Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cost per print on eg HP designjet Z3100  (Read 3237 times)

sperera

Cost per print on eg HP designjet Z3100
« on: December 29, 2009, 03:58:59 am »

hi there....whats the cost of say a 20 x 30cm print on glossy paper on this machine? and what about a 1m high print? basically im trying to work out if better to go to a lab or consider printing in house...cost of inks, paper, consumption....surely a lab is cheaper???? maybe not? sorry, you must have all answered this in some other way before....the lab DOES print y stuff perfectly so the 'control it yourself' is not a factor for me.....cost is the ONLY issue here....not quality.
Stephen Perera
www.ulookfierce.com

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 04:31:41 am »

Do a quick search here and you will find many replies to this question. For most of the pros and enthusiest's here the opposite of your request applies. Quality control is the main reason most of us print our own work with cost being a distant second. If you are cosidering setting up your own print workshop and have cost savings as your primary goal,stop right now as you are going down a very slippery slope. I would never want to discourage someone from getting into fine art printmaking. It started for me as a hobby and turned into a business in less then a year. If you have a little money to invest and alot of time,give it a try. It is a great experience.

sperera

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 04:44:15 am »

thanks for your reply, appreciate it....indeed food for thought....
Stephen Perera
www.ulookfierce.com

hsmeets

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 07:26:38 am »

Hi,

I support the ' it's about control '  mantra (and convenience too).

I'm a low volume printer, only for myself and once a while for friends&family. Up to today, from a $$$ point of view, I would have spend less money farming out the printing.

In two years spend:

Printer: 2200 euro's
Paper: 400 euro's
Ink: 600 euro's
Total : 3200 euro's.

I recently bought that ink, so haven't used it yet (as with the paper) but with current 'invested' money and having printed 380 sq.ft. the current cost is at 8 euro per square foot (but that will drop with more printing an no new expenditures on paper and ink).

I quality lab here in the netherlands charges 5 euro's for 1 sq.ft of printing.

But it is the control I have and the convenience of just turning 180 degrees from screen to printer to catch the print which for me it was a no brainer to have a printer myself.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 10:28:56 am by hsmeets »
Cheers,

Huib

Rocco Penny

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 08:30:07 am »

From an economic standpoint if you're measuring by the foot, and doing some close measuring at that,
you'll go backward buying a widebed printer.
Philosophically speaking, do what makes you happy.
It'll take some rolls to get to being decent at reproducing images.
You'll have mistakes, and ink costs.
Then you'll have prints by the pound and who knows what to do with those.
I wouldn't buy one if you want to print a few images an be done.
If you get 30 great prints from a machine, and it cost you in excess of 5k to get em, well you see the progression.
You'll need somewhere to put the machine, somewhere to assemble pieces, somewhere to store prints, well it's just a little overwhelming without all the space.
I'd say get one if cost isn't what's driving your interest.

walter.sk

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 10:19:54 am »

Quote from: Rocco Penny
From an economic standpoint if you're measuring by the foot, and doing some close measuring at that,
you'll go backward buying a widebed printer.
Philosophically speaking, do what makes you happy.
It'll take some rolls to get to being decent at reproducing images.
You'll have mistakes, and ink costs.
Then you'll have prints by the pound and who knows what to do with those.
I wouldn't buy one if you want to print a few images an be done.
If you get 30 great prints from a machine, and it cost you in excess of 5k to get em, well you see the progression.
You'll need somewhere to put the machine, somewhere to assemble pieces, somewhere to store prints, well it's just a little overwhelming without all the space.
I'd say get one if cost isn't what's driving your interest.
I have a slightly different view.  I have the Z3100, and basically use it for my own fine art printing, with 20x30 or less frequently, 24x36 prints.  The pleasure comes from choosing the paper I want, profiling it, and exhibiting the prints with an occasional sale.

On the other hand, I print some images for other photographers when they need prints up to 24x36, and make enough to pay for the Hahnemuhle fine art papers I like for personal use.

A bonus to all of that comes from  building up my own portfolios of 11x17's, which I print 2-up on HP Premium Satin 24" rolls, which costs me about $1.00 per running foot of paper, and therefore about $.50 per 11x17.  The ink used is also much less expensive per square foot of coverage than what I had been spending with an Epson 1280 on which I previously did the 11x17's.  So the savings on ink and paper for this size print is substantial.

Again, the investment in the printer will take a long time to be recouped, and I certainly considered this an "art-for-art's-sake" expenditure, much like getting a baby grand piano would be.

MrIconoclast

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 06:24:29 pm »

The ink savings on the wide format printers is huge.  I estimate I spend 4x more for ink on my 13 inch Canon printer that I do on the 24 inch HP printer.

There is more to this than just the cost of each print.   I know several people who enjoy wood working.  They can easily buy the furniture they have made for much less than the cost of the tools, wood, etc.   But, they also enjoy making furniture their way, with the features they want and with the dimensions they want.

Ansel Adams once compared photgraphy to music.  If I recall correctly, he said the negative was the score and the print was the performance.  Most people I know enjoy the performance.

howseth

• http://howseth.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 07:48:26 pm »

The question was for cost - not quality. I would say let that lab make your prints if they are doing a great job for you - unless you print extreme volume - your set up , time materials, space needed for printer, profiling, etc - yes, better to outsource.

(As for me - I am a fairly low volume printer. But, unless, I could supervise - in a custom print lab in person - they would not get close enough to what I want in my prints (from costly, painful experience with outsourcing work.) Each of my print files needs test strips and tweaking - and that would cost a lot more and be inconvenient - if I outsourced. I never have the perfect digital file to print seamlessly.

Howard
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 07:49:16 pm by howseth »

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 07:56:08 pm »

generally speaking, ink cost ranges between 35 cents US, to 45 cents US per square foot. Paper costs you can do on your own, depending on media type you are using.

Most people forget that there is a cost to making proof prints, or re-prints. You can keep that to a minimum by using a calibrated display and using soft proofing in your image editor (such as Photoshop).

The thing I like most about inkjet printing is the increased color gamut over chromogenic prints made by most labs.

Hope this helps.

David Saffir
http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor
Pages: [1]   Go Up