Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom vignetting correction  (Read 5713 times)

viahorizon

Lightroom vignetting correction
« on: December 25, 2009, 05:42:43 am »

Hello,

I was doing a little panorama project using f/1.2 lens. I noticed the vignetting must be corrected before stitching to get the very best results. It is hard to guess precisely the amount of vignetting + midpoint data just looking at the pictures.

Do you know of a lens vignetting database place or of a tool/script that could supply those values based of a sort of calibration image (solid blue sky for instance)?

Best,
VH
gallery@viahorizon

francois

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 06:07:52 am »

Quote from: viahorizon
Hello,

I was doing a little panorama project using f/1.2 lens. I noticed the vignetting must be corrected before stitching to get the very best results. It is hard to guess precisely the amount of vignetting + midpoint data just looking at the pictures.

Do you know of a lens vignetting database place or of a tool/script that could supply those values based of a sort of calibration image (solid blue sky for instance)?

Best,
VH
PTLens ( http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/ ) or DXO ( http://www.dxo.com/us/photo ) might do the trick.
Francois

viahorizon

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 06:24:54 am »

Thanks. PTLens looks promising. Yet it's all destructive editing and inside Lightroom it could be non-destructive.
gallery@viahorizon

francois

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 11:51:35 am »

Thanks. PTLens looks promising. Yet it's all destructive editing and inside Lightroom it could be non-destructive.
There's no non-destructive solution at the moment, unfortunately.
Francois

viahorizon

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 01:18:52 pm »

I kind of hoped for a tool/hack to somehow estimate correct values to enter to lightroom vignetting tool... so the news is bad
gallery@viahorizon

Tklimek

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 04:25:34 pm »

I have a feeling that if one is patient; that exact feature may show up in LR 3.x.

I think some of core features currently missing from Lightroom (i.e.; not "Stability, Speed, Image Quality", etc.) may be addressed in the newest release whenever it comes out, or in the subsequent .x releases.

Features I'm looking forward to seeing:

Distortion correction (along the lines of PTLENS)
Proper softproofing capability
Picture book layouts/capability

Other nice to have stuff:
True "plug-in" ability (ability to have plug-in's in the non-destructive pipeline)
HDR capability
Panaromic stiching capability

Can't wait to see how 3.0 turns out; the beta is pretty good!

Todd in Chicago

I kind of hoped for a tool/hack to somehow estimate correct values to enter to lightroom vignetting tool... so the news is bad

Panopeeper

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 04:40:54 pm »

I was doing a little panorama project using f/1.2 lens. I noticed the vignetting must be corrected before stitching to get the very best results
The following has nothing to do with your question. I conclude from your vignetting problem that you actually shot the pano frames with f/1.2. If that is right, I would like to understand why you were using such aperture for a panorama.
Gabor

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 03:32:32 am »

I noticed the vignetting must be corrected before stitching to get the very best results.
Well, most good panorama stitchers can correct vignetting themselves (at least, Hugin and PS-Photomerge do).

But having the data you need is far from complicated :
- shoot something evenly lit at the desired aperture, better at a very slow shutter speed and moving fairly the camera to have no detail at all on the image,
- then boost the contrast and find the proper vignetting setting in LR,
- and then make a preset with these vignetting parameters and apply to all other shots.
No ready-made automation for that, so far, alas.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

viahorizon

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 04:19:26 am »

Thanks for all the replies.

@NikoJori: I did as you advice thanks to the hints from another user. I've found the vignetting to be not exactly symmetrical (see attached greyscale image files).

@Panopeeper: I don't want to be limited in my aperture choice when doing panos -- sometimes I decide I'd like shallow DOF or I have no tripod.

There is very interesting read about nonuniform image illumination @ http://www.reindeergraphics.com/index.php?...&Itemid=125
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 04:38:25 am by viahorizon »
gallery@viahorizon

Panopeeper

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 11:14:06 am »

I don't want to be limited in my aperture choice when doing panos -- sometimes I decide I'd like shallow DOF or I have no tripod.
That's all right, but the sharpness at the edges is usually the victim, and that can ruin the pano.
Gabor

sandymc

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 05:57:48 am »

I've found the vignetting to be not exactly symmetrical (see attached greyscale image files).

CornerFix (at least V1.3+) can handle asymmetrical vignetting. You'd have to convert your images to DNG to be able to use it however.

Sandy

viahorizon

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 03:40:52 pm »

@Sandy

Thank you very much! That's the exact tool I was looking for. Splendid!
gallery@viahorizon

dkekesi

• http://www.kekesi.com
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 07:26:35 am »

Why don't you try using PTGUI for stitching? It will automatically correct for falloff during the process, so you do not need to bother.
Best Regards,

viahorizon

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 03:21:31 pm »

I tried it - some vignetting is removed, but not all.
gallery@viahorizon
Pages: [1]   Go Up