Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone use HP paper with the Canon ipf6100?  (Read 1265 times)

bohngy

Anyone use HP paper with the Canon ipf6100?
« on: January 04, 2010, 01:58:58 pm »

Hi all, long time lurker on these forums, but I thought I would ask some advice from you all (if you don't mind).

After a HORRIBLY long story involving a HP z3100  I have 8 rolls of HP Premium Satin paper "lying around". Is it worth trying them on the Canon ipf6100 (it's in the post) or shall I sell them and source something else? I'm looking for accurate colour and good light-fastness, I would have a custom profile made if people thought, or could report good performance.

I'm asking because I'm being driven insane by all of these boxes in my office.

Thanks

Ben

Pete Berry

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 01:49:22 pm »

I would try just printing from the driver using the premium Canon satin/pearl media type (or with PS, selecting that profile), to get a feel for the paper. A couple of years ago I printed a large variety of glossy family papers with my iPF5000 - including several baryta types - with the same driver setting, just to see the paper differences. What was striking was how similar all looked, with minor differences in brightness, sat., contrast, but with uniform color response, except for slight variations due base warmth/coolness.

If you aren't familiar with the Canon large format Wiki, the is the go-to place for any info regarding your 6100:

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/message/list/FAQ

Pete

MHMG

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 04:23:07 pm »

Quote from: bohngy
I'm looking for accurate colour and good light-fastness, I would have a custom profile made if people thought, or could report good performance.

I'm asking because I'm being driven insane by all of these boxes in my office.

Thanks

Ben

Well, I see no reason that HP Pro Satin wouldn't print well on your iPF6100, especially if you are willing to make a custom profile, but for overall  lightfastness you are much better off with Canon Heavyweight Photographic Satin 300gsm.  HWsatPhoto300gsm is Canon's comparable "look and feel" to the HP Pro Satin paper.  Both papers have OBAs, but the Canon HWsat300 paper uses them more sparingly, and they don't suffer the same rate or degree of burnout as the OBAs in the HP Pro Satin.

kind regards
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up