Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: COLOR-CALIBRATED LAPTOPS?  (Read 17657 times)

rickhatCHROMiX

COLOR-CALIBRATED LAPTOPS?
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 06:30:43 pm »

John:

No current laptop that I know of can rival that of a higher end hardware calibratible monitor (all Eizo CG models, some NEC 80 series, most NEC MultiSync 90 series and the new NEC PA241W). A correctly calibrated reference monitor in a stable viewing environment is ideal for final color corrections. However, many photographers only have the option of using a laptop in the field or traveling. The practical realities mandate that when viewing on a laptop you should still calibrate it. Calibration provides viewing stability and consistency over time, and the profile created provides interchange for the next step, whether its printing, transferring to a lab or just editing and archiving back at your studio.

Several good software packages exist, my favorite being ColorEyes Display Pro. X-Rite has several packages: an i1Display2 or i1Basic with i1Match, ColorMunki device and ColorMunki software. DataColor has the Spyder3 variants.

Standard advice.... when shopping for a laptop, get one with as good a screen as you can afford. And then calibrate it. It will definitely help.

rickhatCHROMiX

flash

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 10:06:22 pm »

The Sony AW series (discontinued in most places) were hardware calibrated at the factory and calibrate very well, if you get the full HD screen. 137% of aRGB colour space, so, very wide gamut and excellent viewing angles. I can't tell the difference between mine and my Eizo monitor as far as quality of image is concerned. I'm sure my own eyes are the limiting factor. The Lenovo W700 series has the option of built in hardware calibration (modified Huey Pro) close to aRGB colour space and a wacom panel in the handrest. I haven't seen the Dellbut it is supposed to be a good screen as well.

Finding a good laptop screen is difficult but possible.

Gordon

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 08:09:40 pm »

I have owned three versions of the Dell Precision laptop because it's a good choice for my day job, and I enjoy the NEC 2690 connected to a desktop for home photo editing.  I have the itch to replace an aging Dell Precision M90 with a newer M6500 LED-type mobile workstation and read some review information (you need to look at the "Update" section).  Note that the M6500 machines are expensive, but not as expensive as my engineering software.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2957/9

I have i1 Match 3 puck & software for the laptop... any way for me to confirm color calibration accuracy as shown in the review?

wtlloyd

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 01:08:55 am »

The Lenovo W510 has a built in color profiling option. There has been a hold on the FHD screen option, which has a 95% Adobe RGB gamut. FHD screens are supposed to be available in June, but there has been a monthly postponement of availability for 4 straight months....

jimsharp

• http://jlss.smugmug.com/
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 09:54:06 pm »

I just placed an order for the 'Lenovo W701ds' with the premium WUXGA (RGB LED), 100% gamut duel 17" & 10" screens.
Looking forward to delivery but having to wait 4 weeks on back order!.....  
Will have to report back with my review when it arrives.
Link:http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...10/W701-W701ds

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 11:31:42 am »

Quote from: wtlloyd
The Lenovo W510 has a built in color profiling option. There has been a hold on the FHD screen option, which has a 95% Adobe RGB gamut. FHD screens are supposed to be available in June, but there has been a monthly postponement of availability for 4 straight months....

Mine is on the way. There are plenty of resellers on ebay that have connections at the factories in China. They scoop them up before they even get shipped to Lenovo.
Laptop Authority is another online reseller that has recently got the FHD in stock.
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up