Carter.)

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Concorde-SST

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 03:07:49 pm »

Hi Jens,

yes - that location (the road with the radar station) - is very
very beautiful in February - awesome views of the pacific
Ocean (not that much foliage on the trees) are possible and
the redwoods are close - just try to drive around - say from
south Oregon to San Francisco - at the Ocean its a great
landscape.

all the best,

Concorde-SST
Andreas Suchert
Nuernberg, Germany.

Concorde-SST

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 12:15:44 pm »

Bob,

Aw - I envy you!! No - I´m not a flatlander, I just am too far
away from the Ocean!! Darn!

:-) Shoot the #### out of your camera!!

all the best,

Andreas Suchert
Concorde-SST
Nuernberg,
Germany.

Jens Peermann

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 12:22:27 am »

Last year, on my way back from the Oregon Coast, I paid a short visit to Redwood NP. I decided to go there again next month and spend more time. My particular interest is for the southern part of the park, the Bald Hills Road area. This road actually leaves the park to the southeast and continues to Weitchpec. My information says that it is a dirt road and not recommended for motorhomes and trailers. Shouldn't be a problem for my minivan. But how bad, or good, is this road really? Does anybody know?

I am intending to drive to Orleans, just north of Weitchpec, on May 13th and camp there overnight. Then drive this road the next morning before sunrise past Schoolhouse Peak into the park. Is this safe to do or am I crazy?

Any info about this, as well as other parts of the park, is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jens Peermann

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 04:46:52 pm »

Thanks Lisa.

I will certainly visit all the places you have mentioned. I already visited Fern Canyon and drove through Prairy Creek Redwood SP up to the WWII Radar Station and I will go there again. My intention is to roll up the whole State/National Park quilt from the south to the north.

Bobtrips

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 04:26:49 pm »

It's sweet here at the moment.  (I live a bit south of the Park.)

The rains are starting to let up and the summer fog hasn't established itself yet.  Things are very green and wildflowers are everywhere.  You can pretty much pick the type of flowers you want by moving up and down in elevation.

Great clouds/sunsets this time of year.  Try some late afternoon shots from 2500'+ and you will most likely find yourself looking out on a sea of clouds with the odd peak showing through.

The deer are out in great numbers grazing the open meadows and the elk should be in fine form.  Lots of migratory birds moving through.  Thousands of Canadian geese make a prolonged stop along the coast.  Some are lingering still....

And if you are interested in shooting buildings most of the Victorians are splendid with their brightly blooming gardens.  Arcata, Eureka, and especially Ferndale are great places for Painted Ladies.

(And best of all - the flatlanders in their RVs have not yet appeared in great numbers. ;o)

Concorde-SST

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 12:17:25 pm »

sorry - I didn´t use a strong word for the "blackened" or censored part...

I thought the site isn´t located in the US? Is that the country where
you can´t speak freely in the TV? :-)

best,

Andreas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up