Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 driver for Windows 7 64 bit  (Read 10117 times)

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
Z3100 driver for Windows 7 64 bit
« on: December 29, 2009, 10:46:23 pm »

I migrated to Windows 7 (C;ean install) from Vista 64 and all looked to be OK until I tried to print to my Z3100.  I got a "wrong file type" error on the printer.  I looked at the installed printer driver and it was the HP GL/2 driver and I have the basic Z3100.  I remembered when I was intstalling Windows 7 and it was installing the drivers for the connected components it did somehow select and install the HP GL/2 driver.  I tried to remove that printer from the control panel and then install the Vista 64 driver and I get an error message and the install aborts.  If I disconnect the USB cable and then reconnect Windows reinstalls the Hp GL/2 driver.  Any way to clean up this mess and get the correct driver installed.  A lot of work to print and I hate to go back to Vista.

robertDthomas

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 09:53:32 am »

I have read through a number of posts indicating that the Vista 64 drivers have worked with Z3100 users running Win 7 64.  I think my problem is my inability to completely remove the hp gl/2 driver before trying to install the Vista driver for the basic Z3200 printer.  I keep getting an install error.  I have removed the printer from the printers page then deleted the HPz3100 directory from the Programs x36 folder and still I get the error on installation.  Is there a better way to scrup the files for a clean install of the proper driver?

ltphoto

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 06:07:42 pm »

I don't think you will be able to make this work. I have not been able to get the Z3100 driver installed in Windows 7. I have tried the both Vista 32 and 64 bit drivers. It appears to be incompatible.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 04:22:46 am »

As listed on the HP schedule the Windows 7 driver for the Z3100 should be available in June 2010.
http://bit.ly/4Q8Bw6

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 11:06:41 am »

I use Win7 64 bit, installed the Vista 64bit drivers, works fine. I have a PS model, perhaps the drivers for that are more compatible than the GL/2 ... also, if HP are reading this, JUNE 2010 is a JOKE!

ibarron

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 04:01:34 pm »

I'm using win 7 64bit. I couldn't get the z3100 drivers to install via the install script ... but ... unpacking them then using the windows 'add a printer' and pointing to the install files worked perfectly :-)
HP preview and APS doesn't work but the driver works.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

- Ian

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 04:49:13 pm »

Quote from: ibarron
I'm using win 7 64bit. I couldn't get the z3100 drivers to install via the install script ... but ... unpacking them then using the windows 'add a printer' and pointing to the install files worked perfectly :-)
HP preview and APS doesn't work but the driver works.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

- Ian

Re: APS is this because it can't register?? - This is quite an easy fix as APS uses a licence key that can be copied over from a previous activation in XP.

The key is located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\HP-APS (This is a hidden folder so you will need to 'show hidden files and folders' option)
- Inside this folder is 'registration.key'
- In Windows 7 dump that file into C:\ProgramData\HP-APS - (Again hidden folder - if the HP-APS folder doesn't exsist, create it.)
- Enjoy APS!

The above assumes C:\ as system drive in both XP and Win7, but if they are different or you have dual booted that use correct drive letters as appropriate.

My APS works perfect.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:50:25 pm by ThePhotoDude »

ibarron

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 03:06:52 am »

Quote from: ThePhotoDude
Re: APS is this because it can't register?? - This is quite an easy fix as APS uses a licence key that can be copied over from a previous activation in XP.

The key is located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\HP-APS (This is a hidden folder so you will need to 'show hidden files and folders' option)
- Inside this folder is 'registration.key'
- In Windows 7 dump that file into C:\ProgramData\HP-APS - (Again hidden folder - if the HP-APS folder doesn't exsist, create it.)
- Enjoy APS!

The above assumes C:\ as system drive in both XP and Win7, but if they are different or you have dual booted that use correct drive letters as appropriate.

My APS works perfect.

Nice fix - thanks :-)

robertDthomas

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 02:43:31 pm »

Thanks for the additional tips.  I will try the unpack and point method tonight.  I know where the files are as I would delete the HP Z3100 printer directory after each failed install and then try again.  What do they say insanity is? "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."  Well the results of trying to do the install of the Vista 64 driver for the standard Z3100 printer has always yielded the same result of a quick flash of an error messge and then something like "install aborted"  What I can't seem to do is remove the GL driver.  I delete the Z3100/GL printer from the printers and disconnect the USB cable then try the install (which always bombs (either with the USB plugged in or not) and then when I reboot or plug in the cable the GL driver is automatically installed by windows and I get the message your printer is ready to use.  Problem is it is not as the GL files must be formatted differently and if I try to print with that driver I get a "wrong file format - press OK to continue" on the printer display.  I hope this unpack on point to the install files will work (which file is it- well I will try and find the right on) I am about to go back to Vista as my workload is piling up.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 03:03:27 pm »

If that doesn't work do you have an old PC that you could network to to use as a print server?

I should note that I've not done this myself, but may be in a similar boat as I will be building a Win7 machine myself shortly to take the plce of my Vista PC (that I'll keep but move elsewhere).  If this is not a fix (unpacking the driver), then I do have an old XP machine I could use, or I'll have to stick with my old Vista machine.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 03:04:14 pm by mcbroomf »

robertDthomas

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 09:54:40 pm »

Thanks to all for their suggestions and encouragement but the prize suggestion was made by iBarron.  Worked like a charm.  

I again went to the printers folder and deleted the Hp Z3100/GL driver.  I did not reboot but selected install new printer selected Have Disk.  I then proceeded to go where the HP Files had unpacked and remained after the last failed attempt to install at: C:\Program Files (x86)\HPDesignjetZ3100PhotoSeries\Drivers\x64(64 bit - XP_S2003_Vista\pcl3winxp_x64 and it selected the correct file (I thnik it was the hpi310xs - setup information file) then clicked install and followed the prompts.  I saw that the driver was in the printers listing and this time not the /GL driver.  I tried to print from Qimage but got and error in the printer dialog saying the printer was not communicating.  I then rebooted and got the message "installing driver"  I feared the reinstall of the /gl driver but after a minute or so I checked the printers listing and the correct driver was there and then ran off some prints fine from Qimage.  SO I am feeling better and back in business.

walter.sk

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 09:42:20 pm »

I am completely dumbfounded!  I upgraded to Windows 7 64bit, and read all of the threads about reinstalling the Z3100.  I have the Z3100ps GP 24", hooked up through the ethernet connection.  My printer did not appear in Devices & Printers, and the Printer Utility could not find any Designjets.  I uninstalled all the HP software, and managed to get HP-APS up and running by finding the registry key from XP and installing it in Win7 as shown in this and other threads.

I got HP-APS to recognize my i1Display2, but it would not find the printer (even prior to my uninstalling the software.)

I downloaded and tried to install the Vista 64 raster driver, but kept ending up with the message "driver installation failed."  I tried it from the other end, Add New Printer.  The install program was able to see my Z3100, but the installation of the driver failed the same way.  

I am able to address my printer through the 192.168.0.x address in my browser, verifying that Win7 64bit is compatible with my router.  I can get reports of ink levels, change the printer default settings, etc.  But I still can't install the printer!

Maybe I'm missing something, but for those of you who succeeded, what I need is a detailed set of steps to follow.  I really need to get at the printer soon.

What sounded promising was finding this folder:  C:\Program Files(X86)\HPDesignjetZ3100psPhotoseries\drivers\64bit-xp-s2003-vista\PCL3winxp-64, but I don't know what to do with it, what to do before getting there, and what to do after.

I am so angry at HP for not having a Win7 64-bit driver until June!  For me, shelling out the $4500 bucks for the printer was an investment I would not have made if I knew that HP, some 3 years later, would call this printer a "legacy" printer and not upgrade the drivers even before Win7 hit the newsstands!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:49:34 pm by walter.sk »

walter.sk

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 02:22:11 pm »

Wahoo!

After another 10 or so attempts at reinstalling my Z3100, it happened!  Here's how:

Even rebooting the printer didn't help.  But I got the brilliant ide of unplugging the ethernet cable and plugging it back into the printer, while the printer was on.  Then, in the Devices & Printers panel (in Control Panel) I went to Add a Printer.  That progressed down to another dialogue box that had printer mfr's on the left, and the models on the right.  Needless to say, there was no Designjet Z3100 when I clicked on HP.  However, I clicked on Have Disk, and negotiated to the folder where my PCL3aWinXP-x64 folder had unpacked, and windows 7 recognized the driver info file and installed it. The HP Printer Utility works with it, and I will try printing from Qimage.

I am still p'd off at HP.  Every few days I get the email from them saying they have new information for me because of my account, but none of it ever points to something about the Z3100 drivers, firmware or anything else useful.

Seems to me that if I was able to find out how to install the printer on Win7 64, HP could also have done that and posted a "workaround" given that they have not yet written a new driver for the printer.

Wotta way to do business!

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
Re: Z3100 driver for Windows 7 64 bit
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 09:50:03 pm »

Walter,

I'm resurrecting this ancient thread because your post just solved the failed driver issue I was having in the XP to Win 7 update. Three years later and I finally decided to give up on XP as Microsoft will finally quit doing any security upgrades next April. I figured it was time. Unplugging the network cable and plugging it back in and then doing the "Have Disk" option which I had tried two times before without success. I was getting worried...

Thanks!
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.
Pages: [1]   Go Up