Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Navigating through Yosemite's high country in April  (Read 8701 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
Navigating through Yosemite's high country in April
« on: January 11, 2010, 11:54:15 pm »

I know that the Tioga Pass generally doesn't open until June/July. I need to get from Death Valley to the Valley of Yosemite in mid April. Then I will be heading on to Big Sur. If anyone knows this area well, please advise. I took another route a couple of years ago (the Tioga Pass was still closed). I believe that it was referred to as the Sonora Pass. There were still 15' drifts along the route .... in June.

Is there another route? If so, how long would it take to get to the valley from Death Valley? And what route would you advise from Yosemite to Big Sur?
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

Paul Sumi

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 01:31:41 am »

Quote from: bellimages
Is there another route? If so, how long would it take to get to the valley from Death Valley? And what route would you advise from Yosemite to Big Sur?

Hopefully others will chime in who are more knowledgeable about getting around this area than I am.  You might also try posting this on the Landscape forum at Fred Miranda.

AFAIK there is no "good" way to get to Yosemite from Death Valley in April.

Someone may have a better idea, but my own thought is to travel west from DV to 395 through either Lone Pine or Ridgecrest.

Go south on 395 to the 58 and then head west toward Bakersfield.

From there go north on the 99 to Merced then (more or less) take the 140 to Yosemite Valley.

You'll need to check, tire chains may be required, by law.

Alternately I'm wondering if you could go north on 395 to Tahoe area and come west on 50 or 85?  Have never tried that myself.

As for Yosemite to Big Sur, I would personally head west to the east Bay (Berkeley/Oakland), take the 880 south to the 101 and then head west to the coast (hwy 1) on the 156 or 152 secondary highways.  But I'm sure there are better ways of which I am not aware.

I guestimate pretty much a full day of travel for both legs.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 12:39:30 pm by Paul Sumi »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 10:16:19 am »

For DV to Yosemite I would definitely go via the Bakersfield route. You need to get to the west side of the Sierras as far south as feasible to avoid possible snow blockage. My mapping program (DeLorme) suggests the Bakersfield route is about 371 miles from the west exit of DV, while the Tahoe route is 432 miles, so it's shorter, too.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Paul Sumi

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 12:37:50 pm »

Quote from: Eric Myrvaagnes
My mapping program (DeLorme) suggests...

I just checked, Google Maps works pretty well, too.  For example it came up with a more direct Yosemite-Big Sur route (through Los Banos) , on secondary roads I have driven in the past.  But not sure this way is best route for someone not familiar with the area.

Paul

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 01:11:20 pm »

You might consider Bakersfield to Fresno (via Hwy 99), then take Hwy 41 to the south entrance of Yosemite. Most would consider this the easiest route. It's shorter and should save 40 minutes of driving or more. Going all the way up to Merced and Hwy 140 would be more time and distance, i.e. less direct.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 01:12:58 pm by DFAllyn »

Greg Campbell

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 03:48:55 pm »

From DV, head west on 190.  If the road is clear, and you've not pressed for time, you can take the Wildrose Canyon cutoff.  It's paved, but kinda slow.  It's also very pretty!  Short dirt-road detours to Skidoo and the Charcoal Kilns are available if the roads are dry.  Staying on 190 to Panamint Valley Road is quicker.  Once you reach Panamint Valley, head south on 178 (Trona / Widlrose road) to Ridgecrest.  Stay on 178 across Walker Pass.  If Walker is closed, or you're averse to curvy roads, take 395 and 58 to B-field.  This is further, but much faster.  In terms of time, they are roughly equal.  Avoid 178 on holidays or weekends!  Much of the road is is two lane, and it will be clogged with RVs.

Leaving Lake Isabella, you have two roughly equal choices.
Take 155 to Delano and Highway 99, or stay on 178 all the way to Bakersfield.  155 is slow and snarly, but shorter and very pretty when you drop down into the foothills.  (Don't try the Jack Ranch Road shortcut to Fountain Springs unless you've got plenty of time - the road is VERY slow.)
178 to Bakersfield is a fairly quick drive, but is (once again) a little longer.    

North on 99 to Fresno, then 41 to Yos.
Or stay on 99 to the Madera area, and take the quicker 140 east.  If you're headed directly for the valley floor, this route might be fractionally faster.  

IMO, I don't suggest the Northern Route, via Tahoe.  The roads entering Yos from that direction tend to pass through lots of small towns and can suck up time like crazy.

No matter which route you take, total driving time from DV (Furnace Creek) to Yosemite will be "All day."  I'd guess 10 hours at the least.  There are plenty of things to see along the way, maybe you could camp near Isabella (there's a nice free site just W. of Walker Pass) and make it a leisurely two day drive?

From Yos to Big Sur.  West on 140, drop down to 152.  I don't know the best way to get through the Monterey/Carmel area.  Expect plenty of traffic.  Taking Laureles Grade road from 168 (at Laguna Seca Raceway) to Carmel Valley Rd., then west to 1 may be the best.  (??)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:57:26 pm by Greg Campbell »

bellimages

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 03:19:59 pm »

Thanks guys. I too, use Googlemaps for route planning. But I wanted to hear your thoughts on road conditions that I might encounter in mid-April if I take 395 north  through Lee Vining (by Mono Lake). The distance by using that route is close to half the distance of the southern/eastern route --around Sequoia and Kings Canyon.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 03:56:34 pm »

Thanks guys. I too, use Googlemaps for route planning. But I wanted to hear your thoughts on road conditions that I might encounter in mid-April if I take 395 north  through Lee Vining (by Mono Lake). The distance by using that route is close to half the distance of the southern/eastern route --around Sequoia and Kings Canyon.

Route 395 should be no problem, as it is at low elevations, east of the Sierras. The trouble is that route 120 from Lee Vining west is often closed until sometime in July. You really need to get to the west side of the Sierras much farther south or you won't be able to get across the mountains.

Route 120, which goes by Tuolumne Meadows, is absolutely gorgeous -- but in the Summer only!

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Greg Campbell

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 08:10:55 pm »

I think you're getting spun around somehow.  Highway 120, from Lee Vining to Yosemite Valley, IS Tioga Pass and it WILL be closed in April.    

If you head north, you'll need to go all the way to Lake Tahoe to cross the mountains.
Sonora Pass (HWY 108), Ebbets Pass (Hwy 4), and Carson Pass (88) will all be snowed in.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:11:26 pm by Greg Campbell »

Paul Sumi

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 10:51:22 pm »

Quote from: Eric Myrvaagnes
Route 120, which goes by Tuolumne Meadows, is absolutely gorgeous -- but in the Summer only!

It's gorgeous in the winter, too.  But you have to X-C ski or snowshoe in to see it in person!  

BTW - if you want to take a virtual look at Yosemite right now:

http://www.yosemite.org/129/Web-Cam-View.htm

Paul
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:55:36 pm by Paul Sumi »

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 11:36:24 am »

Yosemite to the Carmel/Big Sur area:

140 W to 152.

Go through Los Banos---ain't pretty but it's civilization.  Over Pacheco Pass.

Stay on 152 or cut across on 156 (better) to get to the 101 S (Salinas/Monterey Peninsula)

Go south on 101.  Take 156 Monterey Peninsula.  This will turn into Highway 1 south.  You're now about ten minutes from Monterey and Carmel.

Carmel Highlands and Big Sur are just a short drive on Hwy 1 from Carmel.

bellimages

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 06:19:47 pm »

Quote from: Greg Campbell
I think you're getting spun around somehow.  Highway 120, from Lee Vining to Yosemite Valley, IS Tioga Pass and it WILL be closed in April.    

If you head north, you'll need to go all the way to Lake Tahoe to cross the mountains.
Sonora Pass (HWY 108), Ebbets Pass (Hwy 4), and Carson Pass (88) will all be snowed in.
No not turned around. It was 108 that I took back in the June of 2008. Tioga Pass was still closed, but 108 was open. I encountered snow drifts along the road that were about 15 feet tall (even in June).

Paul Sumi

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 06:42:21 pm »

No not turned around. It was 108 that I took back in the June of 2008. Tioga Pass was still closed, but 108 was open. I encountered snow drifts along the road that were about 15 feet tall (even in June).

According to CalTrans (California Department of Transportation), the last few years Sonora Pass (108) has been closed for the winter until the beginning of May, at the earliest:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/clsdlst.htm

This has the dates for the other trans-sierra passes as well as a phone number for up-to-date conditions.

It looks like you're SOL for April.  Unfortunately, for that time of year, the Bakersfield route looks like your best bet.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 12:13:14 am by Paul Sumi »

wittsend2

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 01:29:43 am »

My route from DV to Bakersfield-take Hwy 190 out of DV West to Olancha and US 395. US 395 south to Hwy 14/US 395 cutoff, and stay on Hwy 14 (towards Mojave/Lancaster/Palmdale. US 395 cuts off from Hwy 14 towards San Diego). Hwy 14 to Hwy 58 (outside Mojave) to Bakersfield. From Bakersfield, take Hwy 99 to Fresno, take Hwy 41 to the valley floor, as suggested by a previous poster. Hwy 178 over Walker pass is a beautiful alternative route, but it is definitely a much more windy road. Having travelled both many times (I live in Bakersfield) I normally take the Hwy 14 route unless I am not in a hurry. The Kern River Canyon (178) is steep and curvy, but the river should be flowing strong in mid April. Red Rock Canyon state park is also along Hwy 14 and is very scenic.

From Yosemite Valley, take 140 west until Hwy 5. Go south on Hwy 5 to Hwy 152 (town/travel center Santa Nella is about 5 miles north from the cutoff for 152) Take 152 west to Hwy 101 and head south. Take Hwy 101 south to Hwy 156 (Prunedale) and go west on Hwy 156 until you hit the coast and then South on Hwy 1 toward Monterey. Take US 1 south to Big Sur.

Driving time should be about 8 hours in the car I think. From Bakersfield to Fresno is about two hours, and from Fresno to Yosemite is 1.5-2 hours depending on traffic and road conditions. From DV to Bakersfield is also around 4 hours(through Olancha and Hwy 190-did it last March). Enjoy the trip-I will be camping in Yosemite at the beginning of April and it should be beautiful. Good luck.

David Wittenberg
Pages: [1]   Go Up