Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: buying advice needed - first dedicated A3 photo ink jet  (Read 1505 times)

menos

• http://www.teknopunk.com
buying advice needed - first dedicated A3 photo ink jet
« on: January 09, 2010, 12:24:39 am »

I am preparing myself for buying a A3 ink jet.
I have no real overview, what would be best for me, but have eyed the Canon 9500 printer for a budget of 500,- EUR so far.

I am not educated on which papers can be printed best with this printer.

In my area, EPSON paper is available and would be my first starting point.

I would like to mainly print monochrome (mainly scans from black and white film and slight cyan tinted monochrome files from digital conversions).

As a starting point, I would prefer to replicate the look of traditional wet prints and develop my taste from there.

I work on a Mac with Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and Lightroom. I scan with EPSON Scan and Vuescan 135 film.

Can you give me any advice on the Canon 9500 or alternatives?

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 07:04:43 am »

Quote from: menos
I am preparing myself for buying a A3 ink jet.
I have no real overview, what would be best for me, but have eyed the Canon 9500 printer for a budget of 500,- EUR so far.

I am not educated on which papers can be printed best with this printer.

In my area, EPSON paper is available and would be my first starting point.

I would like to mainly print monochrome (mainly scans from black and white film and slight cyan tinted monochrome files from digital conversions).

As a starting point, I would prefer to replicate the look of traditional wet prints and develop my taste from there.

I work on a Mac with Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and Lightroom. I scan with EPSON Scan and Vuescan 135 film.

Can you give me any advice on the Canon 9500 or alternatives?

I only have experience with the i9550, and am very happy with the results. For monochrome it's not the best, but after I had proper calibrated profile made for my paper color casts all but disappeared. I'm not sure how it fares against pigment printers with 2 blacks.

For paper I order Red River Paper's products from the US, which is much cheaper than buying any other paper locally - go figure. And I can't tell the difference, I've had several sample packs from Hahnemühle and tested Canon's and Epson's papers. Epson had nasty purplish color cast with the Canon, but I presume this would disappear with proper profiling.

I have a recent post with comparisons of ink costs between the Canon and Epson pigment printers which might be of interest to you.

menos

• http://www.teknopunk.com
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 12:11:47 am »

Quote from: feppe
I only have experience with the i9550, and am very happy with the results. For monochrome it's not the best, but after I had proper calibrated profile made for my paper color casts all but disappeared. I'm not sure how it fares against pigment printers with 2 blacks.

For paper I order Red River Paper's products from the US, which is much cheaper than buying any other paper locally - go figure. And I can't tell the difference, I've had several sample packs from Hahnemühle and tested Canon's and Epson's papers. Epson had nasty purplish color cast with the Canon, but I presume this would disappear with proper profiling.

I have a recent post with comparisons of ink costs between the Canon and Epson pigment printers which might be of interest to you.

Thanks for the Redriver tip Harri.

I bought a discounted Canon Pixma 9500 and ordered a few sample paper packs from Redriver.
Their website is very, very well made and much easier and quicker to navigate than the EPSON site (I wanted to find out about their papers, as this is locally available).
Pages: [1]   Go Up