Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My Photo Selected!  (Read 7533 times)

Ken Luria

• http://
My Photo Selected!
« on: December 27, 2009, 04:24:00 pm »

I received this message today. The photo was "mined" from photos at Flickr.com and I got a message saying it was short-listed and asking if I would agree to have it submitted if selected.

I took the photo on November 17, 2007 while waiting for a train enroute to a family Thanksgiving gathering.

Here is the link: http://www.schmap.com/?m=iphone#uid=losang...1&i=8231_77

Schmap Los Angeles Ninth Edition: Photo Inclusion

Hi Ken,

I am delighted to let you know that your submitted photo
has been selected for inclusion in the newly released ninth
edition of our Schmap Los Angeles Guide.

Thanks so much for letting us include your photo - please
enjoy the guide!

Best regards,

Emma Williams,
Managing Editor, Schmap Guides

This is the photo:
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."

Nikon: D300 • 28-70/2.8 • 70-300VR • 18-200 VR • 12-24/4 • 35/2.0 • Gitzo 1345 • RRS BH-55

Paul Sumi

My Photo Selected!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 07:57:53 pm »

Quote from: Ken Luria
I received this message today. The photo was "mined" from photos at Flickr.com and I got a message saying it was short-listed and asking if I would agree to have it submitted if selected.

If you haven't already decided to let them use your photo, you may want to read this first:

http://www.writingtravel.com/2009/03/to-sc...tographers.html

Paul

tokengirl

My Photo Selected!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 08:24:33 am »

What they're basically doing is asking you to work for free.  And quite frankly, the only thing you get out of doing work for free is requests to do more work for free.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
My Photo Selected!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:26:54 am »

Thought this forum was for adults - deleting my comments in this thread.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 07:23:15 pm by feppe »

Ken Luria

My Photo Selected!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 12:05:03 pm »

Golly gee, I didn't know you all were well known photographers making huge amounts of money for each of your images.....   Your concern for me is touching!

On the other hand, I'm not, and although I have sold a some photos and coffee-table books, I actually don't need to sell anything.

Now one of my photos is being used by a company with national and possibly international exposure. Do you know what I expect?

Nothing. Just the "bragging rights" that one of my shots was selected from thousands, without me knowing it. That's terrific.

I want to go down in history as that "photographer schmuck" that became famous and never got money for one of his photos.

Nikon: D300 • 28-70/2.8 • 70-300VR • 18-200 VR • 12-24/4 • 35/2.0 • Gitzo 1345 • RRS BH-55

Paul Sumi

My Photo Selected!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 12:27:16 pm »

Now one of my photos is being used by a company with national and possibly international exposure. Do you know what I expect?

Nothing. Just the "bragging rights" that one of my shots was selected from thousands, without me knowing it. That's terrific.

Obviously, what you do with your images is your own choice.  The point I wanted to make is that it should be an INFORMED choice.  If you still want to give it away, at least know what you're giving away.  I may be wrong but I would guess you'd feel differently if a national advertiser used your images in a television ad without compensating you.

And while we're talking about giving it away (and this is not directed specifically at you, Ken), why not do some good and donate photography services to one of your favorite local charities or non-profits?  That's the kind of giveaway I can get behind.

Paul
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 01:18:15 pm by Paul Sumi »

ChrisJR

My Photo Selected!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 01:20:52 pm »

I've had a couple of my photos published in the Schmap guides to cities I've lived in. I make reasonable money from photography but not from landscape type photos at all. I take some landscape pictures but they're just for fun really and can help direct people to my website to look at the other services I offer (primarily weddings, interiors and portraits).

Ken Luria

My Photo Selected!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 01:35:06 pm »

Quote from: Paul Sumi
Obviously, what you do with your images is your own choice.  The point I wanted to make is that it should be an INFORMED choice.  If you still want to give it away, at least know what you're giving away.  I may be wrong but I would guess you'd feel differently if a national advertiser used your images in a television ad without compensating you.

And while we're talking about giving it away (and this is not directed specifically at you, Ken), why not do some good and donate photography services to one of your favorite local charities or non-profits?  That's the kind of giveaway I can get behind.

Paul

Paul I am very well informed. I know all about my rights concerning my photos.

Much ado about nothing! If someone wants to take one of my 800 pixel-wide photos on Flickr and make money with it, then go ahead!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 01:35:24 pm by Ken Luria »

DarkPenguin

My Photo Selected!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 03:15:05 pm »

Paul I am very well informed. I know all about my rights concerning my photos.

Much ado about nothing! If someone wants to take one of my 800 pixel-wide photos on Flickr and make money with it, then go ahead!

Fair enough.  So the value of all web sized images is $0.00.  Someone alert istock.

Ken Luria

My Photo Selected!
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 06:16:29 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
Fair enough.  So the value of all web sized images is $0.00.  Someone alert istock.

You seem like the kind of poster that just has to have the last word.

You just have to keep at someone to provoke a response.

You probably don't see yourself as a jerk. You rationalize it.

Now, tell me again about what I should know about my rights.

Tell me again what you think, even though I have made it as clear
as I can that I'm not interested in anything you have to say.

Go ahead and keep this thread going so that those who look
find out this thread was really meant to be a platform for you.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 06:24:49 pm by Ken Luria »

DarkPenguin

My Photo Selected!
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 07:01:14 pm »

Tell me again what you think, even though I have made it as clear
as I can that I'm not interested in anything you have to say.

When did you make this clear?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
My Photo Selected!
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 07:57:55 pm »

...I'm not interested in anything you have to say...
When you post in a public forum, the underlying assumption is that you are interested in what others have to say... unless, of course, you expect others to be speechless in awe by the fact that you got published.

Ken Luria

My Photo Selected!
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 09:47:53 pm »

Quote from: Slobodan Blagojevic
When you post in a public forum, the underlying assumption is that you are interested in what others have to say... unless, of course, you expect others to be speechless in awe by the fact that you got published.

Oh, now you presume to think that I don't know what a public forum is?

It is you that has lost sight of what that means! We all get to say what we think.
It is not a one-way street. You tell me what you think and I then tell you what I think of that, and so on.

So, I'll reiterate, I'm not interested in what he had to say, certainly not after the first time he said it, and his continuing "responses" were argument, not a point of view once given.

Now, I've seen your opinion, and can say I'm not interested in what you have to say either.
This is a photo forum, why don't you show me your work instead of your words
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 09:49:23 pm by Ken Luria »

DarkPenguin

My Photo Selected!
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 10:20:24 pm »

13 posts too many.

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
My Photo Selected!
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 10:25:46 am »

Bottom line is that Schmap makes money off of others' work.  I received the same message from them, and I kindly said, "No thank you."  IMHO if they want it, they'll pay.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
My Photo Selected!
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 05:11:48 pm »

Oh, now you presume to think that I don't know what a public forum is? We all get to say what we think. It is not a one-way street.  You tell me what you think and I then tell you what I think of that, and so on.
I'm not interested in what he had to say...
I'm not interested in what you have to say either...
[attachment=18996:678_Grumpy_Posters.jpg]

Happy holidays Ken! Congrats on getting published and keep up the good work (and joyful spirit) in 2010!  

wirehunt

• Let's go shoot!
    • Lightchasers NZ
My Photo Selected!
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 06:14:12 pm »

Ken, if you don't want peoples opinions then why post a thread?
Chasing the light, what more could you want?

Another BLOG

Rocco Penny

My Photo Selected!
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 11:51:54 am »

I'm a beginner, and certainly entertain fools and experts alike,
I credit you Mr. Luria, on a photograph well composed and beautifully rendered.
So well done in fact you should be proud and excited!
I'm thrilled if even a dang brokedown parochial loser bar patron has a look of awe or wonder at anything, only doubly more if it's a look of awe or inspiration while looking at one of my pieces.
You have every right to be proud.
Man, making dough in the digital imagery racket must be hard

Ken Luria

My Photo Selected!
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 12:21:53 pm »

Quote from: Rocco Penny
I'm a beginner, and certainly entertain fools and experts alike,
I credit you Mr. Luria, on a photograph well composed and beautifully rendered.
So well done in fact you should be proud and excited!
I'm thrilled if even a dang brokedown parochial loser bar patron has a look of awe or wonder at anything, only doubly more if it's a look of awe or inspiration while looking at one of my pieces.
You have every right to be proud.

Thank you Rocco. Mostly on these forums, as is prevalent everywhere and anywhere there is a forum, we find people that are only looking to cause trouble. They have no skill themselves and post no work of merit.

Their pleasure is derived from being anonymous while deriding others warranted or not. These are impotent people, Rocco. They have meaningless jobs and have no impact in their lives. So, they sit, like vultures on a telephone pole, waiting for their next meal. Any post will do.

I have tested this at other forums. I once posted an image and said that it wasn't mine, but wondered what others thought of it. The "opinions" were typically vicious and found every fault imaginable with that image. Then I let them know that it was taken by a world renowned photographer and was on temporary display in a New York City museum. So much for "opinions".

In the guise of giving an "opinion" the forum-vultures only want to mime superiority. They want to denigrate the work of others in order to feel better about themselves, when in reality they are unable to post work that will be highly regarded.

I post on four other forums and this is the only forum that "'responds" the way this one does. I am an award winning photographer and have sold both prints and coffee-table books of my work. I joined this forum to check it out, but have found it to be just another like the infamous DPReview.

Do yourself a favor Rocco, and join a better forum!

DarkPenguin

My Photo Selected!
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 01:14:07 pm »

Quote from: Rocco Penny

With places like Schmap paying nothing for the photos they use it just gets harder.  I will say this for them - they ask.  Not everyone does.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up