Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Warm" color cast in B&W after calibration!!?!  (Read 19351 times)

Marco Ugolini

• http://
"Warm" color cast in B&W after calibration!!?!
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 03:12:19 pm »

Quote from: mrazster
Second run with same hardware but whitepoint set to native...and now we´re getting some where.
As for a native white point, it usually works well, because it requires less vcgt adjustments to profile the display effectively (meaning, the adjustments, contained in the monitor profile's own vcgt tab, to the RGB curves that modify the CPU's video card's output table), thus avoiding the loss of too many of the 256 tonal levels, hence with a lower chance of visible banding.

Also, human vision is adaptive, which means that the white point on the screen will appear neutral to you after a short time needed for your vision to "reset" itself to the new white balance, and as long as there are no other light sources in your work environment's field of vision whose brightness exceeds and overpowers that of your monitor.

On the other hand, if your monitor is used in combination with a daylight viewing booth next to it for comparative viewing, then you cannot use the monitor's native white point: instead, you will have to modify the monitor's white point to match that of the booth, otherwise, for example, one may look bluish and the other yellowish. That would be because your vision, faced with two mismatched white points, would no longer know which one to adapt to.

Besides their white points, the brightness levels of the two devices will also have to match, making it preferable to have a booth with a dimmer, since it's easier to match the booth's brightness to that of the monitor than the other way around, within limits, of course.

So, long story short: in the absence of a viewing booth, a native white point is very useful and serviceable.
Marco Ugolini

mrazster

• Monochromatic.nu
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 06:25:24 pm »

As for the sorrounding ambient light, I have med sure I don´t have any light sources disturbing with colorcasts e.t.c.

I´m done testing the Spyder 3 now...and I had to go all they way up to 8000k,130 luminance and 2,2 gamma to get the result i want...this seemes very odd to me.

I´m fully aware that I have to let my eyes adjust to my newly calibrated system...and that it mabye should feel "alittle" warmer....but so far it has affected my B&W(wich is my main work/consern) in a way so that I dont feel like I´m getting a pure grayscale, in an image I know I have as pure black and as pure white as you can get out of it, it doesnt feel B&W....it feels lik a monochromatic picture with a color tint, photofilter, color cast....or what ever you call it.
And that is simply just not acceptable...I need to feel that my pictures are B&W when I want them to.

So..moving on to the i1 Display 2....I´ll be back  
http://www.monochromatic.nu - Black´n White Photography
iMac 27" - Canon EOS 1Ds MK III - Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8 L - Canon EF 24-105mm F/4 L IS USM

mrazster

• Monochromatic.nu
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 07:04:58 pm »

AND THERE IT IIIISS !!!!!!!!!!!  

i1 Display 2...first run D65, lumin. 130, gamma 2.2 ...not perfect but astronomicly better the the spyder.
So I guess...it´s a pretty safe assumtion that my spyder is some how defected ???
iMac 27" - Canon EOS 1Ds MK III - Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8 L - Canon EF 24-105mm F/4 L IS USM

Marco Ugolini

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 09:08:10 pm »

AND THERE IT IIIISS !!!!!!!!!!!  

i1 Display 2...first run D65, lumin. 130, gamma 2.2 ...not perfect but astronomicly better the the spyder.
So I guess...it´s a pretty safe assumtion that my spyder is some how defected ???
Gotta say, the Spyders were no good when I first used them in 2000 (I had ordered five of them for use at the company I worked with at the time: four out of five were severely defective, and the fifth one was a little less defective, but still no good), and they still seem to fail far more often than would be fair to expect.

I never recommend them to anyone who asks me for advice.
Marco Ugolini

mrazster

• Monochromatic.nu
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 03:40:26 am »

Yeah that might be...colormanagement is pretty new to me so I was just following the recomendations I recived.

Anyway...thanks so much for all your inputs and ideas...much apreciated.

It was still a smidge off...so I went for 6700K, 130cd/m, gamma 2.2, blackpoint at absolut rendering....and it´s all there.
It´s working fine even with the colors e.t.c
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 03:41:37 am by mrazster »

ChasP505

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 08:18:47 am »

Quote from: Marco Ugolini
Gotta say, the Spyders were no good when I first used them in 2000 (I had ordered five of them for use at the company I worked with at the time: four out of five were severely defective, and the fifth one was a little less defective, but still no good), and they still seem to fail far more often than would be fair to expect.

I never recommend them to anyone who asks me for advice.

Marco, my record with Spyder products (Spyder2 and Spyder3) is slightly better than yours. Two out of five were bad.  The good ones were VERY good.  I had an excellent Spyder2 Pro which I used for two years.  I continue to use the puck from a Spyder3 Express kit and I'm very happy with it.  I would still recommend the Spyder3 Elite as an option for "experienced" users with a wide gamut LCD, with the caveat that if you think you may have a defective device, don't waste your time and emotional energy trying to make it work.  Return/exchange it immediately.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 08:22:44 am by ChasP505 »
Chas P.

Marco Ugolini

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 04:41:13 pm »

It was still a smidge off...so I went for 6700K, 130cd/m, gamma 2.2, blackpoint at absolut rendering....and it´s all there.
When you say it was "still a smidge off", do you mean compared to what, exactly?
Marco Ugolini

mrazster

• Monochromatic.nu
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 08:40:39 pm »

Compared to what I belive is black and white...with any colortints or colorcasts...and after making sure there is as little sorrounding light affecting my monitor as possible.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 08:41:18 pm by mrazster »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up