Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import Backup Filenames.  (Read 2220 times)

reyn_two

Import Backup Filenames.
« on: January 02, 2010, 04:42:04 am »

What's the reason why when I import as Original Raw and rename the files it saves the backup with the original file name but when I import and copy as Dng whilst renaming the files it saves the backup with the renamed file names?

Does LR3 allow saving the backup to a user designated directory structure or the same "Imported on date" directory.
Thank you for your help.

Frank

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Import Backup Filenames.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 08:50:06 am »

Frank,

In LR2, when I select "Copy photos to new location and add to Catalog," and then select the "Backup to:" check-box, it DOES change the file name for both the new destination file and the backed up file as well, so I'm not sure I understand your situation.  I'm on a mac, not that that should matter.

LR3b no longer creates the "Imported on date..." structure.  You pick the folder you want.  For some reason this area of LR is somewhat difficult for me.  I really need to pay attention to how I'm setting my import presets in LR3.  I've imported images to unintended places several times already.

Dave

reyn_two

Import Backup Filenames.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 01:32:00 pm »

Quote from: dchew
Frank,

In LR2, when I select "Copy photos to new location and add to Catalog," and then select the "Backup to:" check-box, it DOES change the file name for both the new destination file and the backed up file as well, so I'm not sure I understand your situation.  I'm on a mac, not that that should matter.

LR3b no longer creates the "Imported on date..." structure.  You pick the folder you want.  For some reason this area of LR is somewhat difficult for me.  I really need to pay attention to how I'm setting my import presets in LR3.  I've imported images to unintended places several times already.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I have confused myself somehow! I have just started organising my photo's after watching the LL videos on Lightroom and Where are my Pictures, I have set up some test directories and have been making directory structures and trying out different file names to see what I like best. Somewhere in all this I was sure the raw files I imported and renamed backed up to my server with the original file names intact, obviously I was confused but I could swear they did. I have just tried it again and you are correct. If I was younger I would feel stupid now I am used to it.

I think I will have to download LR3 beta to have a look at this area it may make some difference to what I end up doing.

Thanks
Frank

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Import Backup Filenames.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 02:50:02 pm »

Quote from: reyn_two
Thanks Dave, I have confused myself somehow! I have just started organising my photo's after watching the LL videos on Lightroom and Where are my Pictures, I have set up some test directories and have been making directory structures and trying out different file names to see what I like best...

Another great resource is thedambook.com.  It's a very good book, and the website has many resources as well.  Check out the "resources" page.

Setting up your structure is a personal decision, but you can avoid many unforeseen pitfalls if you read the book before you get too far.  I've changed mine too many times!

Dave

reyn_two

Import Backup Filenames.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 03:55:14 pm »

Quote from: dchew
Another great resource is thedambook.com.  It's a very good book, and the website has many resources as well.  Check out the "resources" page.

Setting up your structure is a personal decision, but you can avoid many unforeseen pitfalls if you read the book before you get too far.  I've changed mine too many times!

Dave
I received that book just before Christmas, I have also just ordered Seth Resnicks book "The Photoshop Lightroom Workbook: Workflow not Workslow in Lightroom 2".
I only take pictures for myself so I want to keep things simple or perhaps I need to keep things simple.
I am tending towards the following structure.

Year
.......month-description

such as:

.......06-Skye
.......05-Cumbria
.......07-Batsford

with file names 20080615_ Skye_0001.dng

I think I will have a local working drive using Dng's with an archive of the original raws using the same directory structure on my server and also a backup of the Dng's on the server again with the same structure, I will sync these with the local drive. The server gets backed up to an external hard drive each night.

With this system I will have the original raws untouched and archived, a local working dng and a mirrored backup dng to retain the meta stuff.
I have been trialling ImageIngester Pro which I can set up to do all this automatically. I just have to import into Lightroom from the local drive, all the dng's are already built.

Frank

Pages: [1]   Go Up