Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: paper for business cards?  (Read 3616 times)

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
paper for business cards?
« on: January 02, 2010, 10:07:58 pm »

I have an Epson 3800 printer and I'm looking for some paper to print business cards on.  

Ideally, I'd like gloss on one side and a printable, but not necessarily coated back side.  I don't want precut cards as I will use a paper cutter to cut them to size.

Color accuracy and permanence are not very important

Any suggestions?  I tried google, but it wasn't that helpful...

Thanks!
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 10:22:07 pm »

Quote from: smthopr
I have an Epson 3800 printer and I'm looking for some paper to print business cards on.  

Ideally, I'd like gloss on one side and a printable, but not necessarily coated back side.  I don't want precut cards as I will use a paper cutter to cut them to size.

Color accuracy and permanence are not very important

Any suggestions?  I tried google, but it wasn't that helpful...

Thanks!

I'm not aware of any glossy papers that are printable two sides. You used to be able to get Lumijet Glossy Two Sides but it's discontinued. If you're willing to go the matte route there are a few more possiblities:

Hahnemuhle Natural Art Duo (256gsm), warm tone, smooth texture
Moab Entrada Rag Bright or Natural (190 or 300gsm), light texture

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

smthopr

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 11:55:21 pm »

Quote from: neile
I'm not aware of any glossy papers that are printable two sides. You used to be able to get Lumijet Glossy Two Sides but it's discontinued. If you're willing to go the matte route there are a few more possiblities:

Hahnemuhle Natural Art Duo (256gsm), warm tone, smooth texture
Moab Entrada Rag Bright or Natural (190 or 300gsm), light texture

Neil

Thanks Neil,

I really want the glossy so that I don't have to switch to matte ink in the printer, but I don't need glossy on both sides, just one.  The paper need not have a fine art look and feel, but it should be stiff enough to use as a business card.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

JBerardi

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 12:12:53 am »

Inkpress makes some two-sided glossy and luster papers.

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 12:24:28 am »

For a recent portfolio review I made "leave behind" cards printed with my Epson 3800 on Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk. This paper is thick (~320 gsm) and smooth, with an almost indiscernible stipple on its warm, glossy surface.

This paper would make lovely bizcards, albeit expensive ones. Essentially, my 6x6 inch leave-behinds were supersized biz cards.

Harman Glossy FB Al is smoother and glossier, and even more expensive, as I recall.    

Oops, I just reread your post and see you need paper printable on both sides. Scratch the two I mentioned. You may have a hard time finding double-sided glossy paper, since glossy finishes wouldn't likely survive then trauma of being the backside of a sheet as it passes thru the printer.
michael sebast

AaronPhotog

• Dygart Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 03:01:33 am »

Actually, Red River Paper has a double-sided glossy paper, 64 lb., and a 60 lb. double-siede matte paper.  I've used the latter for greeting cards, and the results are excellent.
As far as scratching, Red River has a .pdf file on their web site that explains exactly how to handle the glossy paper to avoid scuffing.  I'd say they got it right.

Good luck, and Happy New Year,

Aaron
Aaron Dygart,
Honolulu

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 03:13:03 am »

I was going to suggest Red River also. They have a number of two-sided options. You can call them and talk with them about options.

Some people like to use a laser printer to print one side and then do the "photo" side on the ink jet printer, so you might consider that as an option too. This will change your list of paper options.

BobShram

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 08:08:50 am »

I have made cards with gloss and luster type papers with a photo on them, but have gone to Matte paper because the gloss papers scratch and wear much faster, just by rubbing against each other. If you go gloss try and keep away from to much black on the print.

Gemmtech

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 01:27:40 pm »

Quote from: DFAllyn
I was going to suggest Red River also. They have a number of two-sided options. You can call them and talk with them about options.

Some people like to use a laser printer to print one side and then do the "photo" side on the ink jet printer, so you might consider that as an option too. This will change your list of paper options.

DUH,  Isn't this idea so damn simple?  Why didn't I think of this before?  AARG      Thanks for the idea, it worked out great for me.  
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:28:08 pm by Gemmtech »

smthopr

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 09:46:26 pm »

Quote from: DFAllyn

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will give Red River a call on Monday.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

photomike

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 11:50:31 am »

I print my b cards on matte paper and then run them through the laminator.  People are blown away by the look and feel.  If you want you could print on the back as well, I don't as it is too much work.

smthopr

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 12:04:56 am »

Quote from: smthopr
Thanks for the suggestions.  I will give Red River a call on Monday.

I called Red River and they don't have a thick glossy that works with pigment inks...

Laminating would look great...but I'd like people to be able to note on the back where they met me

So...I took a trip to Samys Camera today to plow through their sample books of inkjet paper and the winner is:  Well, the best choice was the Ilford Fiber Gold...but it cost $1.80 per 8.5x11 sheet!

Second best is the inkpress fiber gloss at $1.00/sheet.  It's not quite as stiff as the Ilford, but almost 1/2 the price so I'm going to give this a try.  Even though it's a "fiber" paper, it seems to have the look of a resin coated paper, but that should be ok for the cards, and I can write on the back because it's not resin coated.

Thanks for all the replies.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up