Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fungus on Mamiya lens - how serious an issue?  (Read 3656 times)

hs0zfe

Fungus on Mamiya lens - how serious an issue?
« on: December 26, 2009, 08:14:16 am »

Hi All,

I'm selling my Mamiya gear on eBay. First, a new 4.0/210 mm lens for the 645. bought as new, never used and when I photographed it for the listing, there was not a speck of dust on the front lens.

Now the buyer clasims "fungus on the front lens". In 96 hours?!? No way!

So I asked for macro photos and got some weird stuff back. all I know, this is an eBay scam!

[color="#000000"][/color]Such a scam artist is targeting 100% feedback guys who will wish to avoid a first negative feedback. Is this something you all know? Just wondering.

A second buyer claims fungus on the 2 rear lenses of a 250 mm lens for the RB-67. He wants a discount and sounds more plausible. Will accomodate him, but asked for macro photos.

Which brings me to the question of how labor extensive is a CLA service on Mamiya lenses? Are the individual lenses held by some kind of glue? And how serious is fungus on lenses?

i took my gear to Thailand - maybe the higher humidity triggered something?

Will try and upload some photos later.

Cheers,
Chris

hs0zfe

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 10:40:55 am »

Quote from: hs0zfe
Hi All,

I'm selling my Mamiya gear on eBay. First, a new 4.0/210 mm lens for the 645. bought as new, never used and when I photographed it for the listing, there was not a speck of dust on the front lens.

So I asked for macro photos and got some weird stuff back. all I know, this is an eBay scam!

[color="#000000"][/color]Such a scam artist is targeting 100% feedback guys who will wish to avoid a first negative feedback. Is this something you all know? Just wondering.

A second buyer claims fungus on the 2 rear lenses of a 250 mm lens for the RB-67. He wants a discount and sounds more plausible. Will accomodate him, but asked for macro photos.

Which brings me to the question of how labor extensive is a CLA service on Mamiya lenses? Are the individual lenses held by some kind of glue? And how serious is fungus on lenses?

Cheers,
Chris

hs0zfe

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 10:42:48 am »

Quote from: hs0zfe
Hi All,

Cheers,
Chris

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 11:24:04 am »

I always thought fungus was the kiss of death for a lens.  Doesn't it eat into the coatings?

marcmccalmont

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 11:55:06 am »

Living in Hawaii fungus is a common problem, it usually is not to the point that coatings are damaged.
John at focal point has done a great job cleaning lenses for me, about $200 each and they come back looking new!
http://www.focalpointlens.com/fp_intro.html

Marc

To prevent the fungus I use zorb-its in my camera bags
http://zorb-it.com/Scripts/default.asp
Marc McCalmont

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 11:50:10 am »

Quote from: marcmccalmont
To prevent the fungus I use zorb-its in my camera bags
http://zorb-it.com/Scripts/default.asp

Oooo!  Very cool!  Thanks for posting this.

JamiePeters

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 12:36:47 am »

Thanks for posting this guys.  This is very very coooool.  I have a bunch of friends in Florida having this issue.  JP

marcmccalmont

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 12:30:40 pm »

Also the MAC group has cleaned a few of my mamiya lenses for $200 and they return looking new
Marc
Marc McCalmont
Pages: [1]   Go Up