Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dark Prints With Epson 3880  (Read 11951 times)

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Dark Prints With Epson 3880
« on: January 07, 2010, 10:28:06 pm »

For some reason even though the monitor (Apple LED 24" Cinema connected to a MacBook Pro 2.66) is calibrated prints seem to alway be dark with the Epson 3880.
These are prints coming from Lightroom with the latest updates.  I let Lightroom manage the color. Paper is Exhibition Fiber Paper however the same problems happens with other papers. This also happens when printing B&W. Any idea what may be causing prints to be dark?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:29:39 pm by StuartOnline »

erick.boileau

• http://
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 01:45:16 am »

Quote from: StuartOnline
For some reason even though the monitor (Apple LED 24" Cinema connected to a MacBook Pro 2.66) is calibrated prints seem to alway be dark with the Epson 3880.
These are prints coming from Lightroom with the latest updates.  I let Lightroom manage the color. Paper is Exhibition Fiber Paper however the same problems happens with other papers. This also happens when printing B&W. Any idea what may be causing prints to be dark?

what is your exact process ?

here are some screen shots in French but maybe it could help  http://ymages.net/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=12332

StuartOnline

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 07:25:36 am »

Quote from: erick.boileau
what is your exact process ?

here are some screen shots in French but maybe it could help  http://ymages.net/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=12332

Thanks for the reply.  Even though your screen shots are not in English that looks like what I am doing.
Let me menton I also have a Canon IPF5000 and I do not have this problem with that printer.
On another note if I print from Aperture I do not have any real problems.
It only seems to happen with Lightroom and or Photoshop CS3. It is even worse with CS3. Go figure.

Gemmtech

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 07:38:47 am »

My bet is that you somehow in Lightroom are not setting the profile under color management and instead it's "Manage by Printer"  I've done this a couple of times and that's what happens to me.  Just a thought.  IOW, I would check it right before I print.  If you aren't using presets (LOVE THOSE) it's easy to not get all the settings right.  I know you stated above you are letting lightroom management the colors, but what you should see is a profile.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 07:41:43 am by Gemmtech »

StuartOnline

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 09:24:05 am »

Quote from: Nick Walker
First of all

What is your MacBook LCD brightness value set to? Is the brightness setting at 100%? If this is the case wind this down to just above half way - it requires experimentation.

What type of viewing conditions (lighting) are you using to judge the print's reflective properties?

Currently I am using Huey Pro to calibrate the monitors.  However I am looking at getting the X-Rite Eye-One Display 2. Both are from Pantone so I am not really sure if I would get any better results by changing to the Eye-One Display 2. Again let me state I am running with an Apple MacBook Pro 2.66 with an external Apple 24-inch LED Cinema display.

StuartOnline

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 04:25:32 pm »

What brightness value (cd/m2) is your Apple Cinema display set to?

Well, I have the Gamma set to 2.2 and the white point at 6500.
Not really sure you are able to set the brightness value (cd/m2) with an Apple Cinema display. If you can I am not sure how to do that.

StuartOnline

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 07:47:17 pm »

Do you have the USB cable plugged in between the MacBook and Cinema display? You should be able to control the brightness of the Cinema Display from the MacBook keyboard.

That is true as I am able to do that, however doing that does not do anything. Just can't figure out why I am unable to get good prints from Lightroom but can them from Aperture. Photoshop CS3 is even worse then Lightroom. It just does not figure. Now I will say this, if I let the printer manage the color in Lightroom the prints look fairly good.

As I look back I never really had these problem until I upgraded to Snow Leopard.

Looking now to replace the Huey Pro with the X-Rite EyeOne Display 2 next week. Maybe that will solve the problems.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 07:48:14 pm by StuartOnline »

JeanMichel

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 09:19:13 pm »

Hi,

I have a similar issue since moving to CS4 from CS3 and Apple OS X 4.xx . Using the same workflow -- soft-proofing, PS managing colours,etc. the print from my Epson R2400 come out much too dark and saturated. My solution id to do al the work, even pretend to print, then save the file, close the file, reopen it and then print. That produces a proper print.

I saw similar issues discussed in other threads and a couple of people listed the same solution.

Hope that this helps.

Jean-Michel

Shirley Bracken

• http://ssbracken.com
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 08:52:02 am »

This has helped me get good prints.  Thanks.  One more thing, I learned to use save as, so I don't overwrite my original.  Little tips I pick up on these threads really help.

I intend to buy the i1 display or Colormunki.  I'm listening to hear which way I want to go.  Keep talking.
ssbracken.com  (Formerly Bumperjack)

StuartOnline

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 09:40:53 am »

Quote from: Shirley Bracken
This has helped me get good prints.  Thanks.  One more thing, I learned to use save as, so I don't overwrite my original.  Little tips I pick up on these threads really help.

I intend to buy the i1 display or Colormunki.  I'm listening to hear which way I want to go.  Keep talking.

I am also looking at purchasing the X-rite Eye-One but trying to figure out if I should go for the Eye-One LT or the Eye-One Display 2.
The Eye-One Display 2 cost $171.99 where the LT cost $126.99 from BH Photo. Do you get better results with the Display 2?
Currently I am using the Huey Pro, but I am hoping the Eye-One will give better results.

Shirley Bracken

• http://ssbracken.com
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 09:50:43 am »

Hi Stuart.  I am just learning this process myself.  Go to the Xrite site and look at the calibrators.  Looked like about 4 levels, depending on how much production you are hoping for.  I'm wondering if I need to calibrate the printer too.  Those are for monitors and not the printer I think.  

I've heard a lot of talk on this forum about the i1 display.  Seems it is better than then hueys or lts.  I think the i1 display is probably the best choice.

I think I'll listen a little longer to see what others say before I buy anything.  It's the last step in my work flow.  I need one soon.
ssbracken.com  (Formerly Bumperjack)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 01:33:33 pm »

Once again.... The luminance of the display and the print viewing conditions by that display have to both be accounted for when calibrating to result in a visual match.

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words:

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

StuartOnline

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 09:20:22 am »

Quote from: Shirley Bracken
Hi Stuart.  I am just learning this process myself.  Go to the Xrite site and look at the calibrators.  Looked like about 4 levels, depending on how much production you are hoping for.  I'm wondering if I need to calibrate the printer too.  Those are for monitors and not the printer I think.  

I've heard a lot of talk on this forum about the i1 display.  Seems it is better than then hueys or lts.  I think the i1 display is probably the best choice.

I think I'll listen a little longer to see what others say before I buy anything.  It's the last step in my work flow.  I need one soon.

Shirley, I have decided to purchase the Eye-One Display 2 ($171.99) from BH Photo today. From the research I have done over the weekend this seems to be the best for the money. Hope to have this within the next few days.

Guigui

• http://
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 12:33:19 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
Once again.... The luminance of the display and the print viewing conditions by that display have to both be accounted for when calibrating to result in a visual match.

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words:

Andrew, just a quick question. Why did you choose to calibrate your monitor to 150cd/m² luminance and dimming your booth 50% rather than choosing a luminance of say 110/120cd without having to buy a dimmable booth ?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:33:47 pm by Guigui »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 12:44:13 pm »

Quote from: Guigui
Andrew, just a quick question. Why did you choose to calibrate your monitor to 150cd/m² luminance and dimming your booth 50% rather than choosing a luminance of say 110/120cd without having to buy a dimmable booth ?

Because its a bit too low (120 cd/m2) for this display to hit natively. And assuming I could hit this, doesn’t mean I don’t need to dim or raise the booth, they are all different.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

StuartOnline

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 02:55:43 pm »

Well, I received the X-Rite Eye-One Display 2 today.
Installed the software and did the software updates for Snow Leopard.
Monitor is the Apple 24" LED Cinema Display with a Macbook Pro 2.66.
Ran the device using manual and all went well.
Ran some tests via Photoshop CS3 and to my surprise prints where still dark. Go figure.
Did some testing via Lightroom 2.6 and the prints matched the monitor dead on.
Prints where done on ILFORD GALERIE GOLD FIBRE SILK and Epson Velvet Art Paper using Epson 3880.

Also did some test prints with Canon IPF5000.
Now with this printer my blues and greens are now coming out purple printing from Lightroom.

As I have mentioned before all these problems started after installing Snow Leopard.
Never really had so many printing problems until installing Snow Leopard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up