Poll

also posts of users who have experience of all kind of sensor/ film sizes who share their experiences here, as long as this users have experience in using larger sensors too.

Only such posts
- 25 (20.7%)
Not only such posts
- 63 (52.1%)
i dont care
- 33 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pls vote what you want to see here.  (Read 4344 times)

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
pls vote what you want to see here.
« on: December 22, 2009, 09:30:14 am »

i hope its interesting to make a vote what people want to see here.
sorry my english, hope its still possible to understand the questions right ...
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

erick.boileau

• http://
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 12:11:59 pm »

I find interesting 35mm vs MF comparison

Carsten W

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 01:52:04 pm »

I prefer mostly MF (and LF) photography discussions, with the *occasional* intelligent discussion of other formats, such as the Canon 17 T/S and how it changes the architecture game. Getting into the old back-and-forth on the issue of MF vs. 35mm makes no sense, IMO, since no one ever changes their opinion as a result of these.
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 07:09:45 pm »

Quote from: carstenw
I prefer mostly MF (and LF) photography discussions, with the *occasional* intelligent discussion of other formats, such as the Canon 17 T/S and how it changes the architecture game. Getting into the old back-and-forth on the issue of MF vs. 35mm makes no sense, IMO, since no one ever changes their opinion as a result of these.

For me, the value of this  section of the LL forum is not the camera's or back's at all, its about the working photographers sharing.  There is simply no place like it anywhere on the web.

Sharing on this level is dying.  You used to get some face to face during the daily trip to the lab.  Later you found it at the RG forums.  Now its here and we are all the better for it.

To all the guys willing to offer up pearls of wisdom, thanks.  It goes a long way in adding strength to our chosen occupation.  

I'm sorry that some feel there are "haters" here or are obsessed with keeping the one true professional photographers meeting place "pure" with only MF talk.  Please let it go.  This place is a haven and to see it fall like the RG forum would be a shame of the highest order.

And thank you Michael, for hosting us and for putting up with the crowd.
Craig Lamson Photo

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 07:35:30 pm »

Quote from: infocusinc
I'm sorry that some feel there are "haters" here or are obsessed with keeping the one true professional photographers meeting place "pure" with only MF talk.

...but it isn't a 'pro' forum, and it shouldn't be strange that people come to a MF forum for MF talk. Quite the opposite.
However, there IS clearly demand for some sort of pro talk forum, so I hope Michael will set something up.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 07:48:09 pm »

Quote from: Graham Mitchell
...but it isn't a 'pro' forum, and it shouldn't be strange that people come to a MF forum for MF talk. Quite the opposite.
However, there IS clearly demand for some sort of pro talk forum, so I hope Michael will set something up.

Well like it or not, it IS a "pro forum" MF title or not.  BTW, there is no limit on MF talk nor anyone with a gun to your head making you read threads that you don't want to read.

As it stands IMO, I think  this section of the forum works quite well and the topics discussed are spot on and very informative.

YMMV.
Craig Lamson Photo

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 07:53:59 pm »

Well like it or not, it IS a "pro forum" MF title or not.

Why would you think that? Owning a MFDB doesn't make anyone a pro. There are probably a lot more pros in the average Canon forum, by sheer force of numbers.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 08:06:39 pm »

[!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Graham Mitchell)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE (Graham Mitchell)[div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]...but it isn't a 'pro' forum, and it shouldn't be strange that people come to a MF forum for MF talk. Quite the opposite.
However, there IS clearly demand for some sort of pro talk forum, so I hope Michael will set something up.[/quote]

So what it is about being a "pro" which makes someone's opinion on anything more valuable? And before you (not necessarily directed at Graham) say something along the lines "pros have unique challenges and viewpoints on certain aspects of photography": what if someone earns 49% of her income from photography, and another 51%, is the latter a pro, while former should keep to the non-pro section?

I know I'm being pedantic, but I'm always suspicious of misguided elitism. Not to say that if I some day win the lottery and splurge on an S2, I'd be pissed to find out I'm not elite enough to frequent this forum

Oh, right, S2 is not an MFDB.

I kid.

edit: didn't mean to imply Graham is elitist.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:19:19 pm by feppe »

tho_mas

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 08:09:12 pm »

Owning a MFDB doesn't make anyone a pro.
of course not. But in this forum there are a lot of pros who use, own or know all the systems.
Without their contributions what do you want to talk about? Larger viewfinders? Wow, exciting!
The by far most interesting threads for quite a while here are the comparisions of the LF lenses against the 35mm lenses. And the "how to become a great architecture photographer" threads.
Me I appriciate every contribution of the respective pros on this forum. I've learnt so many things!
On the other hand: does it hurt me when someone jokes about the LCDs? No, I can laugh about it as it is simply true... I can't tell a building from a refrigerator on the LCD of my DB either.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 08:13:51 pm »

Quote from: tho_mas
I can't tell a building from a refrigerator on the LCD of my DB either.

Regardless, it's probably best to avoid that excuse if you deliver a series of fridge photos to your architect customer...

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 08:15:59 pm »

Quote from: rainer_v
i hope its interesting to make a vote what people want to see here.

While the forum software allows for the creation of a poll, it should be noted that this forum is not run as a democracy...you should not be under the delusion that Michael particularly cares about what forums users claim to want. The forums is here on an "As Is" basis...use it or not. Read and Post as you wish, but don't expect that some sort of poll is gonna have much if any sort of impact.

The only REAL way to vote is to quit coming to the forums...if enough people quit coming, perhaps Michael might be inclined to make some changes–on the other hand, he may be so tickled to death that traffic is down that he would continue to do nothing.

Seriously...post / don't post. That's the only vote that counts...

tho_mas

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 08:24:40 pm »

Quote from: feppe
Regardless, it's probably best to avoid that excuse if you deliver a series of fridge photos to your architect customer...

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 08:25:38 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
While the forum software allows for the creation of a poll, it should be noted that this forum is not run as a democracy...you should not be under the delusion that Michael particularly cares about what forums users claim to want. The forums is here on an "As Is" basis...use it or not. Read and Post as you wish, but don't expect that some sort of poll is gonna have much if any sort of impact.

The only REAL way to vote is to quit coming to the forums...if enough people quit coming, perhaps Michael might be inclined to make some changes–on the other hand, he may be so tickled to death that traffic is down that he would continue to do nothing.

yes i know.
but as most of my "researches" i made this poll at first for my own interest too.
i wanted to know how many hardcore mf humans are here ...
at the moment i count 6,
depending on my humor it might be that 11 is the right number.
more than i expected.
( kidding ).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:39:40 pm by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

JoeKitchen

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 08:40:25 pm »

This section of the LL forum is where I find the most high end pro's and look to get advice from and share with.  Whether or not they use MF all the time or not does not bother me, just as long as they are high end pro's that really know their equipment and are serious about their career, which every photographer posting to the architectural theme threads (which I look at most) I feel are.  I really enjoy the conversation and would not want to alter it over technicalities.  

Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:42:36 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Craig Lamson

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 09:12:29 pm »

Why would you think that? Owning a MFDB doesn't make anyone a pro. There are probably a lot more pros in the average Canon forum, by sheer force of numbers.

Why would I think that?  I read the posts in this section of the forum.
Craig Lamson Photo

PeterA

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 09:13:51 pm »

I am interested in how people use thier backs and lenses and lights to make photographs. I am interested in what people have to say about photography and often the great links to other photographers and sometime technical matters ( eg the Architecture threads were fantastic ) to be perfectly frank - the manufacturer contributions in this forum are far more valuable from a factoid perspective than opines from users or would be users. A nerdy amatuer photographer who has been shooting for 20 + years and devotes precious leaisure time to his or her passion is far more knowledgeable about the nerdy stuff than the typical person on this forum.

As for what format should be discussed - if I want to read about CaNikonSony - there are other forums. However I dont believe that prescription adds a lot of value and I am not inrterested enough on forum dynamics to care anyway.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 09:15:00 pm by PeterA »

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 04:46:58 am »

Well like it or not, it IS a "pro forum" MF title or not.  BTW, there is no limit on MF talk nor anyone with a gun to your head making you read threads that you don't want to read.

As it stands IMO, I think  this section of the forum works quite well and the topics discussed are spot on and very informative.

YMMV.

+1
Thank you, I think so, too. There have been a lot of very interesting discussions about "off topic pro themes", which I read regulary. For me it´s simply the most interesting part of LL.
As long it´s not once again: My DSLR is as good/better/whatever as your MFDB, for me 35mm users are welcome, too. For me the title reads like "The pro discussions" because there is no other place for those themes.

Cheers, Ulf

tho_mas

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 05:40:35 am »

Quote from: Schewe

well, at least this thread http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=40269 apparently moved Michael to change the title and the rules of this forum. Why shouldn't his thread move him to change it back again? He's certainly not a person who carrys on regardless.

Pages: [1]   Go Up