Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to create a default pre-set?  (Read 4815 times)

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
How to create a default pre-set?
« on: December 23, 2009, 08:34:27 pm »

I would like to have some adjustment tool pre-sets that become the default settings, so that I don't have to select them for each image that I edit.  I can see how pre-sets are created but not how they can be saved as defaults.  The C1 User Guide is not very helpful.

Rob

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 11:28:23 am »

Quote from: robgo2
I would like to have some adjustment tool pre-sets that become the default settings, so that I don't have to select them for each image that I edit.  I can see how pre-sets are created but not how they can be saved as defaults.  The C1 User Guide is not very helpful.

Rob

Find an image from the camera you want to build the presets for -- this should be a properly exposed image under the type of lighting you would normally have for this type of shot.  First step is to do a CMD+R to reset all settings.  Now begin your adjustments starting with Camera Profile, response curve, WB, sat, levels or curves, sharpening (usually ISO dependent), NR (definitely ISO dependent) -- that's usually where I'll leave it.  Now copy those adjustments to the clip-board either by using the "out" arrow from the menu or doing a Shift+CMD+C.  Now find the tool menu that looks like a document -- here you'll see all of the adjustments you made checked.  You can add others you want included in your saved style by checking them, or remove ones you don't want by unchecking them.  At the bottom of this tool tab is a button labeled "Styles." If you click on it you have an option to "Save New Style," so click that and give it an appropriate name -- like "1Ds3_DayLight_ISO_100-200."  Now you can click on anopther image and select this new Style from the Styles dropdown menu.

Cheers,
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Joe Behar

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 11:45:04 am »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
Find an image from the camera you want to build the presets for -- this should be a properly exposed image under the type of lighting you would normally have for this type of shot.  First step is to do a CMD+R to reset all settings.  Now begin your adjustments starting with Camera Profile, response curve, WB, sat, levels or curves, sharpening (usually ISO dependent), NR (definitely ISO dependent) -- that's usually where I'll leave it.  Now copy those adjustments to the clip-board either by using the "out" arrow from the menu or doing a Shift+CMD+C.  Now find the tool menu that looks like a document -- here you'll see all of the adjustments you made checked.  You can add others you want included in your saved style by checking them, or remove ones you don't want by unchecking them.  At the bottom of this tool tab is a button labeled "Styles." If you click on it you have an option to "Save New Style," so click that and give it an appropriate name -- like "1Ds3_DayLight_ISO_100-200."  Now you can click on anopther image and select this new Style from the Styles dropdown menu.

Cheers,

Now, if you want that style to be automatically applied to every shot you take (in tethered mode, anyway) go to the camera tab and in the "next capture adjustments" tool, under "all other" select "defaults with style..." and choose your new style.

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 12:28:18 pm »

Quote from: Jack Flesher

Cheers,

Jack,

Thanks, I will try that.  Now will any given style automatically stick throughout a session, or do I have to choose it for each image?

Rob

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 01:00:42 pm »

Quote from: robgo2
Jack,

Thanks, I will try that.  Now will any given style automatically stick throughout a session, or do I have to choose it for each image?

Rob

In their current form, Styles do not stick -- it's a bit nit I have with C1, and an issue most of us have been complaining about since version 4. In this day and age, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for why I cannot create my own set of preset adjustments and have them stick for any/all sessions I open, tethered or untethered. (Actually, in C1 5 we can set sharpening and NR defaults and have them stick across sessions, but so far they are the only ones.)   So as of now, this is what we're stuck with, and the best workaround is creating a custom style that holds all  of your adjustments.  However, there is some light --- at least you can apply them in batch.  So what I generally do is open my session, select all images and apply the preset style I think best suits the bulk of the images in the session, then I'll select and edit individually from there.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 01:01:48 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/
Pages: [1]   Go Up