Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing on DiBond  (Read 6906 times)

GunCon

Printing on DiBond
« on: January 07, 2010, 12:11:02 pm »

Anybody tried printing directly onto DiBond? Their website says for "digital printing" but I can't find anybody printing directly to the stuff with a non-UV printer.

I know about the BookSmart stuff, but am looking for something more custom sized. Any other pre-coated aluminum that's out there? ( I don't want to use inkAID or the like)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 02:55:43 pm by GunCon »

Randy Carone

Printing on DiBond
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:43:52 pm »

I believe when they say "digital printing" they are referring to Eco-Solvent or hot solvent inks. A flatbed printer is another method for printing solid substrates such as Dibond. What printer is available to you to print Dibond?
Randy Carone

GunCon

Printing on DiBond
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 02:03:07 pm »

Quote from: Randy Carone
I believe when they say "digital printing" they are referring to Eco-Solvent or hot solvent inks. A flatbed printer is another method for printing solid substrates such as Dibond. What printer is available to you to print Dibond?

I've got an Epson 9800

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Printing on DiBond
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 02:29:19 pm »

I'd leave it to the UV Curable machines...
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Sven W

Printing on DiBond
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 02:36:00 pm »

The thinnest DiBond goes for 2mm and I think that's to much for the Epson.
And the surface doesn't handle waterbased ink, only solvent.

But, the only way to be sure, just test it on a small plate !!
Stockholm, Sweden

Randy Carone

Printing on DiBond
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 03:47:11 pm »

Max thickness on a 9880 is 1.5mm or 59 mils (.059"). Have you considered printing to an adhesive-backed material and mounting it to the Dibond? There are third party vinyls that will do the job and one adhesive-backed paper from Epson that will perform well if they are suitable for your application.

Onsight,
Printable Dibond isn't limited to UV Curable ink. Eco-SOL inks from a Roland, Mutoh, Mimaki, etc. should work fine but be careful with the the 2mm. That may be too thick for those machines. Also, be certain that the Dibond is white as inkjet inks are transparent, with the exception of black.
Randy Carone

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Printing on DiBond
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 04:05:56 pm »

Quote from: Randy Carone
Onsight,
Printable Dibond isn't limited to UV Curable ink. Eco-SOL inks from a Roland, Mutoh, Mimaki, etc. should work fine but be careful with the the 2mm. That may be too thick for those machines. Also, be certain that the Dibond is white as inkjet inks are transparent, with the exception of black.
I know but when one compares the costs of printable metals (and risks of damage via head strikes) versus printing onto bare metal via UV Curable machine, there isn't much of a comparison. I bought the Booksmart metal sampler right when they came out too but it makes a lot more sense to send files for UV curable printing, at least when we're talking about a metal surfaced material (not white or otherwise).

If you like the look at of the silver halide metallic papers, there are some exciting metallic papers coming for inkjet printing.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up