Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: online Framing supplies?  (Read 16638 times)

Rocco Penny

online Framing supplies?
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 05:21:18 am »

Refining my own approach to purchasing retail materials, is using one of the larger chains acceptable?
Never "Michael's" or another big box type store, but "Pearl", "Dick Blick", or another store front in San Francisco.
We have them all here.
I do like going to a small retailer, avoiding even Calumet, but I like the experience of seeing all the possibilities laid out right in front of me.  Also, sometimes where do you find 4foot by 8 foot hunks of foamcore?
So is going into pearl, dickblick, or artists&craftsmans supporting my own purpose with integrity?
Just wondering.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
online Framing supplies?
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 09:49:04 am »

I recently started building my own frames and aside from using Framing4Yourself.com , I found The Picture Framer's Grumble forum to be a great source of information for anyone interested in making their own frames.

http://www.thegrumble.com/

Gerald J Skrocki

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
online Framing supplies?
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 02:42:50 pm »

I'll add another nod for American Frame, who I have been using for more than 10 years. I framed an exhibit this past summer of 51-pieces (20" prints) and the average cost, including UV/anti-glare Acrylite, conservation mat board (3" borders), archival backing board and metal Nielson frame, was about $73 per print. The local frame shop quoted me more than $200 per print, and their only choice of glazing was standard glass. Even factoring in the couple of hundred dollars for shipping the three different order orders, I still saved more than $5000. Sure, it took a couple of days to get it all framed, but it was still well worth it.

I had no problems with any of the frame dimensions or mat cuttings, although I did have one small issue in a subsequent order which was promptly (overnight!) and courteously remedied. Can't ask for more than that.
"The real voyage of discove

Tom Montgomery

online Framing supplies?
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 08:45:45 pm »

After so many positive posts about Frame Destination I am discouraged to see on their website that they don't ship outside the USA.  Why some US companies have this policy is a mystery to me; AFAIK all the usual US shipping companies have Canadian offices and will handle cross-border shipments, brokerage, duties and even federal tax.

I'm not sure about American Frame, but Michael mentions them in the Fine Print video, and he's in Toronto, so they must at least ship to Canada.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
online Framing supplies?
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 10:11:31 pm »

Quote from: jerryrock
I recently started building my own frames and aside from using Framing4Yourself.com , I found The Picture Framer's Grumble forum to be a great source of information for anyone interested in making their own frames.

http://www.thegrumble.com/
An old Morso, a set of framer's clamps, a medium-good matte cutter, an Alvin straight edge, a tape measure, a glass or plex cutter, a sharp Xacto knife, and you're in business.  Oh, I forget the underpinner, gotta have one of those, it should be a good one, don't scrimp.  And the air compressor to run the underpinner, don't forget.

Random thoughts about framing for yourself...

Your living room is nothing more than wasted space in its current use.

When your garage fills up with boxes of moulding, you can still lean about a dozen against your (former) living room wall.

You don't really need any leisure time at all, and that TV is wasting the space it occupies.

Remember when you used to go out and shoot whenever the mood grabbed you?  Best to just forget about that.

Watch your mouth when there are children in the house.

If you are using the wrong table height, your back will hurt like Hell.  If you are using the right table height, your back will only hurt like Purgatory.

Try not to cut any fingers off.

Memorize where the Bactine and the bandages are.  Above all else do not bleed on the art, and only then worry about your torn flesh.

Know the shortest route to the emergency room.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
online Framing supplies?
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 11:50:00 pm »

Quote from: bill t.

I'm going to have to keep this list around  I teach an intro framing class on occasion to my work's photography club and spend a few minutes explaining why they *don't* want to frame on their own. This list is a good addition to that!

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Mary K

online Framing supplies?
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 05:21:36 am »

Another vote for Frame Destination -- quality materials with good prices and great packaging.

Mary
Mary Konchar

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
online Framing supplies?
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 08:49:59 am »

An old Morso, a set of framer's clamps, a medium-good matte cutter, an Alvin straight edge, a tape measure, a glass or plex cutter, a sharp Xacto knife, and you're in business.  Oh, I forget the underpinner, gotta have one of those, it should be a good one, don't scrimp.  And the air compressor to run the underpinner, don't forget.

[snip]

…and best of all is all the “free” hardwood kindling you’re gonna have….

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
online Framing supplies?
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 01:01:03 pm »

Your living room is nothing more than wasted space in its current use.

When your garage fills up with boxes of moulding, you can still lean about a dozen against your (former) living room wall.

You don't really need any leisure time at all, and that TV is wasting the space it occupies.

Remember when you used to go out and shoot whenever the mood grabbed you?  Best to just forget about that.

Watch your mouth when there are children in the house.

If you are using the wrong table height, your back will hurt like Hell.  If you are using the right table height, your back will only hurt like Purgatory.

Try not to cut any fingers off.

Memorize where the Bactine and the bandages are.  Above all else do not bleed on the art, and only then worry about your torn flesh.

Admittedly, having your own matting and framing shop requires space, time and patience but it is not the back breaking, bloody mess that you make it out to be. Producing custom frames can as rewarding as making your own prints. My next step will be to produce one of a kind custom carve frames.

Gerald J Skrocki

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
online Framing supplies?
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 07:53:13 pm »

Admittedly, having your own matting and framing shop requires space, time and patience but it is not the back breaking, bloody mess that you make it out to be.

Check out the current "Blood....." thread on the Grumble.  Eek.  Or just ask the Grumblers to post their favorite injury story, that would be interesting I guarantee it.

A few frames now and then is no sweat.  A hundred+ large frames in a couple weeks in advance of an art fair and/or holiday season is always at least figuratively bloody, and quite often literally!  And my back really, really hurts when I do a lot of frames at once!

The trick is, keep it at a level where one can be a gentleman framer, rather than a high volume framing schlep.

dseelig

online Framing supplies?
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2009, 11:47:16 pm »

1-800-243-0386

work   www.contemporaryframe.com
I use them for frames
David

framah

online Framing supplies?
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2009, 09:11:19 am »

Let's see... 11 stitches on my right ring finger and 14 on my left ring finger. Done years apart but done when I was young at this game. Haven't cut myself in a long time!!   Always be aware of the distance between your fingers and the blade.

You might also want to get a glass seamer. You run it along the edges of the glass and it takes off the little shard that will slice your hand. Well worth the price for not bleeding on your images.

Love the list, Bill!!

Jerryrock, you'll still need the last three on the list for custom carved frames!  

Look into United Manufacturers Supply for a really good source of tools and materials.   1-800-645-7260
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

whawn

• The Daily Photograph™
online Framing supplies?
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2009, 04:22:40 pm »

Quote from: PeterAM
Another vote for Frame Destination. I actually got a package of four frame kits from them today;as someone else said, nobody packs like they do.

And that packing is an added benefit.  For larger frames, especially, you not only get the frame complete, but you get all the packing you need to send it on its way once again.
Walter Hawn -- Casper, Wyoming

fdi

• http://www.framedestination.com/
online Framing supplies?
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2010, 05:11:35 pm »

Quote from: Tom Montgomery
After so many positive posts about Frame Destination I am discouraged to see on their website that they don't ship outside the USA.  Why some US companies have this policy is a mystery to me; AFAIK all the usual US shipping companies have Canadian offices and will handle cross-border shipments, brokerage, duties and even federal tax.

Tom, I am the owner of Frame Destination and I understand and share your frustration. Although shipping cross border as an individual is not too bad, putting in place an automated system for a website company to legally export product is completely different. I was very disappointed to discover how complicated and resource intensive that effort would be. As Frame Destination continues to grow, we will eventually have the resources to get something in place.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark Rogers
Frame Destination [url=https

Bill Koenig

online Framing supplies?
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 03:28:38 pm »

I use Framing4yourself.com. They are reliable with competitive prices and good customer service.

http://www.framing4yourself.com/index.htm

I've been using Frame 4 yourself since I started cutting my own mats. They are located just out side of Chicago.
Until 1-15-10, shipping is only $5.95, I just sent out a order for 22 rag mat boards, I'd hate to pay the full shipping on that order.
I buy my frames at this place http://www.decorframe.com/index.php

Bill Koenig,
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up