Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snowy Rocks, Donner Lake  (Read 2876 times)

GrantKaye

Snowy Rocks, Donner Lake
« on: December 24, 2009, 06:52:25 pm »

I've been playing around with the B + W conversion process, and trying to learn some new ways to get from color to contrasty black and white. Here' a result from one image, shot at sunset at Donner Lake, what do you guys think?

I would love to have had a bit more light on the hills in the background at the top, but no such luck as the sun disappeared.

Anyway, thanks for having a look!

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Snowy Rocks, Donner Lake
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 07:04:09 pm »

It's delicious

Excellent work!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Snowy Rocks, Donner Lake
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 09:49:41 pm »

Works for me. Very nice.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

JamiePeters

Snowy Rocks, Donner Lake
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 09:55:22 pm »

I like the shot also and I agree would have been nice to see a beam of light hit the background.  Very nice. JP

Quote from: GrantKaye
I've been playing around with the B + W conversion process, and trying to learn some new ways to get from color to contrasty black and white. Here' a result from one image, shot at sunset at Donner Lake, what do you guys think?

I would love to have had a bit more light on the hills in the background at the top, but no such luck as the sun disappeared.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Snowy Rocks, Donner Lake
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 11:27:33 pm »

Quote from: GrantKaye

I don't agree. As it is, the background is menacing and a further development of the significance of the ice in the foreground. If the background were bright it would be a completely different, perhaps prettier picture, but probably not nearly as striking. It's a fine shot as is. Good shooting, Grant.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Snowy Rocks, Donner Lake
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 12:38:09 am »

Quote from: RSL
I don't agree. As it is, the background is menacing and a further development of the significance of the ice in the foreground. If the background were bright it would be a completely different, perhaps prettier picture, but probably not nearly as striking. It's a fine shot as is. Good shooting, Grant.

I'm with Russ.  I think if the background was much brighter it would distract from the significance of the foreground.  I wouldn't change it.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Snowy Rocks, Donner Lake
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 02:26:26 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
I'm with Russ.  I think if the background was much brighter it would distract from the significance of the foreground.  I wouldn't change it.

Mike.

Yup agreed - I love the dark foreboding and menacing background.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

John R

Snowy Rocks, Donner Lake
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 09:07:06 am »

A stunning landscape. I converted a couple of shots into BW and people complained that the texture of the snow did not come through. I like this and can see some texture. In this kind of shot, where mood, forms and shapes are dominant themes, the texture does not matter as much. Something to keep in mind.

JMR
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 09:12:42 am by John R »

francois

Snowy Rocks, Donner Lake
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 11:50:29 am »

A superb winter scene. Absolutely stunning. FWIW, I also like the dark background.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up