Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: State of Notebooks  (Read 3972 times)

vgogolak

• http://
State of Notebooks
« on: December 31, 2009, 09:55:26 am »

Michael raised the issue of notebooks and dearth of FW outlets - he went to a japanese UMPC (one o' dem 7-8" screen jobbies) and the new cd card with FW.
What's happening now?
Are Samsung or Lenovo etc at least providing cardbus slots?
Is there any real alternative to the Ko__________ whatever (can't even find the link, much less the product any more.)

With Live view on my P65+ I would really like a small tether device.

Though it time to revisit the issue.

regards
Victor
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 09:56:07 am by vgogolak »

CBarrett

State of Notebooks
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 10:14:22 am »

I briefly had a vision of an Apple Tablet to tether to that could mount to an articulating arm clamped to my tripod, sort of the way Video shooters have all these external lcd solutions, some of them hot shoe mounting.

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
State of Notebooks
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 10:46:54 am »

Funny, yesterday I mentioned the rumored iTablet on the P1 forum. I'm really looking forward to this.
View camera users would really love something like that on location.

But will it be fast enough (at least like a netbook)
Will it have Firewire or a PCMCIA slot

Otherwise, there a few expensive <12" notebooks (not netbooks)
I use a small 12" no-name brand (around 1000 € then) with awful screen, but it's doing the job

Tom-

(2010 is Photokina year, maybe the MF screens will get better this time)

CBarrett

State of Notebooks
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 12:01:20 pm »

Of course there's also the ModBook.  Not the fastest thing around but within built-in FW 400 and configurable with 2 HD's kind of interesting...

narikin

State of Notebooks
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 12:46:15 pm »

Quote from: tom_l
Funny, yesterday I mentioned the rumored iTablet on the P1 forum. I'm really looking forward to this.

But will it be fast enough (at least like a netbook)
Will it have Firewire or a PCMCIA slot
don't get your hopes up.
Apple's Slate will be low power (battery life) and is very unikley to have Firewire or an Express Card slot to add f/w.
doubtless Apple will talk up the power of it, but it will not be the same as a powerbook at all.

go for a tablet PC.
Modbook converted mac is good, but the lack of a keyboard makes it hard. plus its pricey, and screen is dim outdoors.
thats why a PC tablet with f/w is best option at present.

DanielStone

State of Notebooks
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 02:06:23 pm »

funny thing....

with all this "iTablet" going around, I remember a few years ago, when I was a junior in high school, I designed a product I dubbed the "iPad", which is essentially what people are calling the "iTablet".

now that I am seeing more of this talk about a tablet mac, I'm just wishing that I had applied for a patent back when I originally thought up the thing .

my teacher(CAD class) thought my idea a dumb one, and he gave me a C for my project, even though my model was the best out of the lot.

MY original design incorporated an OLED screen, approx 8", with Li-Ion battery technology(which was becoming more mainstream in 2004/5), now of course, its in EVERY cell phone. Batteries would be swappable, similar to the prev. generation MBP's, and the tablet had a SSHD with approx 80gb of storage. loaded down with 2-4gb of ram, and running OSX, it had FW400/800, as well as USB slots(3). no cd-drive, to keep weight down, but a separate cd/dvd burner drive could be hooked up via USB, similar to the MB air ones today. dual-core processor(laptop breed) would be in there, with a heat-pipe to the outside world, keeping things happy, and quiet at the same time. There would also JUST be ONE button, dead center under the screen, like the Iphone's have. keeping things simple, that was my motto.

sadly, I didn't get my model back, being that the school had teachers switch rooms, and I turned in my project somewhat late, so school ended, and my model got tossed by the janitorial staff...

oh well, I'm sure apple has thought of something like this, and they might have it ready to launch at the next stockholders meeting, who knows.

maybe I should become a product designer, and offer a 'consulting' business to designers at Cupertino? might be easier than photography, and allow me to pursue that as a passion, rather than a career.

naw..... I'll stick with photography, and do it the other way 'round .

happy 2010 everyone!

-Dan

<EDIT>  the screen also was touch, with a camera incorporated into the top of the screen, like today's mbp's and imacs. only a 2mp one, not the crappy ones they put in today.

prices would start at $1499.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 02:09:55 pm by DanielStone »

PdF

State of Notebooks
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 03:02:26 pm »

PdF

vgogolak

State of Notebooks
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 11:26:55 am »

so bottom line
get the one (or the more recent vesion) of MR's, pay 3-5,000 for a MODBOOK (but really, too BIG!) or wait for Samsung/LG et al to release one

I am astounded that the really neat Lenovo actually HAD cardbus and dropped it in their latest S10-2 series micro-notebooks

I guess we are too small a market.   :-(

Late breaking News  :-)

Tigerdirect still SAYS, and I ordered an S-10 Lenovo WITH expresscard slot. Also a dual FW card.

Total under $400. Rash decision? 1024x800 screen 1GB RAM and 120GB SHOULD run C1 5.01 , yes?

Tigersays "order now till stock depleted" so i guess they have some old stock-called "open box"

as long as it works....

we'll see
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 01:50:44 pm by vgogolak »

narikin

State of Notebooks
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 02:34:21 pm »

Quote from: vgogolak
so bottom line
get the one (or the more recent vesion) of MR's, pay 3-5,000 for a MODBOOK (but really, too BIG!) or wait for Samsung/LG et al to release one

I am astounded that the really neat Lenovo actually HAD cardbus and dropped it in their latest 10-20 series micro-notebooks

I guess we are too small a market.   :-(
what is it you want? - a small light form with bright 8" outdoor screen with a lot of power for capture one/live view, and Firewire? it does not and will not exist.

the answer I found is a Fujitsu tablet PC - they have the same processors as MacPro's in smaller packages, with a convertible form (screen rotates to top)
very powerful - so fast 100% preview/live view - plus they have firewire, a super bright LED indoor/outdoor screen, 4Gb RAM, and the usual options - SSDisk, and a modular bay with changeable extra batteries, DVD or a second high capacity hard drive. Windows 7 works great with SSD's and tablets. Mac OSX is not very good with tablets anyway.

I bought the Fujitsu T5010 - there is a Fujitsu store on Ebay selling them cheap. Got mine there, upgraded it to SSD myself for $200.
the T5010 has a 13.3" screen, but the T4410 is very similar and has a 12" screen if you prefer it a little bit smaller.

narikin

State of Notebooks
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 02:51:48 pm »

Tigerdirect still SAYS, and I ordered an S-10 Lenovo WITH expresscard slot. Also a dual FW card.

Total under $400. Rash decision? 1024x800 screen 1GB RAM and 120GB SHOULD run C1 5.01 , yes?

Tigersays "order now till stock depleted" so i guess they have some old stock-called "open box"
it will be a good machine - I love netbooks - BUT it will be very very slow for what you want - they are seriously underpowered for C1 previews/ live view.
keep it and enjoy it, but dont expect it to be fast.
they are great travel/airplane computers, so you have not wasted your money.

the new Netbook processors ('Pine View' - dual core) are out in a week or so. this will help a very small amount.
expect to see HD netbooks, but nothing that will rock our world.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 02:58:29 pm by narikin »

vgogolak

State of Notebooks
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 02:56:01 pm »

Quote from: narikin
what is it you want? - a small light form with bright 8" outdoor screen with a lot of power for capture one/live view, and Firewire? it does not and will not exist.

the answer I found is a Fujitsu tablet PC - they have the same processors as MacPro's in smaller packages, with a convertible form (screen rotates to top)
very powerful - so fast 100% preview/live view - plus they have firewire, a super bright LED indoor/outdoor screen, 4Gb RAM, and the usual options - SSDisk, and a modular bay with changeable extra batteries, DVD or a second high capacity hard drive. Windows 7 works great with SSD's and tablets. Mac OSX is not very good with tablets anyway.

I bought the Fujitsu T5010 - there is a Fujitsu store on Ebay selling them cheap. Got mine there, upgraded it to SSD myself for $200.
the T5010 has a 13.3" screen, but the T4410 is very similar and has a 12" screen if you prefer it a little bit smaller.

well  at 4#13 oz about 2x the wt of lenovo

I can add 2GB, get almost same resoltution (outdoor screen not critical) and do not need optical drive. AT $400 seems a deal. (For other than FW, I find the X300 I have plus 2 500GB USB drives are fine for european shoots w/o live view)

T5010 looks like a fine machine though.

BTW, I have added a 6-pin FW expresscard. The T5010 has 4-pin...will that work tethered on P65+?

narikin

State of Notebooks
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 03:40:41 pm »

BTW, I have added a 6-pin FW expresscard. The T5010 has 4-pin...will that work tethered on P65+?

yes 4 pin works, but using backs own power - not laptop
it has a card slot, so if you want to add a 6pin card you could.

good luck. I own a netbook too, but need something much faster/ powerful for outdoor location work.

narikin

State of Notebooks
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 01:09:08 pm »

this looks interesting, pretty much what the iSlate will be, with, alas, no Firewire or chance to add one.
until we get Wi-Fi on the backs we are not going to be able to use this new generation of Tablets

http://haleron.com/index.php?page=shop.pro...1&Itemid=27
Pages: [1]   Go Up