Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: small z3100 paper loading mystery  (Read 7149 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
small z3100 paper loading mystery
« on: December 28, 2009, 04:23:59 pm »

When loading a roll of paper the printer asks several questions. I don’t understand what the following one refers to:

“glossy media top edge cut”

Under this there are check boxes for yes or no

What is this for??

Xanthor

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 05:56:09 pm »

Its to tell the printer if you want it to trim the edge of the roll.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 07:59:59 pm »

Quote from: Justan
When loading a roll of paper the printer asks several questions. I don’t understand what the following one refers to:

“glossy media top edge cut”

Under this there are check boxes for yes or no

What is this for??

Under the initial firmware/driver set, the Z3100 would automatically slice off about 4" from the leading edge of a roll of paper every time you loaded it, apparently to minimize the risk of misloading due to a ragged leading edge. Didn't matter if it was a new roll or a roll you were half way through; every load meant you lost another 4" of expensive paper to the automatic cutter. Incredibly annoying.

So this lets you choose to tell the printer to stop that stupidity. It's a good thing.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:04:18 pm »

The only question is why is glossy media any different from other finishes?  If you want shiny strips of paper to wrap your partial rolls of paper with, this is the easy way to get it.  Helps the paper manufacturers stay in business, too.  Not as nice an improvement as being able to advance and rewind media from the control panel, but a nice fix for a peculiar habit the printers were shipped with.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 03:56:29 am »

Quote from: Colorwave
The only question is why is glossy media any different from other finishes?  If you want shiny strips of paper to wrap your partial rolls of paper with, this is the easy way to get it.  Helps the paper manufacturers stay in business, too.  Not as nice an improvement as being able to advance and rewind media from the control panel, but a nice fix for a peculiar habit the printers were shipped with.

The Z3200 gives more options for moving and cutting any paper. I use it when I need identical print sizes right from the start. There's always a small difference left-right on the top margin of the first print when you do not cut that leading edge.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 04:54:30 pm »

Thanks! Mystery solved!

Well, except for the part about “glossy media.” I was working with PRS which they categorize as glossy, so maybe the software was trying to add useful content?

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 05:07:45 pm »

my best guess is that the "glossy media" is, perhaps just a term of use. For example, the cutter on the Z series cannot cut canvas.... so the printer doesn't ask. In any event, you can cut or trim the leading edge for any paper except canvas.

A tip: if using any rag or fabric based media, cut outside the printer rather than use the internal cutter. reduces dust inside and related problems.

David Saffir
David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor
Pages: [1]   Go Up