Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon, Nikon Fashion/Portrait shootout  (Read 9932 times)

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
Canon, Nikon Fashion/Portrait shootout
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 07:37:41 am »

Quote from: Nick Walker
Ted,

Feedback sent via LL E-mail service.

Thanks Nick!
Ted Dillard

teddillard

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 07:56:11 am »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

Thanks for the test, but...

To me this way of testing has a lot of issues.

1) Having a live subject it is very hard to compare between images
2) A lot of discussion about color rendition but how much of that is just a white balance issue? Why not shoot a Whibal or Color Checker Passport.
3) Lot of discussion about sharpening, but D300s image is very soft, is it incorrectly focused or is "uprezzed"?
4) How we do now that proper focus has been achieved?
5) If we discuss sharpening I'd suggest that as much sharpening is done in ACR as possible as capture sharpening in ACR is quite advanced and "unsharp mask" is quite crude.
6) I cannot see the banding in the Nikon samples? Can anyone else?
7) In a sense I don't understand the discussion related to the crop factor. You would choose lenses for the camera not the other way around. Some normal zooms like the 16-85 Nikkor have a better range than a 24-70 on full frame, having one lens instead of two can be nice, of course.

I'm most thankful for all published tests, and my opinion on this test may be a bit harsh, but the idea is that this would be a professional review site so I guess that they would take some criticism.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks Erik, and yes, I have no problem taking criticism...  

I think it's important to point out that this is not intended as a complete "review" in any sense...  it's a different slant on evaluating the cameras, and this along with all the other info out there, including our own lab testing, should give you a better picture.  Of the cameras.  Ouch.  Too early in the AM for bad puns...    

Yes, certainly a live subject makes comparison difficult- see my comments earlier- I think the thing to do next time would be to cut the cameras down to a smaller group- but we had them all available, it was hard to hold back.  

The WB was set to daylight on all the cameras.  The point was to see what they do, at this default, by themselves... and how different processors handle that setting.  See above, again, for my take on the processing issues involved, and the idea of processing for best effect etc...  same comments on the sharpening.  However, processing all the files from all the cameras, I did find it was just difficult, if not impossible, to get them all to look 100% identical (and I do know my way around ACR and all...)  It's not just WB, it's the mapping of the colors around that WB, too.  All of them.  

As far as the focus goes, no, you really have no way to check my focus- I guess you gotta just trust me.    But, again, we do intensive resolution tests using LensAlign in the other review areas on the site.

Don't know what to say on the banding, maybe a web/screen issue, but it's definitely there...  

On the lens factor, I really don't understand the comments here, I maybe need another cuppa and to reread them.  Maybe I didn't state it well in the story, but here's what actually happened.  I shot the model with the smaller chips, got a nice tele effect that I liked.  When I switched to the bigger chip, I couldn't get that effect without switching lenses.  If I'd switched lenses, I'd have had a slower lens, it would have been bigger, like that.  

In the case of the shoot, it was more important to keep the same lens, since we wanted to compare resolution to some degree, you know what I mean...  The smaller, faster lens gave me the visual effect I wanted.  Same thing you get when shooting 35mm/120/4x5 film.  To the extreme, shooting a 200mm lens with 4x5 film doesn't give you that great tele of 35mm with 200, and to move to the same effect with the larger format, you're sure not going get f4.

Your comment: "You would choose lenses for the camera not the other way around.", actually, that's the point.  If you like shooting short tele, then you may want to consider choosing the camera with the smaller sensor as a start.

It's really a simple point...  if you're looking for a short tele effect, (or macro), you get closer out of the gate with the smaller chip.  

Thanks again, to all, for the discussion.  It's a great help.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:10:01 am by teddillard »
Ted Dillard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 08:42:53 am »

Hi,

Thanks for your comments on my comments...

I'm not personally engaged in this as I'm shooting Sony, so I'm without an axe to grind.

Regarding the color issue it's an advantage for Nikon that their cameras are similar.

On the 100% crops the Nikon 300D image looks very soft. On Canon side it mat be the 5DII which seems softest. I tried to look again and I'm still finding those pictures a lot softer than acceptable, it may just be that I'm used to have more sharpening.

My point 7) was actually a bit of rant. The "crop factor" used to be seen as a disadvantage for APS-C cameras, because wide angle lenses are no longer wide. My view is that one should have the proper lenses for each format.

On the other hand I have a 16-80/3.5-4.5 for my Sony Alpha 700. The Alpha 900 with the hefty 24-70/2.8 is almost the double weight, but little more than half the reach. So there is definitively a point in using APS-C when the bigger format is not needed.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: teddillard
Thanks Erik, and yes, I have no problem taking criticism...  

I think it's important to point out that this is not intended as a complete "review" in any sense...  it's a different slant on evaluating the cameras, and this along with all the other info out there, including our own lab testing, should give you a better picture.  Of the cameras.  Ouch.  Too early in the AM for bad puns...    

Yes, certainly a live subject makes comparison difficult- see my comments earlier- I think the thing to do next time would be to cut the cameras down to a smaller group- but we had them all available, it was hard to hold back.  

The WB was set to daylight on all the cameras.  The point was to see what they do, at this default, by themselves... and how different processors handle that setting.  See above, again, for my take on the processing issues involved, and the idea of processing for best effect etc...  same comments on the sharpening.  However, processing all the files from all the cameras, I did find it was just difficult, if not impossible, to get them all to look 100% identical (and I do know my way around ACR and all...)  It's not just WB, it's the mapping of the colors around that WB, too.  All of them.  

As far as the focus goes, no, you really have no way to check my focus- I guess you gotta just trust me.    But, again, we do intensive resolution tests using LensAlign in the other review areas on the site.

Don't know what to say on the banding, maybe a web/screen issue, but it's definitely there...  

On the lens factor, I really don't understand the comments here, I maybe need another cuppa and to reread them.  Maybe I didn't state it well in the story, but here's what actually happened.  I shot the model with the smaller chips, got a nice tele effect that I liked.  When I switched to the bigger chip, I couldn't get that effect without switching lenses.  If I'd switched lenses, I'd have had a slower lens, it would have been bigger, like that.  

In the case of the shoot, it was more important to keep the same lens, since we wanted to compare resolution to some degree, you know what I mean...  The smaller, faster lens gave me the visual effect I wanted.  Same thing you get when shooting 35mm/120/4x5 film.  To the extreme, shooting a 200mm lens with 4x5 film doesn't give you that great tele of 35mm with 200, and to move to the same effect with the larger format, you're sure not going get f4.

Your comment: "You would choose lenses for the camera not the other way around.", actually, that's the point.  If you like shooting short tele, then you may want to consider choosing the camera with the smaller sensor as a start.

It's really a simple point...  if you're looking for a short tele effect, (or macro), you get closer out of the gate with the smaller chip.  

Thanks again, to all, for the discussion.  It's a great help.
Erik Kaffehr

teddillard

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 08:53:48 am »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

Thanks for your comments on my comments...

and thanks for your comments on my comments on your comments...  (hoo boy, I can see how THIS day is gonna go...    )

This sensor size issue has been a bone of contention to me for quite a while now, actually.  We were shooting a large group and needed everything sharp. Depth of field was the main concern, not resolution, and the friend I was working with initially wanted to rent a MFDB to shoot it.  I convinced him the smaller sensor would be a better fit for the job, since he'd get better DOF out of the same aperture, for the same lens focal length effect.  Where it seems like a lot of photographers feel that full 35mm frame sensors are just the only thing to use, my take has always been to use the right tool for the job- my conclusion in both these shootout stories.  

Here's that "Shoot Diary" story:
http://www.h2hreviews.com/blog/The-Shoot-D...3X.html?catId=2
Ted Dillard
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up