Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 Print Dialog Gone  (Read 2711 times)

RonNYC

Epson 3800 Print Dialog Gone
« on: December 20, 2009, 04:31:32 pm »

I use CS4 with an Epson 3800 for about 9 months. When I print, I get an Epson Stylus 3800 Pro Printing Preferences dialog box with four tabs, Main, Paper, Layout, Utility. Now, I get a dialog that says Printing Preferences (although just now it did say Epson Stylus.... but it only has three tabs, which are quite different. I swear I didn't do anything! Just turned the printer off and on. The dialog box says Version 6.50. The Page Layout tab has a little 1 on it as if there were two tabs or the tab had two pages. The original dialog box is version 5.51 (at least according to their on-line manual). This dialog box seems very generic. It has less choices than my Workforce 30.

RON
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 05:06:11 pm by RonNYC »

Per Ofverbeck

• http://elgfoto.se
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 05:11:42 pm »

Quote from: RonNYC
I use CS4 with an Epson 3800 for about 9 months. When I print, I get an Epson Stylus 3800 Pro Printing Preferences dialog box with four tabs, Main, Paper, Layout, Utility. Now, I get a dialog that says Printing Preferences (although just now it did say Epson Stylus.... but it only has three tabs, which are quite different. I swear I didn't do anything! Just turned the printer off and on. The dialog box says Version 6.50. The Page Layout tab has a little 1 on it as if there were two tabs or the tab had two pages. The original dialog box is version 5.51 (at least according to their on-line manual). This dialog box seems very generic. It has less choices than my Workforce 30.

RON

Well, exactly the same thing just happened to me, just as I was about to print my Xmas cards....    I´m at present working on finding an explanation....

What´s your OS and machine?   I´m on an Intel Mac running 10.6.2.  I get the same simplified dialog regardless of what software I try to print from-
Per Ofverbeck
My

RonNYC

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 05:13:02 pm »

Exactly, same problem regardless of software or machine. I use an XP SP3. This is so odd and extremely annoying. I don't recall downloading any kind of "update" from Epson.

I emailed Epson about the problem and if no one solves it for us before then, I'll report back what they say.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 05:33:36 pm by RonNYC »

Adam Schallau

• www.AdamSchallau.com
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 09:41:54 am »

My Printing Preferences recently changed too. I can no longer select Advanced B&W when printing on any fine art or matte paper. I spoke with a CS rep at Epson about it this morning and he said it was a recent change, and then he changed course said it has always been that way. Which is it? Am I crazy, or have I, or have I not been able to print on watercolor paper with MK ink using the Advanced B&W mode in the past?

I'm running an Epson 4800 with the v6.50 driver on a Windows 7/64-bit machine.

RonNYC

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 11:33:11 am »

This is a new driver; Epson has "improved" it without notice. If you poke around you can get to your old settings, at least, get the new driver to work with the settings. The epson rep was not all that pleasant. I said, it would have been nice if Epson sent out an email about it, and he said, Epson can change the driver without notice. He also said they haven't gotten many calls about it. Hmm.

RON

Adam Schallau

• www.AdamSchallau.com
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 11:58:27 am »

Ron,

Any idea how I would get to my old settings? I wasted the entire day yesterday trying to figure out what was going on. I have another issue with the new driver; it does not display ink levels in the Print Preferences (the levels are grayed out) and it shows the PK cartridge loaded...yet the Status Monitor does display the ink levels and it show the (correct) MK ink loaded.

The CS rep at Epson was very short with me and did not want to listen or offer a solution. When I mentioned that I would purchase a different brand of printer the rep said "that's your decision". I can not believe any company in these economic times would push customers away with this kind of attitude and behavior.

Adam

RonNYC

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 12:57:28 pm »

Quote from: Adam Schallau
Ron,

Any idea how I would get to my old settings? I wasted the entire day yesterday trying to figure out what was going on. I have another issue with the new driver; it does not display ink levels in the Print Preferences (the levels are grayed out) and it shows the PK cartridge loaded...yet the Status Monitor does display the ink levels and it show the (correct) MK ink loaded.

The CS rep at Epson was very short with me and did not want to listen or offer a solution. When I mentioned that I would purchase a different brand of printer the rep said "that's your decision". I can not believe any company in these economic times would push customers away with this kind of attitude and behavior.

Adam

I spoke with the Epson rep. He said, unplug the printer, and then delete the Epson3800 icon in Printers and Faxes (assuming you are using Windows). Then, plug the printer back in. You should see a New Hardware message. If you do, then after a while you will see the new icon appear in Printers and Faxes. If that doesn't work, or work properly, you might have to delete the icon, unplug the printer; reboot the computer, then plug it back in. If you don't have the latest driver, then download it from Epson.

I did this and now ink levels appear as before. I still wish I had the old dialog boxes back, however.

RON
(this epson rep was quite nice)

Adam Schallau

• www.AdamSchallau.com
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 01:21:03 pm »

I spoke with the Epson rep. He said, unplug the printer, and then delete the Epson3800 icon in Printers and Faxes (assuming you are using Windows). Then, plug the printer back in. You should see a New Hardware message. If you do, then after a while you will see the new icon appear in Printers and Faxes. If that doesn't work, or work properly, you might have to delete the icon, unplug the printer; reboot the computer, then plug it back in. If you don't have the latest driver, then download it from Epson.

I did this and now ink levels appear as before. I still wish I had the old dialog boxes back, however.

RON
(this epson rep was quite nice)

Ron,

Can you tell me if you can select Advanced B&W with Fine Art papers?

Thanks for the info.

RonNYC

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 02:55:45 pm »

Ron,

Can you tell me if you can select Advanced B&W with Fine Art papers?

Thanks for the info.
YES; things are really different, but it's all there. See the jpg attached.

Adam Schallau

• www.AdamSchallau.com
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 03:40:32 pm »

That's the same print dialog that I have, except I can't print to fine art papers and use the Advanced B&W mode.

Thank you for your help.

RonNYC

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 05:50:18 pm »

That's the same print dialog that I have, except I can't print to fine art papers and use the Advanced B&W mode.

Thank you for your help.
Can you be more specific. That is, what steps are you taking, exactly?

AFairley

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 07:07:23 pm »

I think mine's been looking like that for a while (I did download and install new driver for new Win 7 build maybe 6 weeks ago).
Pages: [1]   Go Up