Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 seconds in, desktop changes color...  (Read 2412 times)

Etrsi_645

4 seconds in, desktop changes color...
« on: January 08, 2010, 11:09:03 am »

hi all,

New here to the forum, but I felt this is the place to go.

Somehow my profiling has gotten messed up. I am on Windows 7 home premium. For several weeks it was working ok. Now LightRoom shows garrishly strong red tint and bad contrast.  As my desktop appears the background image looks reasonably ok.  After about 4 seconds it turns bad; Strong saturation sets in.  I use  Pulse ColorElite to calibrate/profile (Monaco Optix XR). I have an Nvidia GTX 260 video card and 2 LCD monitors.  It is monitor "2" that I have identified as my primary (Dell 2209WA). I have used X-Rite's "tool crib" to get the proper driver for my Optix. In Windows "color management" screens I have chosen the proper profile and have also clicked on advanced to set them as the system defaults.  I also check marked "use my settings for this device" and "use Windows display calibration".  In my Nvidia software I have said to NOT use any Nvidia color corrections.  When I save my profile to disk from Pulse ColorElite, I get an error--something to the effect--cannot load/use Monacogamma, but the profile seems to save ok. MonacoGamma is not in my startup folder, but MonacoReminder is.

This all started when in msconfig, I said start normally and load all startup items.  At the Lagom site at the "contrast" screen the reds and several other colors are only discernable through the number 21 about; they used to be discernable through about 30/31.

thanks,
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 03:41:23 pm by Etrsi_645 »
Pentax K-5 with lenses: DA* 16-50 f/2.8,

Etrsi_645

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 01:30:53 pm »

I solved it!  After a day and a half of screwing around with this problem, I found the answer. In the Nvidia control panel on the left side choose "adjust desktop color settings".   Then on the right side under option 3. "apply the following enhancements", make sure "digital vibrance" is set to 50% and "hue" to 0%.  My digital vibrance was set to 90% (did I do that? lol).   A few percentage points below 50 and you see gray scale coming on, a few points above 50 and you see the oversaturated and garish happening.

I went wrong on this because option 2 on this window "choose how color is set" had "other applications control color settings"  chosen, so I thought I had turned off all Nvidia intervention, but option 2 does not apply to option 3.  Nvidia, apparently, ALWAYS applies option 3, regardless..

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 03:10:18 pm »

Congratulations!

It's always satisfying to solve a problem yourself, especially when a few minutes before it has seemed utterly insoluble.

I have Nvidia, too, so now I'm warned to be careful with the controls.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Etrsi_645

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 03:40:39 pm »

Yes, it was satisfying... It was distressing that it had been working for weeks, then suddenly went into the tank.  I'm sure that I was the one who caused the problem...  
Pages: [1]   Go Up