Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3200ps on win 7  (Read 5910 times)

Gurglamei

HP Z3200ps on win 7
« on: January 07, 2010, 08:45:57 am »

I am considering to go from XP64 to Win 7 Ultimate. Before doing so I would like to know if anybody has had any experience with the Z3200ps on Win 7.

I have read there is a problem with the previous Z3100 activating the APS on Win 7. Anybody tried the Z 3200ps?

Christopher

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
HP Z3200ps on win 7
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 08:54:34 am »

A little further down the page see this thread.  I had my challenges getting the driver to load properly.  Others seem to have had problems with APS but this thread has a suggestion for that too if I am not mistaken.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=40456

Gurglamei

HP Z3200ps on win 7
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 04:02:35 am »

Quote from: robertDthomas
A little further down the page see this thread.  I had my challenges getting the driver to load properly.  Others seem to have had problems with APS but this thread has a suggestion for that too if I am not mistaken.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=40456

Thanks for your reply. I see the thread and solution is for the Z3100. Is your experience with the Z3200?

Christopher

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
HP Z3200ps on win 7
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 09:10:49 am »

No, my problem was loading the Z3100 driver.  If you go to the HP website for Z3200 drivers you will find that they plan on releasing in May and for the Z3100 in June of 2010.  I believe many people have been able to get up running with Win 7 and a Z3100 or Z3200 using the Vista drivers.  If not there would be more noise about it on this and other forums.  Some of us have had difficulties such as myself and have had to come up with creative means of getting the driver installed.  I must say that all along I have had a 50:50 shot of getting new HP drivers installed without problems.  Most times I had to try the installation several times before it "took".  I don't believe I have an abnormal system as it is Intel i7 920 based on a ASUS MB with 12G of RAM and a bunch of hard drives both internal and external.

So you may be one of the fortunate ones where all goes smoothly in the conversion to Win 7 (everything except the HP driver went OK for me).  Just make a image of your system drive using Norton Ghost or Acronis (I used this) and have a fresh backup of your data files and plow into it.  BTW I did not do an 'upgrade' where you install Win 7 as an upgrade to Vista.  I had to do a new install of Win 7 as I had Vista Ultimate and got Win 7 Professional.  When I went to upgrade the O/S I got a screen saying I could only 'upgrade' Win 7 Ultimate over Vista Ultimate.  So it went ahead and installed on the drive and Windows left the Vista installation on a directory called 'Old Windows' which included system and data files.  I deleted this later once all tested out well to recover a lot of space on the drive.

Gurglamei

HP Z3200ps on win 7
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 02:29:24 am »

Quote from: robertDthomas
No, my problem was loading the Z3100 driver.  If you go to the HP website for Z3200 drivers you will find that they plan on releasing in May and for the Z3100 in June of 2010.  I believe many people have been able to get up running with Win 7 and a Z3100 or Z3200 using the Vista drivers.  If not there would be more noise about it on this and other forums.  Some of us have had difficulties such as myself and have had to come up with creative means of getting the driver installed.  I must say that all along I have had a 50:50 shot of getting new HP drivers installed without problems.  Most times I had to try the installation several times before it "took".  I don't believe I have an abnormal system as it is Intel i7 920 based on a ASUS MB with 12G of RAM and a bunch of hard drives both internal and external.

So you may be one of the fortunate ones where all goes smoothly in the conversion to Win 7 (everything except the HP driver went OK for me).  Just make a image of your system drive using Norton Ghost or Acronis (I used this) and have a fresh backup of your data files and plow into it.  BTW I did not do an 'upgrade' where you install Win 7 as an upgrade to Vista.  I had to do a new install of Win 7 as I had Vista Ultimate and got Win 7 Professional.  When I went to upgrade the O/S I got a screen saying I could only 'upgrade' Win 7 Ultimate over Vista Ultimate.  So it went ahead and installed on the drive and Windows left the Vista installation on a directory called 'Old Windows' which included system and data files.  I deleted this later once all tested out well to recover a lot of space on the drive.

Thanks,

Christopher

Sunny Kelly

HP Z3200ps on win 7
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 04:46:17 pm »

I have the z3100 loaded and it printing without issue. The only problem I have is that I cannot access the utility to profile new paper. I get the error message,after several minutes, 'Device Unavailable' . I suppose it is a communication  problem, but I really need it to work. I have posted on HP forum as well. Any help wpuld be greatly appreciated.

Sunny Kelly

HP Z3200ps on win 7
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 02:55:46 pm »

Quote from: Sunny Kelly
I have the z3100 loaded and it printing without issue. The only problem I have is that I cannot access the utility to profile new paper. I get the error message,after several minutes, 'Device Unavailable' . I suppose it is a communication  problem, but I really need it to work. I have posted on HP forum as well. Any help wpuld be greatly appreciated.
I have the answer, all that was required was to restart the printer. As to the win7 drivers:http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3204971&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=3204970

the ridge runner

HP Z3200ps on win 7
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 12:12:56 am »

I have just built a new i7/Asus computer, at first tried working with xp pro, then decided on a dual boot with Win 7, 64-bit, just to see if it was time to move in the 64-bit direction.  It was, I believe, time.  I like it so far, mainly because it seems much faster, not too wild about all the mac-like flashy-pop-uppy interface, but i'm sure that can be tamed as i learn more about the OS.  However, I initially had some issues with the z3100 printer driver, and from info I found on this forum, I installed the Vista 64-bit drivers.  Frustration at first, but after a reboot of the printer, I was able to synchronize paper presets, get a print preview window and print out of PSCS4.  I haven't had it running long enough to put it through all the paces, but so far, I like it and I think it's going to work fine.

One note....I had to install most of the HP ICC paper profiles manually..find them in the HPDesignJet folder in Program Files, right-click on Install.  This will put them in the Windows color profiles folder and you should be able to find them with any program after that.

I might add that I have yet to try to profile a paper from the computer, but that is always possible through the printer's control panel, if I am not mistaken.  Then use the HP printer utility to sync papers.

Hope this helps!
Ed, the ridge runner

ShaunMerrigan

HP Z3200ps on win 7
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 10:53:36 pm »

I got in on this thread a little late, but here is my experience:

First,
1) Installed the z3200 on a wired network using the HP CD-Rom from a system running Vista x64, including the initial setup and testing
2) Upgraded the firmwire in the z3200 to the latest version using the same Vista x64 system
2A)The HP Utility did not work properly until I upgarded the printer firmware AND installed the latest version (of the HP Utility) for Vista x64

Then,
3) Downloaded the Windows 7 x64 version of the HP Utility
4) Downloaded the latest z3200 Vista x64 driver
5) Installed the Windows 7 x64 Utility (run as administrator)
6) Installed the Vista x64 driver (run as administrator AND using Vista Service Pack 2 Compatibility Mode)

So, to recap: I did the initial installation, setup and firmware updating on a Vista x64 system, and then installed the Windows 7 x64 version of the HP Utility and the Vista x64 driver on the Windows 7 x64 system as noted above.
I have tested every function of the HP Utility Software with the exception of the firmware update.  Everything works as it should.  Printing from Lightroom x64 works as it should.

I am currently testing the APS on the Windows 7 x64 system. It is installed and running properly (using the reg.key from, you guessed it, the Vista x64 system), and I am testing the printer profiling functions.

Shaun M

ShaunMerrigan

HP Z3200ps on win 7
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 08:40:25 pm »

Following up on my own post  

The APS is working fine under Windows 7 x64 for printer profiling. I have completed a number of profiles using Bill Atkinson's Eye-One targets, as well as the built in targets.  I am still saddled with the "Printer rejects the profile" bug which others have documented, but the presets created with CC work fine, and then I just use the profiles from Lightroom.  

Activating the APS was done on a Vista x64 system, and then the Eye-One and the key file were moved to the Windows 7 x64 system (AFAIK, the software license allows this).  This avoided the "Proxy Server Error" that I received when trying to activate the APS directly from Windows 7 x64.  I did have a problem with the software activation key; this turned out to be a misprinted letter in the key (on the CD sleeve).  HP Support had the problem figured out within 36 hours of my initial phone call, and I was up and running.

I have not yet checked the monitor profiling, as I currently am using the Datacolor Spyder Pro system which is working well on a dual monitor setup.  A bit of research reveals that the APS software can profile dual monitors, so I will test those funtions as well.

Shaun M

Ernst Dinkla

HP Z3200ps on win 7
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 04:32:08 am »

Quote from: ShaunMerrigan
Following up on my own post  

The APS is working fine under Windows 7 x64 for printer profiling. I have completed a number of profiles using Bill Atkinson's Eye-One targets, as well as the built in targets.  I am still saddled with the "Printer rejects the profile" bug which others have documented, but the presets created with CC work fine, and then I just use the profiles from Lightroom.  

Shaun M

If you set APS printer profile saving to the system as well it will at least save the created profile there and with Printer Utility you can bind that system profile to the media preaset afterwards which will load the profile to the printer's harddisc and make it available to other systems. That's what I figured out when I installed APS on Vista 64 and it was confirmed by HP as the solution to the problem. That said I prefer the Z3200 CC above Z3200 APS for the moment.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up