Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mod Book  (Read 1300 times)

Jae_Moon

• http://
Mod Book
« on: December 20, 2009, 01:20:14 pm »

I recently converted my three years old MacBook to a TouchPad to use as a field tethered computer with my P45 and Arca Metric 69. The conversion is done by Axiotron (http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook) for $700.

As a landscape shooter, I have tried carrying my MacBook with me but it's form factor (awkward screen and keyboard position) and placing it on ground next to tripod and difficulty of shading screen made it less than desirable. I tried the netbook MR reviewed while ago without success (could not make Firewire to work) and was hoping Apple's upcoming(?) iPad would provide me with usable solution.

Then I found Axiotron has been converting MacBook to a TouchPad for last two year or so. It is actually a PenPad, like a Cintiq from Wacom. It has a license from Wacom. They remove the screen and keyboard from MacBook and install a Wacom (or similar) screen on to where the keyboard used to be. Everything else from MacBook stay; dvd, firewire, usb, iSight camera, mike and speaker, etc. I converted mine with Snow Leopard, 2 G ram, 320G hd so I run all my software as before, including PS and C1 and LR.

Since it s now a single piece tablet (same weight as before), I made a light proof pouch in which I carry ModBook and hang it on my tripod center column hook while shooting. So far I've been using with C1 to check the focusing at 100%, tethered and it has been working great. A great side benefit is that now I have a Cintiq pad for PS editing. The screen resolution is same as before and it is matt finish and the pen is 512 step pressure sensitive.

You will need an usb or a bluetooth keyboard if you need to type text a lot, otherwise you have to use the screen keyboard with a pen.

Jae Moon

narikin

Mod Book
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 09:54:06 pm »

great! a photo of your working set up would be appreciated.

I doubt the upcoming Apple Slate will have firewire or an express card slot to add one, so you've probably done the right thing in going this route.

Pages: [1]   Go Up