Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tiger to Snow Leopard- how??  (Read 3427 times)

jjlphoto

Tiger to Snow Leopard- how??
« on: December 21, 2009, 07:29:39 pm »

I have an Mac desktop computer, an Intel MacPro 2.66/twin Xeon duals. I purchased it in Aug 2007. It is one of the early 64bit units that unfortunately cannot run in 64 bit mode due to its EFI32 firmware, amongst other things.

Currently running Tiger 10.4.11. There seems to be conflicting information regarding the upgrade path to Snow Leopard. Some tell me I need to first install Leopard, some tell me I can go straight to Snow Leopard and buy just the $29.99 Snow Leopard disk.

Suggestions?
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 04:07:24 am »

Quote from: jjlphoto
I have an Mac desktop computer, an Intel MacPro 2.66/twin Xeon duals. I purchased it in Aug 2007. It is one of the early 64bit units that unfortunately cannot run in 64 bit mode due to its EFI32 firmware, amongst other things.

Currently running Tiger 10.4.11. There seems to be conflicting information regarding the upgrade path to Snow Leopard. Some tell me I need to first install Leopard, some tell me I can go straight to Snow Leopard and buy just the $29.99 Snow Leopard disk.

Suggestions?
Try Google. The consensus seems to be that you can buy a Snow Leopard disk and do a clean install;it will work, but you'll probably be breaking the EULA.

Jeremy

francois

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 04:56:51 am »

The $29 upgrade disk will also work for a full install. I don't know if you're breaking the EULA but I remember that Apple acknowledged the fact that users won't always purchased the full Snow Leopard + iWork DVD and will use the "upgrade" DVD.
Francois

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 07:39:05 am »

I would in any case save your current system with Carbon Copy Cloner to an external disk and then try to go to 10.6.

If you want a clean install or not that is your own choice.
Remember not all software is yet upgraded for Snow Leopard.  ( DXO- Nikon NX-Hp-APS...?)

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

DavorHorvatic

• http://www.xpose.at
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 08:36:01 am »

Quote from: jjlphoto

Suggestions?

Is this the same MacPro that I have??? I´m also running 10.4.11 and would like to switch to 10.6....

Modellname:   Mac Pro
  Modell-Identifizierung:   MacPro1,1
  Prozessortyp:   Dual-Core Intel Xeon
  Prozessorgeschwindigkeit:   2.66 GHz
  Anzahl der Prozessoren:   2
  Gesamtzahl der Kerne:   4
  L2-Cache (pro Prozessor):   4 MB
  Speicher:   5 GB
  Busgeschwindigkeit:   1.33 GHz
  Boot-ROM-Version:   MP11.005C.B08
  SMC Version:   1.7f10
  Seriennummer:   CK7350F2Z6M
Cheers

Davor

xpose solutions

francois

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 10:17:23 am »

Quote from: kers
I would in any case save your current system with Carbon Copy Cloner to an external disk and then try to go to 10.6.
Excellent advice, don't upgrade without having a bootable backup…
Francois

jjlphoto

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 10:34:59 am »

The general consensus from users that have upgraded is that I can get just the $29.99 Snow Leopard disk. Doesn't violate the Apple EULA either. Some have done a simple upgrade, others have done a clean install and reinstalled their additional software and user settings. I'll first deactivate CS4 and Capture One, then do a totally clean install and re-install all my other software. Oh yeah- I'll make a fresh clone of my Tiger drive first.

I'll report back with my findings.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 10:36:00 am by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

jjlphoto

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 09:53:24 am »

All went well. I checked the customize option, added a check to install Rosetta (you need to be connected on-line to get that), and unchecked the box next to printers. After all was done, I went to Epson site, downloaded the current 3800 driver, and all works fine.

I did do a couple of additional runs of Apple Software Updates as there are some recent updates to 10.6, and other to Java, etc.

Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

francois

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 10:00:43 am »

Glad to hear that your update went smoothly and thank you for reporting your experience.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 10:01:15 am by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up