Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter at the Forks of the Credit River  (Read 5595 times)

John R

Winter at the Forks of the Credit River
« on: January 03, 2010, 05:17:22 pm »

This is one of many shots I took at the Forks of the Credit River, a beautiful area just north of Toronto. It was bitterly cold (-10 celsius and wind chill about -20!) and the sky became heavy overcast, so I did the best I could with these conditions. Sometimes a soft flat lighting is not so bad. I think it serves this image well. I like how the lack of strong contrast allows the the viewer to look at all the elements almost equally and gives the tree-framed scene an almost 3D look. If the sun was out, I don't think I would be be able to control and balance the snow areas with the dark forested areas and running water. The snow almost got burned out in this shot. BRRR... my feet are still cold!

I have added a second image image, which is more an impression than documentary.

JMR
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 01:38:33 pm by John R »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 01:25:08 am »

Hi John:  I like the second image, but I think it would be more impressionistic and more powerful if you lost the shoreline and maybe a bit of the white area off the bottom.  The tree 'reflection' in the rock on the lower left is very nice.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

stamper

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 04:36:36 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Hi John:  I like the second image, but I think it would be more impressionistic and more powerful if you lost the shoreline and maybe a bit of the white area off the bottom.  The tree 'reflection' in the rock on the lower left is very nice.

Mike.

The second one imo is compositionally fine but I think you have over processed it? It has an HDR look which isn't needed?

francois

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 05:29:07 am »

I like the first one (B/W) best. I'm split on the second one, I don't know if it's the high saturated areas but I find saturation a bit over the top. Otherwise, I like to composition and the "shapes" produced by the swift current and the frozen bank.
Francois

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 02:18:12 pm »

Quote from: John R
This is one of many shots I took at the Forks of the Credit River, a beautiful area just north of Toronto. It was bitterly cold and the sky became heavy overcast, so I did the best I could with these conditions. Sometimes a soft flat lighting is not so bad. I think it serves this image well. I like how the lack of strong contrast allows the the viewer to look at all the elements almost equally and gives the tree-framed scene an almost 3D look. If the sun was out, I don't think I would be be able to control and balance the snow areas with the dark forested areas and running water. The snow almost got burned out in this shot. BRRR... my feet are still cold!

I have added a second image image, which is more an impression than documentary.

JMR
I like them both. What does the second look like in b&w?

Jeremy

John R

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 06:24:58 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
I like them both. What does the second look like in b&w?

Jeremy
Mike, Francois, Stamper and Jeremy: Well I will post a BW version. But really, the point of the second image was whimsical and experimental and not at all meant to be an accurate reflection of the scene. I simply set the auto equalization feature and it came out with these wonderful over-the-top greens and whites, which I felt reflected the way I wanted to portray the cold running waters and the freshness of the look of the ice floes and rapids.

And Mike, I take your point. The area in question is not a reflection of trees but layers of ice which you can see in the BW version. So see my other example which is inkeeping with a more impressionist look that I posted on another site. Looks like swimming silver fish. Thanks for the comments guys.

JMR
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:10:24 pm by John R »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 04:40:55 am »

Mike, Francois, Stamper and Jeremy: Well I will post a BW version. But really, the point of the second image was whimsical and experimental and not at all meant to be an accurate reflection of the scene. I simply set the auto equalization feature and it came out with these wonderful over-the-top greens and whites, which I felt reflected the way I wanted to portray the cold running waters and and the freshness of the look of the ice floes and rapids.

And Mike, I take your point. The area in question is not a reflection of trees but layers of ice which you can see in the BW version. So see my other example which is inkeeping with a more impressionist look that I posted on another site. Looks like swimming silver fish. Thanks for the comments guys.

JMR
FWIW, I think I prefer the b&w version. It might be even better with a little more contrast.

Jeremy

John R

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 06:43:49 am »

Quote from: kikashi
FWIW, I think I prefer the b&w version. It might be even better with a little more contrast.

Jeremy
Thanks anyway Jeremy. The problem is the light was flat and it is difficult to increase contrast without the blacks and whites going over the top. I already increased the contrast somewhat and doing more just turns the whites into blobs of white. By and large, I seldom try to change a scene unless my aim is interpretive, like the green water scene. In other words, I learn to live without the contrast and come back another day.

JMR

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 11:45:48 am »

John,

I like the 2nd one in the original group more and mostly agree with Mike that it might be worth a try to crop all but a little of the opposite shoreline. The thought is to give the viewer just enough context to help the viewer understand what they are seeing, without giving more than a minimal amount. Don't know if it will work well that way but just to express the thought.

John R

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 01:33:10 pm »

Quote from: Justan
John,

I like the 2nd one in the original group more and mostly agree with Mike that it might be worth a try to crop all but a little of the opposite shoreline. The thought is to give the viewer just enough context to help the viewer understand what they are seeing, without giving more than a minimal amount. Don't know if it will work well that way but just to express the thought.
Thanks for the comments Justan. I already have a more impressionist version of the scene, which actually looks like a crop of the same scene without the trees. As I said at the outset, I worked the scene and have many fine images from my trip, and memories of very cold toes to boot! However, in this version I wanted to show the background with the river and give the scene more context. From my point of view, the image can be cropped many ways. But I agree with your suggestion, it can be turned into a nice impressionist crop.

JMR
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 01:37:15 pm by John R »

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 10:23:35 am »

Thanks for the explanation. It’s a good snap and a benefit of that is that there are a number of ways it can be taken.

John R

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 12:59:43 pm »

Thanks for the explanation. It’s a good snap and a benefit of that is that there are a number of ways it can be taken.
While we are at it, does anyone know how to get rid of fringe colour that appears around the some of the white snow covered ice floes. See the top left, enlarge, and see a very large purple fringe around the snow mound. Of course I could always convert to BW if I can't get rid of the purple fringe.

JMR
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 08:31:51 am by John R »

Joe Behar

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 01:15:50 pm »

While we are at it, does anyone know how to get rid of fringe colour that appears around the some of the white snow covered ince floes. See the top left, enlarge and there is a very large purple fringe around the snow mound. Of course I could always convert to BW if I can't get rid of the purple fringe.

JMR

John,

C1 pro has a really, really good purple fringing tool.

You can download a trial version here

http://xchange.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/CO5.aspx

John R

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 01:16:59 pm »

Quote from: Joe Behar
John,

C1 pro has a really, really good purple fringing tool.

You can download a trial version here

http://xchange.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/CO5.aspx
Hey, many thanks!

JMR

DarkPenguin

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 01:32:28 am »

While we are at it, does anyone know how to get rid of fringe colour that appears around the some of the white snow covered ince floes. See the top left, enlarge and there is a very large purple fringe around the snow mound. Of course I could always convert to BW if I can't get rid of the purple fringe.

JMR

If you're using LR or ACR you could try turning on defringe.  Raw shooter used to be wonderful at this.  I don't think LR is quite as good.

The old fuji f10 was a purple fringing monster.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 08:36:49 am »

I've done blue fringe removal it in a painfully slow way before using color replacement in PS. After reading your comment I spent a little time doing research and came across some articles on the topic:

http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/photograph...hotoshop-t5895/

http://www.symbian-freak.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9933

http://www.photos-of-the-year.com/articles/adobe-raw/
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 08:37:36 am by Justan »

John R

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 08:53:26 am »

I've done blue fringe removal it in a painfully slow way before using color replacement in PS. After reading your comment I spent a little time doing research and came across some articles on the topic:

http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/photograph...hotoshop-t5895/

http://www.symbian-freak.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9933

http://www.photos-of-the-year.com/articles/adobe-raw/
Thanks Dark Penguin and Justan. Really appreciate it. I didn't realize it could be so bad. It might the problem is accentuated with white subjects and blue light (overcast), but I am not sure. Haven't noticed anything like this before.

JMR

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 09:36:56 am »

Thanks Dark Penguin and Justan. Really appreciate it. I didn't realize it could be so bad. It might the problem is accentuated with white subjects and blue light (overcast), but I am not sure. Haven't noticed anything like this before.

JMR

It can occur any time there is a radical transition from a bright item to a darker one, or vice versa. Sometimes it is so glaring that it can’t be ignored but most don’t notice it unless they look closely. In one of the examples in the links I provided its illustrated in a shot looking up at the underside of some tree branches.

A different phenomena but with similar results occurs when shooting various forest trail scenes. In this kind of instance the camera picks up strong purpleish/lavenderish/pinkish colors. (I don’t know the words for the colors but will point out an example in a moment.) The camera picks it up in a far more prevalent way than what the eye sees. It isn’t exactly flair but does create an off color fringe.

Examples of this are in the first color image of this thread. Note the edges of some of trees in the distant shore and some of the transitions between dirt and snow. Those colors. Most may never notice it unless it’s pointed out. I shoot a lot along the trail and there it is a frequently recurring phenomena.

Peter_DL

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 12:49:30 pm »

Referring to above second image, I find it hard to accept that water could appear so green, at winter times without plant green around.
Just to provide an impression, I've been trying to move the greens towards cyan/blue. Also the background was de-saturated.
I'm sorry if it does not meet your vision anymore. It's just what came in my mind when thinking about "cold river winter".

Peter

--
[attachment=19258:Dec_30_0...reencopy.jpg][attachment=19257:green_to_blue.jpg]

Joe Behar

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 12:56:57 pm »

Quote from: DPL
Referring to above second image, I find it hard to accept that water could appear so green, at winter times without plant green around.
Just to provide an impression, I've been trying to move the greens towards cyan/blue. Also the background was de-saturated.
I'm sorry if it does not meet your vision anymore. It's just what came in my mind when thinking about "cold river winter".

Peter

Peter,

I spend a lot of time in that area with flyrod and camera in hand and I will vouch that the water can indeed have that green colour, even in winter. The credit River is very rich in plant and animal life and supports a very healthy trout population.

In either case, I'd love to see a series of images with the water manipulated to varying shades of green, blue, cyan and even more garish colurs. I think it would make an interesting collage type images. Think Andy Worhol and various colours of Marilyn Monroe.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up