Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fixing what wasn't broken  (Read 2302 times)

Douglas Benton

Fixing what wasn't broken
« on: December 23, 2009, 10:47:32 am »

I have a NEC 2690 with the Spectraview software (Mac Probook, 10.5.8). I also had a few minutes the other day and decided to calibrate it since it was way over due. I ran the software several times but didn't like the results. I switched back and forth between the new and old. It was quite a bit different from the previous calibration and no longer matched the printed output as close. Here's where I should have left well enough alone. I downloaded the latest version of Spectraview and ran it. The result is a little better but still not as good as it was. The problem is that now that I've updated, the old calibration no longer shows up in the dialog box and I can't switch back.

1. Any Ideas how to un-fix what wasn't broken?
2. How can you verify if a calibration is accurate or not? Because the old profile matches my profiled printer outputs (IPF5000), I'm assuming it is a better calibration.  

Thanks for your help,
Doug

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 12:13:37 pm »

Quote from: Douglas Benton
2. How can you verify if a calibration is accurate or not?

Accurate? Well having a reference grade spectroradiometer and software would help. But let skip “accuracy” and just view the display and print under a controlled viewing booth next to the display. Do they match with the soft proof invoked?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Douglas Benton

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 12:34:32 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
Accurate? Well having a reference grade spectroradiometer and software would help. But let skip “accuracy” and just view the display and print under a controlled viewing booth next to the display. Do they match with the soft proof invoked?

In my case, not anymore. It did, until I re-calibrated. I am using the Greytag i1 display 2 with the spectra view software for calibration and printing on epson prem luster with a custom profile on a canon ipf5000. With the new calibration the screen's contrast and density are pretty close to the print, but the color is off to the green side.  

I also went to x-rite and used the i1 diagnostics to make sure the puck was not the problem and then tried calibrating using i1 match. The result was a little darker but similar color as with the spectraview.

I would settle for getting back to where I was, but I would love to know what changed and why.

Doug

sniper

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 12:39:00 pm »

Does the Mac have it's own version of system restore?

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 01:04:11 pm »

Quote from: sniper
Does the Mac have it's own version of system restore?

Yes it's called Time Machine and gives you the ability to restore the entire hard drive or just one file.
Gerald J Skrocki

Douglas Benton

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 05:17:00 pm »

As it turns out, it was my i1 display puck that went bad. I borrowed one and the resulting calibration was dead on. What's odd is that I ran the diagnostics from x-rite and it said it was good. I'll have to check if those can be re-calibrated.
Thanks for you responses.

Doug

Marco Ugolini

• http://
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 03:36:16 pm »

Quote from: Douglas Benton
As it turns out, it was my i1 display puck that went bad. I borrowed one and the resulting calibration was dead on. What's odd is that I ran the diagnostics from x-rite and it said it was good. I'll have to check if those can be re-calibrated.
Thanks for you responses.

Doug
That happened to me too once, with an EyeOne Display 1. It went bad very suddenly, from one day to the next.

But it had worked fine up to then.

As for the EyeOneDiagnostic software, it doesn't seem able to pick up certain kinds of device failure. To be honest, I'm not sure what it's really useful for.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 03:36:46 pm by Marco Ugolini »
Marco Ugolini
Pages: [1]   Go Up