Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent images shot with the Canon 17mm T/S  (Read 3356 times)

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
Recent images shot with the Canon 17mm T/S
« on: December 26, 2009, 04:58:51 pm »

Attached are a couple of shots taken recently utilizing my 17mm T/S.  Thought they might be of interest to anyone considering the lens which I highly recommend!  The location is the new LA High School #9, a stunning design just north of the MOCA on Grand Avenue in downtown LA.  It's the school district's performing arts school designed by the Austrian firm, Coop Himmelb(l)au.  By the way, the vignette was applied in post.  Jim
[attachment=18903:_9_schoo..._cr1_dc4.jpg]
[attachment=18904:_9_Schoo..._083_dc8.jpg]

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 06:19:34 pm »

Quote from: haefnerphoto
Attached are a couple of shots taken recently utilizing my 17mm T/S.  Thought they might be of interest to anyone considering the lens which I highly recommend!  The location is the new LA High School #9, a stunning design just north of the MOCA on Grand Avenue in downtown LA.  It's the school district's performing arts school designed by the Austrian firm, Coop Himmelb(l)au.  By the way, the vignette was applied in post.  Jim

wow very nice...I love mod/min industrial architecture.  Just a bit cold for a high school in my view....looks a bit more like a car manufac plant or a prison.  Maybe it needs a little color...thats all.
And that image looks very nice in the res you posted online. Beuatiful!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 06:19:54 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 07:35:57 pm »

Gee... it looks more like a high-tech, high-security designer prison  I guess the first order of business for the school should be to let LA graffiti artists run wild on its outside walls.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 05:18:38 am »

Nothing to do with the photography, but everything to do with the architecture: grim.

Trouble is, these towers come with a negative history which doesn't always have much to do with the purpose of the building. There's an abandoned factory up here in the north of the island which has been abandoned for as long as anyone here seems to know; in fact, it has been reported as having been a textile factory, a shoe factory. The truth? No idea.

Anyway, the reason I shot it was because of the sense of evil that it gives off, even on a sunny day. Some buildings are benevolent whilst others are not. This one, I would never enter. From a hill high above it, you can see that the interior takes what seems to be a sort of quadrangular shape surrounding an overgrown yard.  What lies within is anyone's guess, and the thought of stumbling into it, perhaps falling into a disused water tank and rotting away there with nothing but the scorpions, spiders and ants for company is a bit too much.

But apart from that, which line of thought came much later, its original spur to photographic intererst was the idea of Nazi concentration camps with machine gun towers.

Whether concentration camp or factory, both dedicated to keeping the toilers within, does a school require the same symbolism? Is LA as the movies tell it?

I enclose the Mallorcan version just to illustrate the sense of oppression that towers might give.

Rob C

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 08:59:39 am »

You're kidding I hope, this is a gorgeous building and I wish that I was young enough to go there;or maybe I just wish that I was still young...
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 02:06:36 pm »

Quote from: ddk
You're kidding I hope, this is a gorgeous building and I wish that I was young enough to go there;or maybe I just wish that I was still young...

If I were you, I'd settle for the wish to be young again and leave the building to rot, as whoever may own it certainly seems happy to do.

As for its beauty: even the house in Psycho has its fans...

;-)

Rob C

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 03:02:22 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
If I were you, I'd settle for the wish to be young again and leave the building to rot, as whoever may own it certainly seems happy to do.

As for its beauty: even the house in Psycho has its fans...

;-)

Rob C

I think ddk was referring to the first photo...the school. As I said I wish it gets some sort of "new approach" color scheme to give it youth (maybe a translucent color to keep the concrete texture, etc). It is beautiful.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 03:12:20 pm »

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 03:12:54 pm by Phil Indeblanc »

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 10:31:00 am »

Quote from: Phil Indeblanc
I think ddk was referring to the first photo...the school. As I said I wish it gets some sort of "new approach" color scheme to give it youth (maybe a translucent color to keep the concrete texture, etc). It is beautiful.

I was, thanks for clarifying.
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 12:42:26 pm »

I agree stunning architecture.

BTW there is some fall off on those images. On the first I would expect this as it looks like it was fully shifted, but on the bottom one, given how much foreground there is, it doesn't look shifted much at all. Why the falloff in the second one?
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 02:15:33 pm »

While I agree the architecture is stark, I'm surprised at the negative connotations it's evoked.  I do know that the students, their parents and staff are thrilled with the facility.  Kirk, the vignetting was applied in post, there was none to begin with.  It's something I do to many of my images.  Jim

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 02:29:06 pm »

Quote from: haefnerphoto
While I agree the architecture is stark, I'm surprised at the negative connotations it's evoked.  I do know that the students, their parents and staff are thrilled with the facility.   Jim

Ins't it interesting the response?
When we think of kids(or my kids at least) attending an "institution" and seeing it in almost b/w, it is something I think of wanting warmth. Perhaps being a father of youngsters yet to go to school hope to see more enviting atmospheres to surround them with.  I can see it being an influence to there creative process. I am sure the intereior and curriculmn is entirely flip...but then again, it is a High school, in Los Angeles...downtown for that matter. jk...sort of  :-)

pschefz

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 04:12:45 pm »

don't forget that we get 350 days of blue skies and sunshine in LA:) in a different climate this might look different....or imagine the same photos in b&w with a dramatic sky....

either way, i just don't see how those towers evoke concentration camps....

coop himmelblau is a very interesting firm, this might actually be one of their more conservative designs....

i think it looks great....i believe a clean and simple environment breeds creativity....
schefz.com
artloch.com

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 04:46:23 pm »

Beautiful buildings: happy to see we were speaking about different buildings - reconfirms my shaky grasp on human emotions.

As for towers and concentration camps - you see these connections or you don't: a cultural thing.

But what's a tower for, exactly, if not for observation and/or superiority of position/situation/status within hierarchy/power? Given the time, the need and the courage, one could build a terrifying structure around the rĂ´le of the tower in human relationships; Babel comes to mind, amongst other things... but this is a far cry from shift lenses which are much safer avenues for thought.

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:16:23 am by Rob C »

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 05:20:04 pm »

Quote from: pschefz
don't forget that we get 350 days of blue skies and sunshine in LA:) in a different climate this might look different....or imagine the same photos in b&w with a dramatic sky....

either way, i just don't see how those towers evoke concentration camps....

coop himmelblau is a very interesting firm, this might actually be one of their more conservative designs....

i think it looks great....i believe a clean and simple environment breeds creativity....

RobC was making that comparison.  I don't see how that came about.  These are stunning examples of architecture.  Just not so kid warm.  The weather might make up for it. :-)

did I mention...Very nice angles and photos Jim
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 05:43:36 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
Pages: [1]   Go Up