Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seek lens distortion correction plugin for PS  (Read 4771 times)

AFairley

Seek lens distortion correction plugin for PS
« on: January 09, 2010, 11:49:27 am »

I am looking for a Photoshop plugin that will correct the complex waveform distortion, aka "moustache distortion" exhibited by some zooms at the wide end, in my case the Olympus ZD 12-60mm.  

The lens correction filter in PS (and ACR) only handles simple barrelling and pincushioning.  I have PTLens, but it does not correct the distortion completely.  The Olympus software, which is not a plugin anyway, doesn't correct it completely either.  The DXO software does, but, of course, that's not a plugin either.  I don't want to use a standalone program since my workflow is to open the ACR-processed file in PS as a smart object so I can go back and apply adjustments in ACR if needed during PP.

Thanks for any leads

Pete Berry

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 01:45:16 pm »

Quote from: AFairley
I am looking for a Photoshop plugin that will correct the complex waveform distortion, aka "moustache distortion" exhibited by some zooms at the wide end, in my case the Olympus ZD 12-60mm.  

The lens correction filter in PS (and ACR) only handles simple barrelling and pincushioning.  I have PTLens, but it does not correct the distortion completely.  The Olympus software, which is not a plugin anyway, doesn't correct it completely either.  The DXO software does, but, of course, that's not a plugin either.  I don't want to use a standalone program since my workflow is to open the ACR-processed file in PS as a smart object so I can go back and apply adjustments in ACR if needed during PP.

Thanks for any leads

You need to look no further than PTLens - for $25 a supremely easy to use PS plugin or stand-alone that has profiles for hundreds of lenses, including the Oly 12-60. It will recognize your lens and focal length setting and apply the proper correction for the complex distortion at 12 (or any FL). Also vignetting and CA removal functions.

Pete
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:45:49 pm by Pete Berry »

AFairley

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 02:23:22 pm »

Quote from: Pete Berry
You need to look no further than PTLens - for $25 a supremely easy to use PS plugin or stand-alone that has profiles for hundreds of lenses, including the Oly 12-60. It will recognize your lens and focal length setting and apply the proper correction for the complex distortion at 12 (or any FL). Also vignetting and CA removal functions.

Pete

Thanks, Pete, but as I said, PTLens (which I own and have been happily using for the 14-54mm) does not completely correct the distortion for the 12-60mm, it leaves some residual barrelling, which must be corrected with the PS lens filter.  I am going to ask Tom Neimann to tweak the profile for the lens, but am also looking for other alternatives to try as a fallback.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 02:32:19 pm »

It's still in early pre-alpha stages, but you may find this of interest. You can download the latest version of the tech demo here. When finished, it will handle even the most complex lens distortions and CA, as well as remove lens, AA filter, and demosaic blur via deconvolution. It won't be ready for prime time for a few more months, but you may find it worth the wait.

Pete Berry

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 01:48:47 pm »

Quote from: AFairley
Thanks, Pete, but as I said, PTLens (which I own and have been happily using for the 14-54mm) does not completely correct the distortion for the 12-60mm, it leaves some residual barrelling, which must be corrected with the PS lens filter.  I am going to ask Tom Neimann to tweak the profile for the lens, but am also looking for other alternatives to try as a fallback.

Somehow missed the 2nd paragraph - phone rang or the 70 year old brain misfired again! In past communications on the Oly DSLR forum, Tom Niemann mentioned that his profile is correct only for infinity focus - then +/- 1 px, which sounds a bit far-fetched, I must say. I didn't realize that DXO supported Oly's lenses, and glad to hear that fully corrects the 12-60's 12mm distortions. I'm off to download thr trial version of 6.x. Maybe a PS plugin is in the future?

Pete

Pages: [1]   Go Up