Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Plea to Michael: separate place for 35 vs DMF debates  (Read 18527 times)

stewarthemley

Plea to Michael: separate place for 35 vs DMF debates
« on: December 21, 2009, 07:39:08 am »

Like it says in the title, Michael, any chance of removing (banishing?) this endless and pointless debate to its own little space then all the people who find it worthwhile can go there and fight themselves to a standstill while the rest of us can get on with exchanging useful info about MF BACKS? I know we don't have to read them but they crop up often and really don't belong here. Goodness knows how much bandwidth they must waste.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 08:13:58 am »

+1

Khun_K

• http://
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 08:23:39 am »

Quote from: stewarthemley
Like it says in the title, Michael, any chance of removing (banishing?) this endless and pointless debate to its own little space then all the people who find it worthwhile can go there and fight themselves to a standstill while the rest of us can get on with exchanging useful info about MF BACKS? I know we don't have to read them but they crop up often and really don't belong here. Goodness knows how much bandwidth they must waste.
But sometmes may be worth to take a look if the title of discussion column needs to be changed. we are talking about photography. Yes, it is also equipment related, but I don't think one bleived so much in medium format will be changed to look into DSLR, if it is so good and why not. At the same time, one have so much condidene about his DSLR may also be chaned to look at what larger sensor can offer.  I think a little confusion can sometimes trigger more debates, and I don't think debates or comparison is bad, as long as it is contrstructive. When I look at the forum like this, yes, not all the debate or disucssion have much sense in it, but overall if we have 60-70% good discussion, it is not that bad, nothing is perfect. Many user have both system, and switching between systems often, its worht to remain a cross reference within a column than to physically break the directon of discussion.  

Regards, K

E_Edwards

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 08:24:37 am »

Personally I don't mind. Some of the posts comparing output are useful or interesting. Frankly, if you don't like them, you don't have to read them.

I find polling posts about what system you use pretty useless, but some people like them, so live and let live. I quite like the diversity, all in one place.

Edward

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 08:44:53 am »

And this thread isn't wasting any? It all depends on how you look at something, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:49:25 am by ddk »
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

ctz

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 08:48:10 am »

Quote from: Graham Mitchell
+1

-1!

michael

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 08:50:36 am »

For the most part (and unlike many forums) we have a group of photographers here who are knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Most are adults, and act like it. The ones that don't, don't last long.

My preference is for this forum to be self-policing to the greatest extent possible. Stupid threads usually die out quickly enough, or they simply get closed and die a natural death.

Michael
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:51:10 am by michael »

ced

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 09:01:49 am »

No need. The 35mm format if the manufacturers want to capture a bigger market and more pros will need to migrate to larger sensors just as Leica have seen the light.
The 35mm format is a lousy format to begin with and was born as a compromise, now they have the opportunity to break the shackles from that restrictive format.

Abdulrahman Aljabri

• http://www.aljabri.com
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 09:30:14 am »

Where are those pointless threads? So far I have seen mostly useful threads on this forum, and not to be rude but this is the only pointless thread that I came across recently.
MY SITE: AL

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 10:43:58 am »

I know we don't have to read them

You have solved your own problem.

bcooter

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 11:27:42 am »

Quote from: ced
No need. The 35mm format if the manufacturers want to capture a bigger market and more pros will need to migrate to larger sensors just as Leica have seen the light.
The 35mm format is a lousy format to begin with and was born as a compromise, now they have the opportunity to break the shackles from that restrictive format.

Since this forum is visit by makers and dealers you'd think the positive reason for these type of posts is for the camera makers to learn and respond.

You'd think the specialty camera companies' response to the high end dslrs would be higher iso, better lcds, live view, more lens options, faster delivery, better price. less complication.

When I heard that Leica was coming out with an almost medium format camera from a clean sheet I thought cool, other than price maybe they'll get it right and once again these forums are a good starting point.

Well, I guess the the "I like to  shoot slow thread", or the "complicated software thread", or the "low iso works better with pro 7 section", or worse, "I can wait as long as needed for lenses thread" is where they set the bar.

Seriously, you'd think Leica read the responses to the Mamiya ZD and translated it wrong or thought after the Hy6 there really was a place for a $50,000 camera system that was slow to bring to market.

I still don't understand this format thing or why people get so hung up on it, because almost medium format has what 5 formats?  The Dslrs have at least 4 formats and the funny thing is on any professional set the only format that any client sees ( or cares about) is the size of the monitor.

BC
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 11:33:10 am by bcooter »

brianc1959

• http://
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 11:42:51 am »

Often the best way to think about a thing is to *compare* it to something else.  I think that thoughtful comparisons are extremely interesting.

gwhitf

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 06:36:11 pm »

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 06:42:41 pm by gwhitf »

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 06:46:48 pm »

I could care less about the 35vs mf debate or any small discrepancies abut bit depth, 3d effect, and everything in between. What I'm sick of is the contempt amongst each other. We come here to learn from each other, of course mistakes are made sometimes, but can we please just learn to get along and move forward? Seriously.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 06:56:09 pm »

No, no, no. It's not about a lack of definition. That is defined. I started  a thread not long ago about at what sensor size does MF start. The honorable collective here said more or less. "Anything bigger than 24X36mm" Which by the way coincides with Photo.net policy.

So, what is this about? To say the truth, I don't know but I can make a (wild) guess.
MF users and advocates are running out of ideas on defending their huge investments.
Sorry, told you it was wild.  

Merry xmas everyone.
Eduardo

Quote from: gwhitf

BobDavid

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 07:11:15 pm »

I'm losing sleep over this issue.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 07:12:18 pm »

Being a moderator of a large photo forum, I have to say "what is the problem"? This is the most civilized site I have ever participated in. If you think this issue is bad on this site, I say you haven't been around the web much. If I was a moderator here I would have to take uppers to stay awake. Try threats of violence, lawsuits and real defamation. This is a frickin tea party.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

JoeKitchen

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 07:16:53 pm »

Quote from: Kirk Gittings
Being a moderator of a large photo forum, I have to say "what is the problem"? This is the most civilized site I have ever participated in. If you think this issue is bad on this site, I say you haven't been around the web much. If I was a moderator here I would have to take uppers to stay awake. Try threats of violence, lawsuits and real defamation. This is a frickin tea party.
Are kidding me, photographers get more intense about this subject.  I mean really, who cares, it's just about what you can do with what you got and whether it is acceptable to you.  
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

michael

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 07:20:16 pm »

Anyone care for a cup of tea? Darjeeling?

Michael

cyberean

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 07:21:44 pm »

Quote from: Graham Mitchell
+1

-pi

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up