Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter at the Forks of the Credit River  (Read 5601 times)

John R

Winter at the Forks of the Credit River
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 01:42:04 pm »

Quote from: Joe Behar
Peter,

I spend a lot of time in that area with flyrod and camera in hand and I will vouch that the water can indeed have that green colour, even in winter. The credit River is very rich in plant and animal life and supports a very healthy trout population.

In either case, I'd love to see a series of images with the water manipulated to varying shades of green, blue, cyan and even more garish colours. I think it would make an interesting collage type images. Think Andy Worhol and various colours of Marilyn Monroe.
Ha ha, really like the idea and Peter's bluish version. I created this in Photo Elements by invoking "equalization", so the feature created and accentuated the existing colours, whites, black etc., and of course, the greens and blues. Like Joe's attitude, I viewed the result as expressing the freshness and coldness of the running water and ice. So it is not a literal or documentary image, but an impressionistic one. ...ha, ha, I am still smiling over that suggestion Joe, and may just do it! What an idea!

JMR
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 01:59:26 pm by John R »

JamiePeters

Winter at the Forks of the Credit River
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 01:55:51 pm »

I really liked the green color.  I was in New Hampshire visiting family in part of the cold river and the water really was that green.  Thanks again for reminding me of my visit a couple of years ago.  Color does happen like that when the green algae start to change, due to cold temp shifts, but will have to admit its rare.  It happens also at Lower Calf Creek in Utah also.  JP

Quote from: John R
This is one of many shots I took at the Forks of the Credit River, a beautiful area just north of Toronto. It was bitterly cold (-10 celsius and wind chill about -20!) and the sky became heavy overcast, so I did the best I could with these conditions. Sometimes a soft flat lighting is not so bad. I think it serves this image well. I like how the lack of strong contrast allows the the viewer to look at all the elements almost equally and gives the tree-framed scene an almost 3D look. If the sun was out, I don't think I would be be able to control and balance the snow areas with the dark forested areas and running water. The snow almost got burned out in this shot. BRRR... my feet are still cold!

I have added a second image image, which is more an impression than documentary.

JMR
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up