Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod for Hiking  (Read 3076 times)

ChuckZ

• http://czhike88.smugmug.com/
Tripod for Hiking
« on: December 25, 2009, 09:48:13 am »

I'm looking to buy a new light weight, compact tripod and head to carry on long hikes and backpacking trips.  It would need to support a Nikon D300 and Nikon 16-85VR lens(1.3kg/2.9lb).  My budget is about $900 max.  So far, I've come up with a Gitzo GT-1541T/Markins Q3Traveler combo, but it is based on reviews that are not recent so I'm hoping to obtain some current suggestions.  Thank you very much for any thoughts.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Tripod for Hiking
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 03:38:12 pm »

Hi,

I used to have a Velbon 630, it's about 1.4 kg "sans head", but it is quite large. I used to have Acratech Ultimate Ballhead but switched to the RRS BH 40 because they have "lever type" quick release. The issue with the Acratech was that I use to mix up the "pan" knob and the "QR" knob so I was releasing my lens by mistake. Never dropped it, fortunately. I still like he Acratech and think about replacing the QR by an RRS-solution.

Admittedly, the Velbon 630 is large, even if lightweight. Tripods with four leg sections are smaller to pack but less stable.

I bought a Gitzo GT2541LS with a RRS Bh-55 head recently, I'm not absolutely sure it's an improvement over the Velbon.

The Nikon D300 and the 16-85 VR lens is not exactly what I would call heavy, should not be a problem on any decent tripod, but use MLU if you want sharp pictures. VR and tripod don't always go hand in hand, your mileage may vary.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: ChuckZ
I'm looking to buy a new light weight, compact tripod and head to carry on long hikes and backpacking trips.  It would need to support a Nikon D300 and Nikon 16-85VR lens(1.3kg/2.9lb).  My budget is about $900 max.  So far, I've come up with a Gitzo GT-1541T/Markins Q3Traveler combo, but it is based on reviews that are not recent so I'm hoping to obtain some current suggestions.  Thank you very much for any thoughts.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 03:49:54 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

DanielStone

Tripod for Hiking
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 06:52:04 pm »

chuck(OP),

go to Samy's tomorrow(41 E. Walnut Ave, Pasadena, CA) right between Fair Oaks and Raymond(assuming you've been there before. Talk to KEN DETHLOFF or Alyssa Pfaff Tell them I sent you(tell them my name, I used to work there at the film counter until the beginning of this year).

They should be able to get you what you need, both are extremely knowledgeable on the subject, since Ken is the head of the pro dept, and Alyssa is a great girl to deal with behind the counter.

they get there at 9am(pro dept. opens at 9 at the Pasadena store, whole store opens at 8am). just be aware, after christmas sale starts tomorrow, so get there at 9 sharp!

I'm telling you this because I worked there! and you don't want to be there with 100's of others waiting in line, not a nice buying/info-getting place to be at that time.

the pro dept is in the waaay back of the store.

merry christmas!

-Dan

ChuckZ

• http://czhike88.smugmug.com/
Tripod for Hiking
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 05:42:53 pm »

Quote from: DanielStone
chuck(OP),

go to Samy's tomorrow(41 E. Walnut Ave, Pasadena, CA) right between Fair Oaks and Raymond(assuming you've been there before. Talk to KEN DETHLOFF or Alyssa Pfaff Tell them I sent you(tell them my name, I used to work there at the film counter until the beginning of this year).

They should be able to get you what you need, both are extremely knowledgeable on the subject, since Ken is the head of the pro dept, and Alyssa is a great girl to deal with behind the counter.

they get there at 9am(pro dept. opens at 9 at the Pasadena store, whole store opens at 8am). just be aware, after christmas sale starts tomorrow, so get there at 9 sharp!

I'm telling you this because I worked there! and you don't want to be there with 100's of others waiting in line, not a nice buying/info-getting place to be at that time.

the pro dept is in the waaay back of the store.

merry christmas!

-Dan

Thanks for suggesting Samy's.  I decided to go with the Gitzo 1541T and bought it from Samy's web site for $100 less than B&H.  California sales tax ate up most of the savings, but I still came out ahead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up