Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keepig the camera still when the wind blows  (Read 1474 times)

dreed

Keepig the camera still when the wind blows
« on: December 29, 2009, 09:55:43 am »

In various circumstances, shooting with a tripod is required and I often have one handy "just in case."

This works well most of the time but I ran into a situation tonight that was frustrating and I'm curious to know what others do.

The problem was wind. Not a strong wind, but just enough to make the camera move a little. When said camera is connected to a long lens, the tripod seems to become a pivot, rather than an anchor. For long exposure shots (> 1 second), this became troublesome. Because of the cross section of the lens, I'm not convinced that using a more steady tripod will work: the lens is still liable to get knocked around a bit. But what do others do to combat this?

Some alternatives that came to mind are:
* use your body as a wind breaker and stand upwind from the camera after lining it up and use cable release;
* keep a piece of equipment handy that can be used as a wind break - large piece of masonite, plywood, screen, etc;
* bump up the ISO so you can bump up the shuttle speed;
* give up and go home.

My enemy on this occasion was the evening sea breeze and I'm sure it'll be back, if I return, around sunset. Any advice on being "more prepared"?

francois

Keepig the camera still when the wind blows
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 10:04:09 am »

Quote from: dreed
In various circumstances, shooting with a tripod is required and I often have one handy "just in case."

This works well most of the time but I ran into a situation tonight that was frustrating and I'm curious to know what others do.

The problem was wind. Not a strong wind, but just enough to make the camera move a little. When said camera is connected to a long lens, the tripod seems to become a pivot, rather than an anchor. For long exposure shots (> 1 second), this became troublesome. Because of the cross section of the lens, I'm not convinced that using a more steady tripod will work: the lens is still liable to get knocked around a bit. But what do others do to combat this?

Some alternatives that came to mind are:
* use your body as a wind breaker and stand upwind from the camera after lining it up and use cable release;
* keep a piece of equipment handy that can be used as a wind break - large piece of masonite, plywood, screen, etc;
* bump up the ISO so you can bump up the shuttle speed;
* give up and go home.

My enemy on this occasion was the evening sea breeze and I'm sure it'll be back, if I return, around sunset. Any advice on being "more prepared"?
I've been using a second tripod and others suggested using a bean bag.
Read this thread ( http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....c=40342&hl= ), you might find some useful information.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up